NX8 or mark 5

JP20

Looking to upgrade a few scopes and I've got it narrowed down to these two. Looking for anyone that's used both or looked thru both side by side. Any feedback is appreciated

I personally like the NX8 far more than the Leupold. Leupolds do not have a great reputation for tracking. Some will defend them but failures are still prevalent. I think for the money and with all the current options why would you even chance it? NF all the way for me.

I like my Mark 5 better than my March,unless im tryinig to cut weight.Ive had Leo on big 338's for over 35 years and no failures.I been shooting elk at distance for many years,as have alot of mountain hunters.NF are nice scopes

The larger scope being just easier to see ans read.I like the turrets better and the locking ZS.Also my March 3-24x52 f1 not as clear,and is not sharp past 20x.The parallax on March is very picky.I do prefer the March for a packer rifle though and like the low turrets ,since I front carry,and run binos on front off my shoulder straps

I'll start by saying I'm not a big Leupold fan. However, after the Mk5 came out and initial experiences suggested it was a solid scope, I decided to try one out. I bought mine in early summer and took it out beyond 1,000 yards a bunch of times. I only have about 200 - 300 rounds on a relatively light 7 rem mag, but it has worked great so far.

This afternoon I had a few minutes of free time so I ran a true tracking test. My particular scope tracked 100% to 55 MOA over and over. So it's obviously a small sample, but I'm not too concerned about the Mk5 tracking.
2C430675-FAD3-4C3B-B9F0-32FF967EBEBE.jpeg

7EC93A98-2990-47AF-AD41-BE170605B898.jpeg

I have an NX8, just ordered 3.6-18x44 pr1-moa as well as a 5-25 in the same reticle. After looking through a few, their glass is quite good. I thing the pr1-moa reticle is absolutely perfect for long range hunters, plus has a floating center dot which all my scopes are going to. My Athlon, minox, NF, and Burris scopes all have floating dots or floating x hair, mixture of mil and moa, but I'm pretty excited to put these two leupolds to the test. The 5-25 will be going on a 338 rum that'll be around 11# ready to go, so I'll test the durability out. Looking forward the evaluation.

I personally like the NX8 far more than the Leupold. Leupolds do not have a great reputation for tracking. Some will defend them but failures are still prevalent. I think for the money and with all the current options why would you even chance it? NF all the way for me.

You have brought Leupolds reputation up on several threads, but never clarified which scopes you personally used that wouldnt track. Leupold has come a long way with their VX5HD VX6HD and Mark 5HD scopes. I can't speak to any of their other scopes, the HD series was my first experience with them. Every one I have owned or got behind has tracked perfectly, which has been about 10. Most of them were run out to 1000 yards and back. Maybe they had some tracking problems in the past, but they seem to have addressed them.

I'll start by saying I'm not a big Leupold fan. However, after the Mk5 came out and initial experiences suggested it was a solid scope, I decided to try one out. I bought mine in early summer and took it out beyond 1,000 yards a bunch of times. I only have about 200 - 300 rounds on a relatively light 7 rem mag, but it has worked great so far.

This afternoon I had a few minutes of free time so I ran a true tracking test. My particular scope tracked 100% to 55 MOA over and over. So it's obviously a small sample, but I'm not too concerned about the Mk5 tracking.
View attachment 166158
View attachment 166157
Where did you find that target??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.