300 RUM

Justin Todd

Hello, I'm new to the forum been shooting .308, and 7mag and reloading for them for a while. In the process of purchasing a .300 RUM, have dies 208 eld match bullets and an 8 lb jug of IMR 8133. Hodgdon helped me out with some sart load data but I'm wondering if anybody has any information they are willing to share as far as accuracy loads with this combo. I usually like to ask around before I start loading up bullets. Rifle is going to be a remington 700 long range.

Hello, I'm new to the forum been shooting .308, and 7mag and reloading for them for a while. In the process of purchasing a .300 RUM, have dies 208 eld match bullets and an 8 lb jug of IMR 8133. Hodgdon helped me out with some sart load data but I'm wondering if anybody has any information they are willing to share as far as accuracy loads with this combo. I usually like to ask around before I start loading up bullets. Rifle is going to be a remington 700 long range.

I have not tried the IMR 8133 powder in mine so I cant help you with it, but the 300 rum is a great cartridge and is not finicky with powders as long as the right bullet is chosen for the barrel.

Guys on this site are very good about sharing information to help but don't start with loads we share as OUR best loads because they may be to hot for your rifle so start lower and work up.

Looks like 92.5 grains of IMR 8133 is max for a 200 grain bullet and 90.0 grains for a 220 grain bullet. Looks like Retumbo will edge 8133 out in velocity but the 8133 may be more accurate.

J E CUSTOM

Welcome Justin Todd!

I have been loading long enough times three that accuracy is where you find it. Rifles are individuals and somebodies pet load, is just that, somebodies pet load. Not your's, not J E Customs nor anyone else's until it is found.

There are powders that should work but may not as well as all the other components including how they are put together but you will have to seek it out your self.

And the truth is a load you find "the hard way" is much more appreciated by it's owner than something copied that may work.

Working these loads up does some other beneficial things: You get your rifle broken in and you get broken in as well.

My oldest nephew and I have worked just a tad with his 300 rum and we were working with the 180 Nosler partition before he got a brake on his. As such we were keeping recoil down and using IMR 7828 to mimic between a 300 Win Mag and a WBY.

With the STW series I have been told that the Federal 215 primer is good. I would think the same would apply with the RUM's and that is what we light ours with.

Merry Christmas

Three44s

Thanks for the replies fellas I've found my .308 likes 4064 and is most accurate with 175 smk and 41.5 gr . Also my 7 mm rem mag likes the 180 eld match and reloader 22. I have found that most rifles/cartridges do prefer a certain powder just hoping I made a good choice with the imr 8133 haven't been able to find any retumbo anywhere and the 8133 looks to be the closest to it. I usually find a start charge weight and work up in .5 great increments until I start to see pressure signs and then pick the most accurate charge weight from the bunch. I have found through reading that I can usually find something close to my most accurate from what I read online like 42gr of 4064 with a 168-175 gr smk in my .308. Once I get everything set up I will report back with some updated reports.

Also anxious to see how the recoil is I have a Marlin 1895 gbl in 45-70 and it is a beast with a 405 gr bullet and 54gr 4064 thinking the recoil may be similar?

I have a Savage 112 with a short barrel (16.25" and no brake) in a .510 cal that shoots 750 grain bullets @ 1750 fps. The recoil is pretty great, more of a big shove (not unlike my buddy's Marlin guide 45-70, just MORE). An unbraked .300 RUM recoil just seems sharper. The good news is that the Remington 700 Long Range should have enough meat at the muzzle to install a brake, as Jason advised. Unfortunately my .300 RUM barrel is too thin.

I have the Remington 700 Long Range Rifle chambered in a 300 RUM also.
I've been loading 150gr FMJ and 165gr SST with H4831sc for 100yds to 300 yds and 180gr SST, 180gr SBT Gameking and 200 ELD's with Retumbo for longer range shooting, so far it's been a good combo.

Most people try different powders, and end up shooting Retumbo in a RUM.

Hello, I'm new to the forum been shooting .308, and 7mag and reloading for them for a while. In the process of purchasing a .300 RUM, have dies 208 eld match bullets and an 8 lb jug of IMR 8133. Hodgdon helped me out with some sart load data but I'm wondering if anybody has any information they are willing to share as far as accuracy loads with this combo. I usually like to ask around before I start loading up bullets. Rifle is going to be a remington 700 long range.[/QUOT

Have a Rem 700 that I had custom Krieger bbl on, action worked on, etc. Factory thumbhole stock bedded. With 91gr of Retumbo, (safe in mine, work up to, etc) and a 210gr Berger vld, I get unbelievable groups at 500yds. Barrel is heavy profile, have a Vais muzzle break. Recoil is nil...this is an awesome rifle/ cartridge

Also anxious to see how the recoil is I have a Marlin 1895 gbl in 45-70 and it is a beast with a 405 gr bullet and 54gr 4064 thinking the recoil may be similar?
No, The RUM kicks hard and fast. Nothing like the hard push of that rifle. Few can take advantage of its long range power without a brake, with heavy bullets. If you can shoot good long range groups without a brake, you are a better man than I. But I am getting old.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.