Razor vs Mark 5

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by jwalks, Jun 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jwalks

jwalks Member

Is a leupold Mark 5, 5-25x56 an upgrade from a gen 1 vortex razor 5-20x50? Or is there much difference between them, clarity wise and low light performance? Thanks for any input

2. gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug Official LRH Sponsor

I think you'll find the Leupold Mark 5 series to be superior quality to the Vortex Razor both optically and mechanically

jwalks likes this.
  3. OhYtD

OhYtD Well-Known Member

I'm a happy owner of three of the evil L&S Mk4 scopes have a Vortex now. A Razor Gen2 1-6x. It is heavy 25.2 ounces for the Vortex versus 23.6 for my L&S Mk6 3-18x, but short, at 10.1 compared to 11.9 for the 3-18x. As a night vision hunting scope to put behind various i^2 and thermal clipons, the Vortex is pretty much perfect and I got a "smokin" deal, so I'm happy to have it. Glass is great and it comes literally close to achieving the aim of an "invisible" scope when looking through the eye piece. I'm just waiting on the mount dang it.

jwalks likes this.
  4. jwalks

jwalks Member

Thanks guys

5. freebird63

freebird63 Well-Known Member

Another plus for the Mark 5 is its made here in the USA at their Beaverton Oregon plant. Their glass is made else where to their spec's. You won't regret getting a Leupold Mark 5HD

jwalks likes this.
  6. jwalks

jwalks Member

Thank you for your input! I’ve decided on Mark 5 but now I can’t make up my mind on 3.6-18 or 5-25 on hunting rifle lol

7. blackaj

blackaj Well-Known Member

I have both Mk5's and they are awesome.
    I shot them side by side and the 5-25 is easier to find targets quickly, has brighter glass due to larger objective, and appears to be more clear.
    You'll love either one, and if you're doing more hunting than target shooting the 3.6-18 will serve you well.
    I'll say this it's incredibly compact and pretty light, good features on a hunting rifle for sure.
    BTW that PR-1 moa reticle is fantastic!

jwalks likes this.
  8. jwalks

jwalks Member

Thank you!

9. jay308

jay308 New Member

I own both of these exact scopes. Glass is definitely better on the MK5HD. Both of these scopes are great for long distance due the amount of vertical travel the they have.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    jwalks likes this.
  10. Plinkit

Plinkit Member

3.6-18 does carry a rather small footprint for a 18 power scope.

If you ever think you may use the gun for a night time set up with a clip on then the 3.6-18 no question.

I've started to gravitate towards the lower mag so I can have a larger fov anyway.

And 18x should let you make shots much further than were would be likely to take hunting shots. You could go to any 1k+ steel range and not be able to blame misses in the magnification.

jwalks likes this.
  11. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Don’t have a Razor but have been testing a MK5 with a new reticle for a few months and, although not a big Leupold fan, I really like it. The 10.5 mil turrets and indicator mark for the wind turret in a non conventional place kind of seems odd (difference). However the elevation numbers are marked in multiple tiers (revolutions) and if the wind indicator ever throws me off I’ll just black it out and make one where it should be.:D
    Glass is pretty good, a bit better than our MK4 ERT’s and my NXS (plus it is smaller and lighter).

jwalks likes this.
  12. OLI62

OLI62 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Bravo, any issues with tracking or holding zero?

Really looking hard at buying the Mark 5 as it checks a lot of boxes for me.

13. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Nope, so far so good. Not with the one I’ve been running or the few my guys have been (.308, .300 WinMag, .375 Snipetac). Come August/September I plan on running several hundred rounds through it, adjusting for all ranges.

OLI62 likes this.
  14. OLI62

OLI62 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Thank you for the feedback. I haven't bought a Leupold in 12 years. This looks to be a scope that'll change that.