NX8 or mark 5

Wether or not you care, Tanget you are not talking about the same think Mach 1 is talking about. 99% of scope users have zero clue that the reticle shifts between shots. It may be as small as a tenth of a minute but some if not most shift. Your rifle may not be accurate enough or you may not be accurate enough to see it but it often happens. There is only ONE way to check this and it is with a scope checker and a frozen scope. Tracking is a completely different subject.

As far as what Leupolds I have seen failed the answer is none as I avoid them like the plague. The word reputation does not mean one persons experience it means a collective and it is almost always earned good or bad. There are too many great proven options for me to chance it. It have spent quite a bit of time with a Mark 5Hd for a Gunwerks review and it was ok but many scopes I prefer even if it was dependable.

I know which one I spend my money on. I don't get to chose yours.

Your test is fine for you I guess. Just inadequate for me. I haven't tested a mark 5. I hope they are
A vast improvement over what leupold used to put out.
Like I said, you wanna detail your methodology and your results of Mk5 and/or NX8, I'm all ears. Heck, I'm interested to see all your Kahles as well.

Mach 1, the main thread I believe you are referring to is gone because too many people had their feelings hurt that there brands would not hold zero. I do believe someone in the industry took all the data and hosted it on a website. I will look for it.

Jim Shocky,Shoots Leupold,cuz ''his life depends on it''But hes only shot about every species in the world.Wish I was his kido_O

Jim Shocky,Shoots Leupold,cuz ''his life depends on it''But hes only shot about every species in the world.Wish I was his kido_O
You ever see Jim shoot further than 450 yards? Hell your scope could shift an entire moa and still make a clean kill at that range.

Man the way muzzle loaders are today,Id be dialing.I dial my bow for everyshot,ya Im a single pinner.I was always suprised how conservative he was.Guy in town here does long range shooting with old time stuff.So does a guy that was captain of our target pistol team back when.That ol Shocky popped into my head.

Last edited:
As far as what Leupolds I have seen failed the answer is none as I avoid them like the plague.
I think this is important to note. You don't have any personal experience but bad mouth them every chance you get. The reputations of the VX5HD VX6HD and Mark 5HD Are really good - at least as good as the nightforce NX8

Last edited:
I think this is important to note. You don't have any personal experience but bad mouth them every chance you get. The reputations of the VX5HD VX6HD and Mark 5HD Are really good - at least as good as the nightforce NX8

I have not bad mouthed them at all. I am stating a fact. That fact is they have a horrible reputation for tracking. I can't help it your feelings are hurt by this. Show me one post where I have made an incorrect statement. Dude you really need to learn to read.

I have not bad mouthed them at all. I am stating a fact. That fact is they have a horrible reputation for tracking. I can't help it your feelings are hurt by this. Show me one post where I have made an incorrect statement. Dude you really need to learn to read.
How is that a fact? Because you said it? You are the king of stating your opinions like facts. And then when somebody disagrees with you you get all upset and take your ball and go home.

How is that a fact? Because you said it? You are the king of stating your opinions like facts.

You have got to be kidding, right????????Google leupold tracking. Negative, negative, and negative. The FACT is they have a bad reputation for tracking. Look I could not possibly care any less what you spend your money on. I will stick with known good equipment. Any time a new guy asks I will continue to point out the FACT they have a bad reputation. They can then go do their due diligence to see what they want to spend there money on. I have no clue why you have it out for me but but it is getting pretty tiring. Anyone with a brain and some fingers can google "Leupold tracking" and see I am right you are not. This is not new either. It has been going on since we started dialing for elevation.

This is the post that for some reason angered you or hurt your feelings.

I personally like the NX8 far more than the Leupold. Leupolds do not have a great reputation for tracking. Some will defend them but failures are still prevalent. I think for the money and with all the current options why would you even chance it? NF all the way for me.

This is my opinion. I have used the Mark 5HD. My statement stands. Give your opinion and move the on. Good luck to the OP. I have better things to do.

Last edited:
I have used the Mark 5HD
But it didn't fail and there weren't tracking issues with the Mark 5HD? Your preference might be the NX8, but the Mark 5HD doesn't have a reputation for poor tracking. A simple google search will confirm that. Their new high end scopes are awesome and function flawlessly.

It is possible that a company like Leupold had their ear to the ground and improved their product. Guys bought a VXII for $300 15 years ago and expect it to track like a $2k scope. It doesnt and they get butthurt and whine on the internet.

My mark 5 on a 9# 338NM.Before that it had about 300 rnds with a Mark 4, the Mark 4 was on a 7#338NM for 300 rnds.Will see how the 5 holds?I would have no problem with a NF,but this route saved me some and its my backup,so to speak

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.