Testing Hornady's new CX bullet

Very well done and extremely informative! Thank you so much for taking all that time to share this with us. I am sure a bullet constructed of a solid metal has its usage on truly big game animals.

Thanks for the article. I have been testing some 250CX in my 375H&H and the results are promising. When Barnes came out with the 250TTSX I thought it would be the ideal NA bullet for the 375 but unfortunately in my rifle the accuracy was disappointing. I have only shot a couple of ladders so far but the CX seems to be more consistent.

Not saying these new Hornady bullets won't put animals down but I have yet to see Gavin or anyone new on ultimatereloader for that matter say something bad about anything. Gavin just comes across as one of the biggest shills ever
I think the key with their current content is to think "presenter" rather than "reviewer". Their product setup videos are very good, production value has gone way up in recent years, and the type of content has broadened a lot. That being said, I started watching the channel very early on and feel like it is less and less of a reloading channel with each passing year.

I think the key with their current content is to think "presenter" rather than "reviewer".
Yep, that's why I responded as such.
"I" have no problem with Gavin; end-users need to synthesize the presented information regardless of who is doing it. Do "I" agree with everything Gavin says in his product reviews? Not at all. In short, end-users need to do due diligence in their research.

It is good to have options with monolithic bullets because rifles seem more sensitive to them. Lead core bullets are able to squish and seal a barrel more easily than all-copper. consequently, the exact diameter of a bore may fit one all-copper bullet better than another. Having both TTSX and CX bullets available in tipped versions is a definite plus.
Another bullet to add to the mix are the Hammers. Their multiple sinusoidal grooves have lower engraving pressure and may be a little more forgiving to barrel differences. The CX appears to copy a part of the Hammer smooth-edged groove design, but they only have two grooves and a lot of shank. The Hammers also function differently at terminus. The nose blows into little copper pieces and the remaining blunt-nose core penetrates very well along with good damage caused by the minutely expanded blunt face, plus whatever the nose pieces contribute.

Of course, I would hunt with all of them, depending on what the rifle shot more accurately.

I looked for the specs on the 190 cx .30 for the oal couldn't find. Does anyone have this info? I have used the gmx for several seasons using the 130 .270 very accurate and great on deer and pigs. If the cx is more better I'll bite.

I forgot to add-I loved you used your No.1.

Ya, that was fun. Shooting at that short of range, it's real easy to figure things out using the factory sights. The scope sits higher, and it will work, but this was fun, shooting with iron sights. :) The Number One is a sweet rifle.

It's the only 7mm Rem Mag I own anymore. Shoots some loads real well, but I haven't got the accuracy quite pinned down with this bullet yet. Playing with seating depth now. Heck, I'll probably run out of bullets about the time I get it all dialed in!

Regards, Guy

I owned a Ruger No 1 in .22-250 for a number of years, but could never get it to shoot very well. Maybe my shooting, but since I was doing better with other rifles, I suspect the rifle.

And of course the No 1 has many critics because of poor accuracy, partly (I have read) because of the manner in which they attach the forend.

I wish the No. 1 shot better -- I think it is a lovely design and, of course, allows for a longer barrel with less overall length and weight due to its shorter action.

Waiting to test the new CX 190 .30 cal on a Wyoming black bear in May. The accuracy is outstanding and great velocity from a 300 PRC and N570 with Lapua brass.

What is your muzzle velocity and what is the calculated distance to suit their 2K FPS terminal velocity. I have a couple of 8 pounders of N570 to burn through a couple 300 WM and 30 NOSLER. The former shoots the 215 Hybrids exceedingly well, just want to play with heavy monos.