TC Encore 300 RUM

Not exactly on topic but I have an MGM 27 in. 1 in bull Encore barrel with integral brake in 6.5 PRC that shoots as good as my CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. I got it spiral fluted. Shaved 6 oz. off the beast.

I am actually looking at a .270 Win 1:8 28" for my Encore from MGM. Could be interesting for extended throat for heavier longer higher BC bullets.

Muddyboots, I wasn't aware of any high bc .270 bullets and increased velocities which are a necessity for long (1000yrd and extreme 1500yrd ranges). However there may be some that I'm not aware of.

Berger 170 EOL G7 o.339
Hammer 168 G7 0.309
Nosler 165 ABLR G1 0.620
Cutting Edge 150 G7 0.297
Matrix 175 VLD G1 est 0.700 tbd

just to name a few. RL26 has become the pixie dust for the .270Win. I hope to have some numbers in week or so for the 170 Berger and 165 Matrix with RL26.

Berger 170 EOL G7 o.339
Hammer 168 G7 0.309
Nosler 165 ABLR G1 0.620
Cutting Edge 150 G7 0.297
Matrix 175 VLD G1 est 0.700 tbd

just to name a few. RL26 has become the pixie dust for the .270Win. I hope to have some numbers in week or so for the 170 Berger and 165 Matrix with RL26.

You'll need at least a 1-7" twist for the 168 Hammer, a 1-6.5" would be better. I can't stabilize them at 3300fps from a 7" twist barrel at sea level if the temps are below 50 degrees.

I am actually looking at a .270 Win 1:8 28" for my Encore from MGM. Could be interesting for extended throat for heavier longer higher BC bullets.
Just some info for ya on the Encore barrel length. I had a 28" in 280 AI that shot 3" groups so I cut 4" off the barrel and it shoots right at 1". Mike Bellm did some tests cutting down factory barrels and they all shot better shorter. Not saying you shouldn't get the 28, you can always have it cut down a bit if you aren't happy with it. Good luck.

Just some info for ya on the Encore barrel length. I had a 28" in 280 AI that shot 3" groups so I cut 4" off the barrel and it shoots right at 1". Mike Bellm did some tests cutting down factory barrels and they all shot better shorter. Not saying you shouldn't get the 28, you can always have it cut down a bit if you aren't happy with it. Good luck.
Thank you very much for that article. Probably explains the average accuracy in both my 6.5 Creed and .243 28 in. barrels. Even the 26 in. 308 isn't good. I'll have to find out his costs. I always wondered why they taperd the 28 and 26 in. Hunter barrels. I figured weight savings. My MGM 27 in. is 1 in. Full bull all the way to end. 2 inches is integral brake. So 25 in. barrel. Maybe 2 reasons it's a shooter ?

Thank you very much for that article. Probably explains the average accuracy in both my 6.5 Creed and .243 28 in. barrels. Even the 26 in. 308 isn't good. I'll have to find out his costs. I always wondered why they taperd the 28 and 26 in. Hunter barrels. I figured weight savings. My MGM 27 in. is 1 in. Full bull all the way to end. 2 inches is integral brake. So 25 in. barrel. Maybe 2 reasons it's a shooter ?
No problem. I do have a 28" in 416 Rigby that shoots good, but from the bench I have only shot it with a lead sled and 60 pounds of lead. It has the factory muzzle brake it's just real hard to tell if the brake works! LOL

Interesting. I had a Encore PH 28" 280Rem that shot 0.5 MOA with 140BT's. Sold it and 🤬🤬 wish I didn't. Lot of Encore accuracy problems are associated with 6#+ trigger plus slow hammer drop. Changed springs out to 2.5 trigger and 58# hammer spring which improved locktime. Thumb gets serious work out pulling back hammer!!! I would bet the hammer spring may have as much impact on the accuracy just speeding up locktime. When I did that the accuracy with PH 28" barrels improved across the board.

Every barrel will fail that whip test even on a bolt gun unless probably full bull. He is 100% correct on harmonics but that is what we do as loaders to find the load that matches barrel harmonics instead of cutting the barrel to match factory ammo harmonics.

Encores are unique and there are other factors on accuracy different from bolt guns. Forearm isolation from barrel and consistent placement of forearm on rest is absolutely critical for consistent accuracy.

We should know that barrel length gains maybe 25-30 fps per inch depending upon cartridge, powder burn rate and of course bullet. But if I want to add 100 fps this is one way to do so. Virtually meaningless velocity gain to most but to me is ALL I really care about. Why are there 30" barrel bolt guns? Because that person wanted one.!😂

Barrel length with straight wall is entirely different animal and comparing apples to bowling balls.

And yes I know Mike and have had a lot of discussions with him on variety of Encore topics.

Encore are a ton of fun, but barrels have a tendency to "reproduce" in the safe. LOL It always starts with just one, then before you know it you've go 4 rifle barrels, a shotgun barrel and a muzzle loader!
Lol the same here.! I started with a 10" 44 Mag pistol, then a 15" 30-06 pistol barrel, then a muzzleloader, then a 45-70, and then a rifle receiver, then a 30-06 rifle, then a 300 Win Mag, then a 500 S&W rifle, then a 350 Legend....LOL and then and then and then.
The 300 Win Mag will kill anything you need. A 26-28" barrel is still very manageable and easy to carry. The recoil isn't bad but I have no nerves in my shoulder anymore lol.!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.