Thanks, you guys messed things all up.

Just think of it as a ladder. You are at the bottom rung and haven't even yet started the climb to the top.

When the weather clears up enough get out and start shooting. Once you are sighted in and can get a cold bore hit on the bull consistently at 100 or 200yds, (whichever you use for zero) start moving on out by setting up targets at 300-400. When you can consistently get a cold bore hit at those ranges you're ready for more.

One rung at a time you will work your way up. If you try to start at the top of the ladder you are almost certain to end up disappointed.

Till then just focus on putting your rig together and working up some preliminary shooting data so you have a place to get started.

If you can find someone locally to help you out that knows what they are doing it can save you a tremendous amount of time and money. Most likely if you can't find someone local you can network yourself into finding some guys here at this site within reasonable driving distance who will be happy to have you come out and shoot with them.

Having an/some experienced shooter(s) to help you get started is invaluable especially at the cost of ammo and components, not to mention limited supplies of same.

thanks WR I appreciate that advise. I was just doing too much reading here and have no clue to all the new vocabulary you all use. Its foreign just like Japanese to me. It makes me feel like a kid on the outside. But yes one step at a time. Just going to do a good job putting my rifle together.

Brian

Don't worry about it. It is not nearly as hard as some make it sound. Good muzzle vel data make life much easier. A ballistics program to punch it all into and be steady on the gun. Easy. I take people out that have never shot a rifle and have them hit 1000 yard targets. I took a young man out for his 1st deer last season and he had never shot past 100. He shot his deer at 600 yards. 14 years old.

Steve

Don't worry about it. It is not nearly as hard as some make it sound. Good muzzle vel data make life much easier. A ballistics program to punch it all into and be steady on the gun. Easy. I take people out that have never shot a rifle and have them hit 1000 yard targets. I took a young man out for his 1st deer last season and he had never shot past 100. He shot his deer at 600 yards. 14 years old.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that shot of confidence. I am going to do like Wildrose said take it one step at a time. I am putting my rifle together first and then I will go from there with load development and get sighted in at 100 yards. Its going to be one step at a time.

Thanks again Steve

Brian

445, first, Welcome to LRH !!

Second, not all of us here are dialers. I use fast enough calibers I can get out there using drop in the scope alone. I've done most of my longest shots with a simple duplex crosshair. Simply know the back to breastbone (in inches) of your intended game, range, and go up that many body heights and you'll be gutting said critter in a few minutes.
I will eventually build a 1,000+ yard rig (and dial to my hearts content) but at present I am using mildly modded rifles. Having other obligations will do you in at times.

Thanks Lefty. I hope to be a scope dialer in the near future. Going to just put a great rifle together. I have read here enough to know that the rifle I got is a great starting point in the rem 700 Sendero. Cant wait to get out and put some shots through her. But living in NJ yuck kind of limits my range opportunities a good bit.

I will keep everyone informed on my progress.

oh I hope to find another Sendero in either STW or RUM to pair it with this one.

Brian

Thanks Lefty. I ho l e to be a scole dialer in the near future. Going to just put a great rifle together. I have read here enough to know that the rifle I got is a great starting point in the rem 700 Sendero. Cant wait to get out and put some shots through her. But living in NJ yuck kind of limits my range opportunities a good bit.

I will keep everyone informed on my progress.

oh I hope to find another Sendero in either STW or RUM to pair it with this one.

Brian

Im sorry to hear that! NJ, trash! But to each his own.

STUPID AUTO CORRECT!!!!:( Sorry, not calling you trash. Not sure what word got replaced with trash. Sorry.

No problem liltank. I was just kidding anyways. But NJ is trash. Cant stand it here. If it wasn't for my parents getting older and my job being so good I would be gone.

its all good

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.