Hornady CX- New 2021

Copper kills! higher velocities what's not to like besides price
deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Doing some load development in a Remington 700 SS BDL 24" 7mm Rem Mag with the 150 CX. Been using new Rem brass, fed 215, and Hodgdon 4831SC and Reloader 23 both are 100 fps under the published data. Ran the Hodgdon over max by one full grain by .2 increments got a very light sticky bolt on the last 2 increments and no signs of pressure on the brass. Can only get about 2800fps with the Hodgdon and 2900 with the reloader 23. First try with a monolithic bullet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I tested some GMX in my 280AI a few years back. I normally shoot Barnes back in those days. The GMX is guilding metal and is harder than pure copper. While I've never had a Barnes fail to expand in any caliber yet, I did have a GMX pencil thru a WT doe. It exited the same size hole that it entered. The second shot expanded and exited and put the doe down within 25-30 yds. Never touched another one. To date and dozens of deer later, never a failure of a barnes or hammer. JME
Hornady is an expert at reinventing products and putting the hype to it for sales

I'm pretty sure these are less aerodynamic than the GMXs. IIRC the G1 of the 270 130gr GMX was .460. The CX is advertised as .4. Likewise the lighter 7mm bullet was .48 and is now .43. Maybe its just Hornady adjusting their BC to be more accurate, but that seems like a huge drop. Hopefully these will open up easier, the GMXs needed a lot more speed than about any other mono.
How about some doing some accuracy results of the CX. Reloads or Factory ammo. I am getting a bit burned out on the gel phenomena.

I've loaded the 165 gr. CX for my .30-06 using H4350. From my 24" barrel I'm getting an average MV of just below 2,900 fps with an extremely low S-D. The barrel just seems to love 'em.
No kills yet. I've got a pile of bonded bullets in several flavors I've got to use up on animals, but I'm ready for when the loony toons declare a lead-free zone.