I think I messed up (22 creedmoor)

PingGong3

I bought a 1:6.5tw 19" Bartlein barrel in hopes of shooting the 85.5 Berger but after reading more, I'm worried they are going to come apart. Is there a speed I can shoot these and they won't come apart or should I move to mono bullets?

Anything around 300,000-325,000 RPM seems to be where the danger zone for cup and core bullets starts. Berger bullets seem to handle higher velocities and RPMs than other manufacturers. The formula for bullet RPMs is below.

Muzzle Velocity X 720 / Twist

An example for your case would be:
3200fps X 720 / 6.5 = 354,000 RPMs

In this scenario, you'd be well into the RPM range where you could blow up a bullet or damage jackets. It may work, or it may not work. The short barrel will neuter muzzle velocities compared to the typical 22-26" barrels. However, you'll still have high enough velocity to be well above 300,000 RPMs. I'd personally try some of the Berger's, but I'd most likely cut my losses and order another barrel with a 1-7.5 or 1-8 twist. I'm not a mono fan, and definitely don't see any reason for them in a Varmint/predator cartridge unless you intend to shoot deer or larger size game with the 22 Creedmoor.

I'd buy a 7.5 twist barrel if you want to shoot frangible lead core jacketed bullets. I think 7.5 is the goldilocks twist in 22 Creedmoor for those wanting to shoot 80-95gr bullets.

Mine's is a 7-twist, and so far so good with these heavyweight bullets.

But there are quite a number of reports of 7-twist barrels wreaking havoc on jacketed bullets. Not many report that problem in 7.5 twist. And basically no problems reported with 8-twist.

Last edited:
Yep, there's always monos. I've run several hammer bullets over 370,000 rpm without issue. Their 83 grain hammer hunter is designed for a 1:6.5 twist. if varmints are your game, you need to be aware the hammer hunter is designed for penetration and 60-70% weight retention.