Tested! 6.5mm 142gr Accubond Long Range vs the 142 gr Sierra Matchking.

Konrad.INc

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know what I found out about the new 142gr Long range accubonds and how I have found them to compare to the Sierra Matchkings so far. I was fortunate enough to pick up 3 boxes of the new accubonds when the new hunting department opened at a store in Coeurdalene ID. I am focusing on BC and some velocity in this post, accuracy will come later. I only had 25 pieces of new Norma Brass available to do this testing so by no means is it complete but I think there is enough data to prove my final point.

Tikka Sporter in 260 Rem with the Factory 24 inch barrel 1:8 twist
Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 Long Range Target in Warne Rings
Velocities were measured at 10feet from the Muzzle with a Chrony Chronograph.
Temp 56F
Altitude ~300ft MSL
Humidity: High (it's Oregons Willamate Valley in December)
Sky conditions: Cloudy (it's Oregons willamate Valley in December)
Wind: 1-2mph left to right
New Norma Brass
Winchester large rifle primers

H4350 velocities seated at 2.850 OAL
43.0gr -2683fps
43.5gr -2700fps
44.0gr -2724fps
44.5gr -2753fps
45.0gr -2780fps

IMR7828SSC velocities seated at 2.850 OAL
45.0gr -2578fps
45.5gr -2600fps
46.0gr -2628fps
46.5gr -2682fps
47.0gr -2695fps

The H4350 loads closely matched what I see in load manuals for velocity, but that was not the case with the 7828SSC. The nosler manual 7 states I should be pushing over 2800 fps but I didn't get anywhere near that.

I checked point of impact with a 5 shot group at 100 yards loaded with 44.5gr H4350 and the long range Accubonds seated at 2.850. They were right on center and the velocities were 2753, 2763, 2751, 2773, 2733 with a 1 MOA group. The very next target I tried my gold standard load of 44.5Gr H4350 and 142gr Sierra Matchkings loaded at 2.830 OAL with Remington brass. All 5 were in the center of the target with a .5 MOA Group. I averaged 2710fps which happens to be my validated velocity with my Matchking load. I have won a few matches with this load and rifle combo so I'm confident that data is right.

Now here is the interesting part, I went back to 600yards and shot two 5 shot groups back to back to see how the BC compares. One group was 44.5gr H4350 with the new Nosler Long Range Accubonds and the second group was 44.5gr of H4350 and the 142gr Sierra Matchkings. I dialed up 13.5 minutes for both groups. My only goal here was to see how the bullet drop compares. The listed BC for the accubonds is .719 and is .595 for the Matchkings. (Yes I know it changes with velocity) however because the long range accubonds were chronographing faster and supposedly have a higher BC I fully expected them to have less bullet drop than my Matchking load.

Drum roll.

They weren't. The bullet drop at 600 yards was nearly identical. I'm curious to know if there is anyone else out there that have tested the 142gr Long Range Accubonds and if so what are your results? I'm not saying anything bad about Nosler but I would like to understand how their data and my results are so different.

They do exsist. A 142 gr Long Range Accubond and a 142 gr Sierra Matchking together.

Attachments

• IMG_20151208_234709861.jpg
    IMG_20151208_234709861.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 669
Target on the right are the Long Range Accubonds and the target on the left are Matchkings. I know these aren't amazing groups shot at 600 yards as they are both a little over 1 MOA. The shooter is woefully out of practice. Too much time spent getting married and moving to Oregon. This is a standard 300 yard high-power target if anyone is interested. Yes I know there are other holes in the targets, I marked all of them with my pen before I shot. I marked all my shots with white golf tees.

Attachments

• IMG_20151205_152559329.jpg
    IMG_20151205_152559329.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 773
I've measured the G7 BC's on these bullets as:

Sierra .264 cal 142 grain MatchKing: 0.301
Nosler .264 cal 142 grain LR Accubond: 0.293

Less than a 3% advantage in favor of the MatchKing.

-Bryan

Thanks for the info Bryan,
I was hoping for a bullet that would outperform the Matchking that I could also use for hunting. It doesn't sound like I will find that in the Accubond Long Range. Maybe the new hornady Eld-x will do it.....or maybe Sierra will come out with something. I was hoping the new TMK was also going to be a hunting bullet but I haven't seen anything from Sierra about being able to use it as such. I guess my only consolation for now is the Long Range Accubond is close enough to the Matchking that I can practice with the SMKs and hunt with the LRAB at least until they are more readily avalible on the shelf. So, on to the next part for accuracy and velocity. Im not hijacking my own thread but I want to shoot these bullets at 2900 fps, maybe it's time to go 260AI or 6.5x284 so I can have a little more killing power out at 600 yards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bryan,
I was hoping for a bullet that would outperform the Matchking that I could also use for hunting. It doesn't sound like I will find that in the Accubond Long Range. Maybe the new hornady Eld-x will do it.....or maybe Sierra will come out with something. I was hoping the new TMK was also going to be a hunting bullet but I haven't seen anything from Sierra about being able to use it as such. I guess my only consolation for now is the Long Range Accubond is close enough to the Matchking that I can practice with the SMKs and hunt with the LRAB at least until they are more readily avalible on the shelf. So, on to the next part for accuracy and velocity. Im not hijacking my own thread but I want to shoot these bullets at 2900 fps, maybe it's time to go 260AI or 6.5x284 so I can have a little more killing power out at 600 yards.

Hey Konrad......I lived in the C'da area a majority of my life until last fall. I have never heard of this store. Where are they and when did they open?
Also, you might need a 6.5 SS with a coal under 3" and velocity toping out at 3300':D
.........Rich

im thinking 260AI or 6.5x284 I have never heard of the 6.5 SS, what is it? It used to be the Big R store by Costco and black sheep.

Last edited:
In all reality, if you run the numbers to 1000 yards between the two, the difference really isn't worth sweating over. With the improved expansion ability of the ABLR, it is a viable contender compared against the SMK. I certainly am not worried about a 3% difference. A 140 class 6.5 bullet is a 140 class bullet. Be happy for that.

3% is significant and insignificant all at the same time. I'm happy that there is a hunting bullet that is only 3% different than a match bullet. However I was hoping for a much higher BC, simply because that is what was stated by nosler. I know the Sierra numbers are a little inflated but not nearly as much as Nosler.

I came across this. I'm pretty shocked. You posted a while ago on 11 accubond LR's and all came in between 88 and 99% as advertised BC's. with a average of 91%. Mean While this .264 142 gr came in around 70% of advertised BC? I didn't expect the 129gr & 142 gr to be so close. I'm not questioning you just shocked. I was hoping tests came in with this bullet at least around G1 of 610-.630 or better. But Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.