TC Encore 300 RUM

I have a dozen Encore barrels. The Short Magnums were tried by many but the exceeded the frames capabilities. The 300 win or 300 H&H are about their limits. I have a 35 Whelen barrel and it is a great combination. Will take any game in North America inside 400 yards.

I've been shooting encores since they came out. They do multiply like rabbits. I like the challenge of single shots and having a 26" barrel with the same overall length as a 20" bolt gun. Very handy in the woods without giving up speed. Also like that COAL is not limited by a magazine. All my barrels are from the old T/C custom shop (Fox Ridge Outfitters) or MGM and will all put three shots inside 3/4" @100 yards. The only work done on my actions were trigger job and installation of a pro hunter hammer.

Would a 300 Norma Magnum be possible in a TC Encore platform? I know that it would be pushing (actually stretching) the limits of this action. However from articles I've read it can almost match the 338 Lapua.

The BF is too large - added width reduces frame strength and adds increased pressure. This is why you don't find tc barrels chambered in the lapua bolt combos.

I was looking to make a longe range target and hunting TC Encore. While the 300 Winchester Magnum could be used. A 7mmX300 Winchester, or even a 264 Winchester Magnum might be other suitable options better or worse. I don't know if any of them would make for a legitimate long range (1000 yard+) target or hunting cartridge or come close to the 338 Lapua ballistically.

Last edited:
I am considering a 300 RUM for my TC Encore I am concerned about recoil with that big magnum and such a light gun, has anyone ever used this combination?
To quote Jackie Gleason "you can think about it but doooont do it"

I was looking to make a longe range target Encore. While the 300 Winchester Magnum could be used a 7mmX300 Winchester, or even a 264 Winchester Magnum. I don't know if any of them would make for a legitimate long range (1000 yard+) target or hunting cartridge or come close to the 338 Lapua ballistically.

If you want to reload, and run the cartridge close to what you can in a bolt rig, stay with the 473 head size, and stay away from bigger ones.
A great cartridge for the Encore where you can stretch things out is the 280AI, and or necking that up or down if you so desired.

I had Match Grade Machine build a 340 Weatherby barrel for me back around 2006 and it's great but they haven't listed it for a long time now. I think they did one 338 Ultra Mag but I'm sure it wasn't to be pushed.

An interesting option in an Encore might be the 6.5 RPM case. It should split the difference between the '06 case and the belted magnums and give a little more of a safety margin than the belted mag cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.