Testing the Mark 5

I am not doubting your experience. I am just going off of what I have seen. I own (2) Mark 5's and have no issues traveling to multiple states on airplanes and trucks. I shoot quite a few NRL hunter comps and the Mark 5 is by farrrr the most popular scope. I would say (7) out of 10 top winners shoot Mark 5's. Most are sponsored. But they would not shoot them if they couldn't hold zero or track. Morgan King. Jon Pynch. Matt Alwine. Rusty Ulmer. Nick Gardazi. Jake Mallard.

These guys come to win. And have been shooting them for years and I know a handful of them personally. And they would not be rocking the scopes if they couldn't hold zero.
I own 6 mark5's and they have all been good as well. With that said I'm in the market for 4 new scopes for builds I had Alex do and just got back. I was leaning towards nx8's this go around. Will I regret that decision? I have a nx8 in the house now thats for a build I'm putting together for a friend. I don't hate it but I don't love it. I just like the reputation more then anything.

Why do people fixate on grass quality for scopes? It's about the last thing I'd worry about. Tracking and zero retention are far more important.

If you can clearly see what you're aiming at, the "glass" is probably good enough.
Low light shots. Some having coatings that make it easier when looking into the sun. When your talking the top end of scopes, they are real close on glass, so it's a coin toss on them.

I have a nx8 in the house now thats for a build I'm putting together for a friend. I don't hate it but I don't love it. I just like the reputation more then anything.
Do you have the 20x or 32x ? I find the 20x to be a little more finicky than the 32x as far as eye box, eye relief, and parallax. The 5-25x Mark 5 to me beats the NX8's but.... I am a bit worried hearing of all the failures but mine have stood up dialing to 1,600+ yards and RTZ.

Last edited:
Low light shots. Some having coatings that make it easier when looking into the sun. When your talking the top end of scopes, they are real close on glass, so it's a coin toss on them.

I suppose. I've never looked through a scope, be it swfa, bushnell, nightforce, and "omg this just won't work"....

It is an aiming device, not a glassing instrument. Binos and spotters yes, glass quality is everything.

I suppose. I've never looked through a scope, be it swfa, bushnell, nightforce, and "omg this just won't work"....

It is an aiming device, not a glassing instrument. Binos and spotters yes, glass quality is everything.
Higher end glass helps with spotting trace or splash for follow up shots, makes it easier to cut through mirage, better depth of view for reading winds, and then there's low lights as well. There's a lot of things good glass helps with. Don't go broke getting it but always buy the best you can afford. You spend so much on your rifle and to feed it, why cheap out on what allows you to make the shot

Love my Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56, a the heavy side but really like it's clear view and tracks great. For less money take a look at the Meopta 5-30x56 very good glass & US Optics TS 5-25x50 is mighty good. Great customer service as I had my crosshairs changed and at the time they were out, so they upgraded my scope with one that wasn't available at the time I brought it at no cost to me.