300 rum

My 300 RUM in factory form gave me scope eye twice in one day while on a whitetail deer hunt. In the excitement of the hunt I didn't realize I'd crept up on the scope.

Now, after customizing the gun, it wears a brake. As much for recoil reduction as for decreasing scope eye possibility.

It is almost pleasant to shoot now. :)

I just reread the comments and saw I neglected to mention the bullet. It is the 230 berger hybrid target. (86 gr H1000 for 2800 fps from 24" barrel)

I have had my .300RUM since 1999 I think. Whenever they first hit the market.

It was a factory rifle for years with the exception of an HS Precision stock...and a KDF brake.

Recoil unbraked was "snappy" as some have mentioned. Uncomfortable was another word that came to mind.

My 12 year old daughter used it to take her 1st bull elk. One shot was all it took, 160 yards, the elk was dead before it's head hit the dirt. It was the only shot she had ever taken with that rifle. Even though she had about 2000 rounds of Centerfire from .223 to .270Win under her belt.

I have since upgraded it with a new barrel, stock, scope, etc. It now weighs 14lb. 4oz. With a Badger Thruster brake. I push a 215 Hybrid at 3100fps. My daughter, now 14 years old, can comfortably shoot it as much as my wallet allows. It has taken game from coyotes (don't recommend this) to big bull elk. A big, accurate rifle in the hands of someone that can shoot is a powerful freezer filler.

I am shooting the 210gr berger VLDH as well. My 300rum is shooting a 1/2" group with this load.
Norma case
C.o.a.l 3.600
92.5gr of retumbo
CCI 250
3144 fps

As big as you can find. The biggest problem is with the overall length of the cartridge. To run the bigger weights means usually having to either use it as a single shot or upgrade to a detachable box mag setup that allows for longer overall cartridge lengths.

I have used the 200gr Accubond loaded to OAL 3.6 for about 5 years with no complaints. I have a friend who shoots the 210 bergers but seats them out long and just feeds one at a time. Some people seem to get them to shoot well and still fit in the factory box. Congrats on the new RUM, it is an impressive round regardless of what size bullet they are throwing.

The only bullet that uses a odd length is the new 212gr Hornady ELD-X at 3.900 C.O.A.L as to where all the others run a C.O.A.L of 3.600. So you can run a standard C.O.A.L in a stock magazine box.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.