Testing Hornady's new CX bullet

Great info would love to see how they do at lower velocity's. Please do some testing on Barnes and compare
The two. Thanks for the good work keep it up
nhhunter has a good suggestion: let's compare mono bullets in ballistic gel, and at lower velocities.
"I" am not sure if you guys realize the time and money involved in bullet/gel testing, but if "I" am requesting this type of favor, "I" would at least send him bullets to help offset the cost, sorry but that's just me. @Guy M, "I" appreciate your time and effort and sharing them with the LRH community; please PM me if you need to try other mono bullets for comparison. Cheers!

Good call, Feenix. I was thinking he might be looking for an excuse to do more shooting! But I don't want to drive him to the poorhouse.

Still is. If this wasn't the case, the aftermarket barrel and custom rifle business wouldn't be booming like it is. Barrels are just part of the issue with squareness of actions, triggers, and bedding (or lack of) being mostly to blame. What production company doesn't buy as cheap as possible and build the same? Some produce a higher level product, but within that genre, they still cut corners.
Nope, just got info back in the day about buying cheaper barrels from a good source. I didn't ask the brand because I didn't want to buy any for sure. But it was common back then for companies to buy lower cost barrels for production rifles.

Has anyone who's shot the CX noticed heavier fouling? Seems like they have a good bit of bearing surface. This was one of my concerns when I first saw photos of them.

Has anyone who's shot the CX noticed heavier fouling? Seems like they have a good bit of bearing surface. This was one of my concerns when I first saw photos of them.
1651462671194.png

It is designed to reduce earing surface and fouling.

I'm really surprised by the min impact velocity. I could be wrong but by the color of the bullet it looks like a softer copper alloy. Add the tip and it seems like the expansion should be attainable at a lower speed. But I'd follow their advisement until more testing is done. A 1800 fps and 1600 fps gel test would be nice to see.

I'm really surprised by the min impact velocity. I could be wrong but by the color of the bullet it looks like a softer copper alloy. Add the tip and it seems like the expansion should be attainable at a lower speed. But I'd follow their advisement until more testing is done. A 1800 fps and 1600 fps gel test would be nice to see.

Visual Data is always good to see which lets us make our own opinions based upon what we saw not necessarily what we heard. What would be nice to see in any bullet test is BC drop verification but that would be a lot to ask I think.

The only issue is that the gel tests I did the gel needed to be calibrated for 70 degrees and the a penetration test with a BB gun at a certain velocity. It's been now twenty some years now so I don't remember the specific parameters. And I didn't see what gel he was using and the temp when he set up. It's a neat test but I'm still not sure of the accuracy of the tests. That said I find it impressive that the 28XX fps shot a permanent would cavity for some 19 inches. And the second video the bullet still opened at around 1800 fps. The snow on the ground makes me wonder about how it affected the gel blocks, I suspect it made them tougher/ denser. But it's still some good info! Thanks for the videos.

Another thing that makes me curious about these bullets is the finish on them. It's pretty polished so it doesn't seem like they came off a cnc or swiss machine. If it was some kind of extrusion then how would that affect hardness? I'm just thinking out loud. Hornady may have just put the higher velocity operating parameters to insure reliable expansion. Interesting info on a new bullet.

Visual Data is always good to see which lets us make our own opinions based upon what we saw not necessarily what we heard. What would be nice to see in any bullet test is BC drop verification but that would be a lot to ask I think.
I think once people get interested a BC test would be pretty easy to find out. After someone makes up a load the natural thing to do is test their dope at distance. We'll probably see results/ reviews once the bullet becomes more available on the market. We're all always looking out for a better mousetrap ;)

The only issue is that the gel tests I did the gel needed to be calibrated for 70 degrees and the a penetration test with a BB gun at a certain velocity. It's been now twenty some years now so I don't remember the specific parameters. And I didn't see what gel he was using and the temp when he set up. It's a neat test but I'm still not sure of the accuracy of the tests. That said I find it impressive that the 28XX fps shot a permanent would cavity for some 19 inches. And the second video the bullet still opened at around 1800 fps. The snow on the ground makes me wonder about how it affected the gel blocks, I suspect it made them tougher/ denser. But it's still some good info! Thanks for the videos.
"I" personally will keep the minimum velocity of 2000-2200 FPS at POI, but that's just me. A friend does extensive tests on mono bullets and suggests them at 2200 FPS.

"I" personally will keep the minimum velocity of 2000-2200 FPS at POI, but that's just me. A friend does extensive tests on mono bullets and suggests them at 2200 FPS.
On mono's it's probably a good idea. My brother has used them but I haven't.

Recent Posts