Testing the 142 LR Accubond

I think the point of the ABLR is to expand at lower velocities. That's why I use them. Expansion is more important than 'energy' and I dont shoot super high velocity cartridges so bullets that are a bit more reliable at low velocities extend my range quite a bit. Bergers can be unpredictable at lower velocities. Not knocking Berger. They make great products. Each one between nosler and Berger has their pros and cons. I use both. And then some...

These 142 accubonds will definitely expand at lower velocities. I am shooting them at 2650 fps and have shot many prairie dogs with them and they scatter them all over the hill side. To me they should zip right through them considering they are supposed to be a mid size game hunting bullet, but they expand rapidly. I would be afraid they would not hold together long enough on bigger game like elk or mule deer."

I have now started using the 140 berger hunting vld and have had way better luck with the bc working with my range finder. The berger is 31.4 moa at 1120yds with 3.3 moa for 5mph wind. 142 ablr is 33.1 moa and 3.7moa for 5mph.

whats up farmerbrown. Thanks for posting your findings! I was quite excited when they released the 142 ablr. Not so much anymore. Ill stick with my 140 bergers. Thanks again to both of you.

Yessir no problem zsteinle. It was all alf, i just chimed in because i was so excited about these 142 ablr also. I will also stick with the 140 Berger hunting vld. I just dont understand why they over exagerate their bc numbers soooo bad! It got me really interested at first, but after testing i wont buy another one. I am really interested to see what the BC GOD Brian Litz comes up with in his testing.

So not really sure about all the science for the BC thing totally but was the 142's bullet built for the 26 nosler maybe. I would think the 26 nosler has a 1/8 twist or better. Also with the speed it produces and the 1-8 twist do we get a better stability factor and a better generated BC when testing. And we all know that for the last couple of years high BC numbers sails bullets. Hell I remember back when it was more about sectional density or how the bullet was bonded with its jacket so it would have deep penetration. Not nocking either on because I have both on my reloading bench right now. Just haven't tested the nosler yet. The berger is a proven bullet and its listed BC works from what I have seen with shooting the 140LD's in my 6.5er. But I love the write up. Great work and better shooting.

So not really sure about all the science for the BC thing totally but was the 142's bullet built for the 26 nosler maybe. I would think the 26 nosler has a 1/8 twist or better. Also with the speed it produces and the 1-8 twist do we get a better stability factor and a better generated BC when testing. And we all know that for the last couple of years high BC numbers sails bullets. Hell I remember back when it was more about sectional density or how the bullet was bonded with its jacket so it would have deep penetration. Not nocking either on because I have both on my reloading bench right now. Just haven't tested the nosler yet. The berger is a proven bullet and its listed BC works from what I have seen with shooting the 140LD's in my 6.5er. But I love the write up. Great work and better shooting.

I know that high bc sales more bullets to start with. But after they buy them and run the advertised bc in a balistic program and it is not even close to right. Isnt that gonna hurt their sales from then on? Im just saying that even at .550 bc that is pretty dang good and they are a good shooting bullet, so why not just advertise the real bc numbers.

I know that high bc sales more bullets to start with. But after they buy them and run the advertised bc in a balistic program and it is not even close to right. Isnt that gonna hurt their sales from then on? Im just saying that even at .550 bc that is pretty dang good and they are a good shooting bullet, so why not just advertise the real bc numbers.

I am not sure about this but I think the vast majority of shooters that look for the high bc never use an app or dial a scope. They just see the higher number and figure they can hold top of the back farther out.

my .02

Steve

I have been watching this post and wondering what are the measurement of this
bullet. Does it have a long beaning surface and short nose length. What is wrong
with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.