300 RUM

A friend of mine swears he is shooting ragged edge out of his 300 RUM with the 175gr Barnes LRX. I have been testing them with mixed results. I am using 94gr of Retumbo pushing 3200fps but I am still not that tight. Any thoughts???
Too light for retumbo, try RL26 or RL33. H1000 is a good choice as well but gives up about 100-150fps in velocity to the others.

Retumbo is great for heavier bullets but it's the dirtiest burning powder I've ever tried so I've moved away from it.

Yes, one thing the RUM has is plenty of power. It can rival little guns in accuracy, needed most in long range. My best loads are not quite max with most bullets, but still plenty fast.
Same here and I find it to be true with most cartridges. I wasted a lot of powder and a lot of bullets trying to hotrod everything for about 20 years.

I'm a fan of rl26 with heavier bullets so it was my go to with 215 Berger, proven with 243,6.5-284 and Remington 300 rum. Now have a proof barrel with bighorn action 300 rum built and 2 days before going on elk hunt I was not confident with 1000 yard accuracy with rl26, switched to H1000 and very content with it. So moral of story is find what works and confident with range of shot.

I'm a fan of rl26 with heavier bullets so it was my go to with 215 Berger, proven with 243,6.5-284 and Remington 300 rum. Now have a proof barrel with bighorn action 300 rum built and 2 days before going on elk hunt I was not confident with 1000 yard accuracy with rl26, switched to H1000 and very content with it. So moral of story is find what works and confident with range of shot.
Give it a ride with RL33 and I suspect you'll be very happy.

Really?! I find it to be very clean burning, in 3 different calibers and rifles.

I haven't. I"ve found just the opposite by inspecting muzzles, muzzle brakes, and spent brass.

I tried it with the STW, .300wm, and .300 Rums in 9 different rifles plus shooting up the leftover ammo I got with the 6.5LRM. I like H-100, RL26 and RL33 much better.

I have tried several powders including H1000, 4831, and others. But I never found accuracy until I put on a bell & Carlson stock, Timney trigger, had a muzzle break installed and fine tuned my reloading process went to retumbo powder, Berger 210 VLD hunting, federal match primer

I have tried several powders including H1000, 4831, and others. But I never found accuracy until I put on a bell & Carlson stock, Timney trigger, had a muzzle break installed and fine tuned my reloading process went to retumbo powder, Berger 210 VLD hunting, federal match primer
I'd love to know where you guys are getting the Federal GMM 215's. I've been looking for them off and on for over five years and never can find anyone who has them in stock.

I have had them for several years but I bought them at Kent's Shooters Supply in Ogden Utah
Unfortunately that's the same story I keep hearing from just about everyone, "I've had them for years bought them at XXX shooting supply or sporting goods".

Everytime some one says, "Hey I bought some over here last week" I run over and find them out of stock.

Yup, been at least 5 years since seen any 215M in Alaska. Did run into some std 215's last year, buying several bricks to hopefully last a few years as use about a brick per year. Many here have since moved on to CCI 250 or WLRM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.