Testing the Mark 5

Been on a bit of a scope mission the last six months. Since its the off season, it's time to tinker haha. Just testing out new scopes basically.

I started with a VX6HD 4-24X52. Never did find anything wrong with it honestly. Great glass, tracked and RTZ perfect. Kind of a mushy turret though.

Then I went to ATACR 7-35X56. Everything was legit, except the weight (too top heavy on my light rifle) and the rotating eyepiece with magnification.

Then the 4-32X50 NX8. Good scope, but really not that great honestly. Other than durability, everything was fairly average. No wow factor at any feature.

So onto the Mark 5. 5-25X56 PR1 MOA. At just 1oz more than the NX8 I wanted to give it a shot. The VX6 had the best glass and eyebox out of the other 3 and I was hoping to gain that back as well as potential durability and a more crisp turret. Also been wanting to test out FFP for quick wind holds for mid range hunting.

Honestly, it really does check all the boxes for me so far. Crystal clear glass at all magnifications and easy to get behind. Generous eye box and a FULL scope image. No shadowing around the edges of the glass at all. Parallax is smooth and easy to get a crisp image. The turret is super crisp, much better than the VX6 and on par with the ATACR turret. So far RTZ has been great. I spin it several thousand clicks in between range sessions at home, and also at the range in between shots. I'm confident in it now. I really like the reticle. Basically similar to the NX8, which I liked. I didn't like the ATACR reticle. The VX6 TMOA was my favorite though. The POA is actually void of any crosshair, I liked that the most. It is a BIG scope, despite the 30oz weight. But it gathers a ton of light and maintains a great imagine even at 25X, I believe it needs to be that big to accomplish that. I believe I'll hunt with it this season and then get a 3.6-18X44 for this rifle, and put the 5-25 on my 300 Norma when it's finished. So far so good, I'm really liking the scope. Happy to answer any questions about it, or any of the above scopes also.

View attachment 295051
I opt for the 7-35 versions as can't discern much between 5.5 and 7 on low end, much difference 25 vs 35 on upper end.....and can always dial down for mirage etc. But, nice to have higher magnification option. Have two MK 5HD 7-35x56 mounted on two MRADs. Absoultely love those scopes. No issues at all....resolution, clarity, color, brightness, eyebox, tracking all great to my old eyes. Have the NF ATACR 7-35x56 on a MRAD MK22. feel same about it. Paid $2900 for ATACR; $2050 for MK5HD.....plus got a free Kestrel 4DOF (~$500 value each) with each 5HD, Value overwhelmingly to the 5HD!!!! Also, have multiple Sig Tango 6 (~$1500, as I recall) and Sierra6 ($1039) all 5-30x56. Glass slightly under NF and Leupold to my eyes, but really, really like the cant indicator in the scope view....no peeky required. Sierra6 BDX is interesting with solution directly from Sig 3000BDX binos and Kestrel 5700......just beginning exploring. Wish I could post pics of different rigs......old flippy only....smartphone for ballistic apps only. Old guys!!! :) :) :)

Man I would love to fondle one in person, I have been looking at that scope(and the Kahles) for my new 300 PRC but it currently wears an NXS 5.5-22x50 so Its really a want and not a need. How is the reticle at 5 power? It looks a tad thin in the pics, also is the illumination center dot only or full reticle? Looks pretty sexy sittin on that fine rifle!
I do not have the illuminated version. I don't like the illumination, so it's nice to be able to order a model without it completely. The reticle is thin on 5X, but that's expected. I could still kill well past sunset and see the reticle on 5X if need be though.

I have the 5x25x56 on my 30-378 and the 3.6x18x44 on my 28 nosler, I've never tried the other scopes you mentioned but I do have an older Swarovski with the TDS system, right now it sits on top of a model 70 in 264 win mag that I'm getting dialed in for the grandson, like you I have zero issues with either of the Leupolds both have been great so far

I have the 5x25x56 on my 30-378 and the 3.6x18x44 on my 28 nosler, I've never tried the other scopes you mentioned but I do have an older Swarovski with the TDS system, right now it sits on top of a model 70 in 264 win mag that I'm getting dialed in for the grandson, like you I have zero issues with either of the Leupolds both have been great so far
I just bought the 3.6-18 as well. It will go on my 28N and the 5-25 will go on my 300 NMI

We were part of the testing and approval for the Army, have been running a 3.6-18 MK5 for a couple years now at work. I really like this scope. Only thing I don't like is the H59 clone reticle (Army grid style) is pretty darn thin at lower power. 2 of my guys are big into PRS and ran a couple MK5s they personally purchased. The both went down during a competition. Both failed to hold zero, and one the parallax adjustment came off (not the screw holding the turret on). I've been thinking of purchasing my own but their experience has left me leery, even though I can get a 50% discount.

We were part of the testing and approval for the Army, have been running a 3.6-18 MK5 for a couple years now at work. I really like this scope. Only thing I don't like is the H59 clone reticle (Army grid style) is pretty darn thin at lower power. 2 of my guys are big into PRS and ran a couple MK5s they personally purchased. The both went down during a competition. Both failed to hold zero, and one the parallax adjustment came off (not the screw holding the turret on). I've been thinking of purchasing my own but their experience has left me leery, even though I can get a 50% discount.
Well ****, that's a bummer. I guess I'll find out as well. Got a 3.6-18 in mail as we speak.

I've ran this one on some rather large chambered rifles and not had a problem. Gonna give it some more time and see.

I just bought the 3.6-18 as well. It will go on my 28N and the 5-25 will go on my 300 NMI
I realize this is a really old thread but curious what height rings you used for the 3.6-18 on the 28N. I'm getting one and having trouble figuring out what height to get to mount on a long action rail.

I realize this is a really old thread but curious what height rings you used for the 3.6-18 on the 28N. I'm getting one and having trouble figuring out what height to get to mount on a long action rail.
The .94" seekins height rings were fine. With the 44mm objective, you can go even lower, there just aren't many lower options
E68B7D2D-6348-4C75-8364-5EB881EAEBD1.jpeg

That's the only photo I have showing the height with the seekins rings

Dang I agree with all said in you post. I've had all but the Atacr but have shot it although from a heavy hunting rig.

I agree the tmoa retical is my favorite for hunting. I did like the VX6-HDs I've owned but fell for the weight penalty for durability argument and now have two 5-25 mk5's.

We (Sniper School) received our MK22's (x 64) with 7-35x56 Leupold MK5's late last year and 3.6-18x44 MK5's for our M110's more recently (x 45). These will be run about as hard as a scope will ever be. If this thread stays alive in the future I'll give updates on how they perform.
I also have a 5-25 on my competition rifle and do not baby it.