Testing the Mark 5

Huntnful

Been on a bit of a scope mission the last six months. Since its the off season, it's time to tinker haha. Just testing out new scopes basically.

I started with a VX6HD 4-24X52. Never did find anything wrong with it honestly. Great glass, tracked and RTZ perfect. Kind of a mushy turret though.

Then I went to ATACR 7-35X56. Everything was legit, except the weight (too top heavy on my light rifle) and the rotating eyepiece with magnification.

Then the 4-32X50 NX8. Good scope, but really not that great honestly. Other than durability, everything was fairly average. No wow factor at any feature.

So onto the Mark 5. 5-25X56 PR1 MOA. At just 1oz more than the NX8 I wanted to give it a shot. The VX6 had the best glass and eyebox out of the other 3 and I was hoping to gain that back as well as potential durability and a more crisp turret. Also been wanting to test out FFP for quick wind holds for mid range hunting.

Honestly, it really does check all the boxes for me so far. Crystal clear glass at all magnifications and easy to get behind. Generous eye box and a FULL scope image. No shadowing around the edges of the glass at all. Parallax is smooth and easy to get a crisp image. The turret is super crisp, much better than the VX6 and on par with the ATACR turret. So far RTZ has been great. I spin it several thousand clicks in between range sessions at home, and also at the range in between shots. I'm confident in it now. I really like the reticle. Basically similar to the NX8, which I liked. I didn't like the ATACR reticle. The VX6 TMOA was my favorite though. The POA is actually void of any crosshair, I liked that the most. It is a BIG scope, despite the 30oz weight. But it gathers a ton of light and maintains a great imagine even at 25X, I believe it needs to be that big to accomplish that. I believe I'll hunt with it this season and then get a 3.6-18X44 for this rifle, and put the 5-25 on my 300 Norma when it's finished. So far so good, I'm really liking the scope. Happy to answer any questions about it, or any of the above scopes also.

IMG_3018.jpeg

I had two, sold one as an option to entice a buyer on a rifle. Fantastic scopes, now I need to order another one to replace the one I just sold. They also offer fantastic leo/military prices. The most impressive thing I found with both was superb tracking. In the last couple years I havnt had to rezero with either.

Nice, thanks for the reviews. I have 2 VX-6HDs but have never tried the Mk 5. Been looking at the Mk 5 but can't get over the hurdle of FFP.

First picture you posted I was like that's Ca. Looked at your profile and yup.lol. Hard to miss those rolling hills with oaks.

Great scope in my opinion and the PR1 MOA is my favorite leupold option. I have ran them against a lot of others and the only one I slightly prefer is the kahles due to left hand windage option. If not for that the mark 5 would be on most of my rifles. My two hunting rifles that have the mark 5 do have the 3-18

All of them are out of stock at leupold as of yesterday. There was one model of vx6 in stock. A few vx5s but not illuminated and no vx3 hds at all. I guess covid still keeping production down in the USA.
shep

Been on a bit of a scope mission the last six months. Since its the off season, it's time to tinker haha. Just testing out new scopes basically.

I started with a VX6HD 4-24X52. Never did find anything wrong with it honestly. Great glass, tracked and RTZ perfect. Kind of a mushy turret though.

Then I went to ATACR 7-35X56. Everything was legit, except the weight (too top heavy on my light rifle) and the rotating eyepiece with magnification.

Then the 4-32X50 NX8. Good scope, but really not that great honestly. Other than durability, everything was fairly average. No wow factor at any feature.

So onto the Mark 5. 5-25X56 PR1 MOA. At just 1oz more than the NX8 I wanted to give it a shot. The VX6 had the best glass and eyebox out of the other 3 and I was hoping to gain that back as well as potential durability and a more crisp turret. Also been wanting to test out FFP for quick wind holds for mid range hunting.

Honestly, it really does check all the boxes for me so far. Crystal clear glass at all magnifications and easy to get behind. Generous eye box and a FULL scope image. No shadowing around the edges of the glass at all. Parallax is smooth and easy to get a crisp image. The turret is super crisp, much better than the VX6 and on par with the ATACR turret. So far RTZ has been great. I spin it several thousand clicks in between range sessions at home, and also at the range in between shots. I'm confident in it now. I really like the reticle. Basically similar to the NX8, which I liked. I didn't like the ATACR reticle. The VX6 TMOA was my favorite though. The POA is actually void of any crosshair, I liked that the most. It is a BIG scope, despite the 30oz weight. But it gathers a ton of light and maintains a great imagine even at 25X, I believe it needs to be that big to accomplish that. I believe I'll hunt with it this season and then get a 3.6-18X44 for this rifle, and put the 5-25 on my 300 Norma when it's finished. So far so good, I'm really liking the scope. Happy to answer any questions about it, or any of the above scopes also.

View attachment 295051
Nice, I have one of the NXS 5-25X56 early models, I think I bought it not too long after they were first introduced, great scope I love it, it's as good as the day I bought it. Personally, I've always been a big Leupold guy, especially back when they had the original Ultra scopes they'd built for the Military, with that said Nightforce is pretty hard to beat. Good luck, Cheers.

Rem 700 AI .308 Sniper 4 .jpg
AIRem 700 custom .308 Sniper Rifle _4_.JPG

Well it sounds like Leo may have fixed some of the issues that plagued them for years. May have to try one again. It's just hard , when for a few hundred more, I can get a kahles k624.

Well it sounds like Leo may have fixed some of the issues that plagued them for years. May have to try one again. It's just hard , when for a few hundred more, I can get a kahles k624.
Oh man, I looked hard at that Kahles as well! I ended up going with the leupold because I 100% didn't want an exposed windage turret, and I wanted the locking elevation turret, and it was also a few ounces lighter so that helped sway me as well. This is strictly a hunting rifle that is abused and strapped to a pack and drug through brush ect. but that I enjoy shooting long range with, so the features I was looking for are for hunting purposes.

Man I would love to fondle one in person, I have been looking at that scope(and the Kahles) for my new 300 PRC but it currently wears an NXS 5.5-22x50 so Its really a want and not a need. How is the reticle at 5 power? It looks a tad thin in the pics, also is the illumination center dot only or full reticle? Looks pretty sexy sittin on that fine rifle!