TC Encore and long range?

catwithboost

I have a Encore with a 204 encore barrel and a 300win prohunter barrel I have not got out to shoot it yet.As fas as long range and the TC barrels how are they at long range shoots. Mind you I can reload.gun)PS I will be using a Nikon Buckmaster 4-14x40mm BDC scope on the 300wm and a Bushnell banner 6-18x50mm on the 204. With a Nikon range finder.

Last edited:
The 300WM is capable of taking deer sized game out to 600 yards and beyond depending upon bullet choice. I would say that you could take game with it to as far as you can consistently shoot a 6" group. I would guess the 204 Ruger barrel would take coyote size animals out to 300 yards and rock chucks and smaller out a bit longer.

I need to clarify my question.I am asking more towards the TC encore for being accurate with those two rounds not so much the rounds themself.

Not sure about the factory barrels from TC.... but I shot my whitetail buck this year at 467yards with a 6.5x55 barrel from Match Grade Machine.

Dime size groups @ 100yards

Just about all the factroy Encoe barrels I've delt with can easly be made to shoot close to the 1 moa range and some down close to the 1/2 moa range.

The encore can be made to shoot as well as any bolt guns for the first round shot but the gun has to be broken out of battery to reload and that kinda messes with the good grouping Ju-Ju.

Get a trigger job , replace the hinge pin with a tighter fitting unit and bed the forend.

I just fitted up a 300 win heavy barrel buled Encore for the guy that owns the bow shop up the road , did all te stuff mentioned above plus recrowned the barrel and installed a Sims recoil pad , his gun will shoot very close to 1/2moa at 200yds with factroy loaded Nosler ammo with the 200gr Accu-Bond.

Smith and Wesson have brought the quality of the T/C products up. I haven't purchased a none custum barrel for years now. A good trigger job with a none-binding piller bedded forend and both calibers should be capable of very fine accuracy for any hunting need.
Kim Monthony is shooting a break open in benchrest competition and is doing very well. Check out Chasemountaincustom.

Neal

My experience has been that the T/C barrels are not MOA barrels or even close however; if you order a Bergera barrel for your gun it will be a MOA gun. Bergera consulted Shilen to learn his famous barrel process and it paid huge dividends for them because the barrels are superb. I personally had a factory Pro Hunter 300 WM barrel that was horrible and replaced it with a Bergera 300WM barrel and got 1 MOA accuracy out of it. Read Mike Bellm's website he has a wealth of knowledge on there and that is what gave me the cofidence to keep my Pro Hunter versus selling it. I am in the process of selling my T/C .50 ML barrel to buy a Bergera as well.

Another Tip - Do a trigger job..........it changes that gun so much that I would not own one without having the trigger worked.

I have found that If you "float" the forends by placing a small rubber oring on the screw between the forend and the barrel it helps keep the barrels from moving POI between swapping out barrels. I have an extremely accurate 22-250 barrel that will do .75" with remington bulk 45gr HP ammo. All of my barrels with do 1.25" groups or better. I have sent a few down the road that wouldn't shoot but most can be fixed up nicely

My friends TC Prohunter in 300 win mag would not shoot less than 1" with his best shooting hand loads. He traded it at a terrible price lost back to the gunshop for a 7mm mag and it does better but not great. Around 7/8 - 1" with his best loads. He's pretty disappointed. 90% of the shots here are less than 200 yards so he still hunts with it but we love shooting long range and he's not pleased in that aspect at all. The TC's are what I call "TV" guns. Look great on there but not so great on paper. Especially for the $$ they cost.

He got quite angry one day when we were shooting milk jugs at 482 yards, him with his Prohunter and my $99 Mosin Nagant with hand loads was making his TC look pathetic. Took him from 4-6 shots to hit one and mine was money on every shot.

I have hunted with T/Cs since they came out. I too was very dis-satisfied with not achieving my desired accuracy.

Anything used to cushion or float the barrel away from the forend was at best a temporary fix. I live in Alaska so when freeze up hits the POI changes. When it thaws and starts raining it changes again.

I have only this one photo left but one can get the idea by looking at the machined perch in the barrel channels. This black material is extremely hard so no aluminum piller is required.
Tony Gettel at tony'sforendsandstocks.com machines these perches in his T/C wood stocks and then puts an aluminum piller in as a regular process.

I made the stocks pictured and to date I do not own a hunting handgun that shoots over 1 inch at 300 yards. Year to year I take my short barrel 338 out every 3 months and fire one shot at a target. This summer just before the August first deer season I shot that one shot and had to adjust windage two clicks. First time in a number of years.

I own a T/C Encore in 300WM I have followed the recommendations at Bellum TC. I think they are great. I would send in my barrel to get the throat checked a muzzle break put on and get the barrel shortened as he suggests, but I live in Canada and for some terrible reason customs freaks out with anything firearm related. So they don't ship to Can. I did pillar bed the forend and did the 1x pin and new springs, headspace check... trigger is 2.5lbs I have outstanding first shot accuracy, but grouping 1"-1 1/4" at a hundred yards??? But under 3" at 300yds.(go figure?) I have my rifle sighted in at 2" high at 100yds and it then shoots 3" low at three hundred with the same hold. I am shooting 180grs. at 3100 fps. So if I put My crosshair on the boileroom any where out to 300yds it is dead deer, Moose, whatever. I gave up on punching paper with my .300 WM and just enjoy it as a great light hunting rifle that I can count on, One shot one kill. I take a few shots out to three hundred yds just before hunting season, then put a piece of black tape over the barrel so nothing can get down the barrel and hunt with confidence. I shot a nice 9 point that weighed over 200 lbs. dressed, at 110yds. One shot one kill every time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.