APS Raptor Stalker
APS Raptor Action
Lija 1:10 3 groove 26" custom stalker contour fluted
McMillan HTG stock with adj cheek piece partially sniper filled
HS precision magazine
Jewel trigger 1.5lbs
Small PK brake
5.5-22x50 NSX and 4 now night force low scope rings

Weight is 14.25 with Harris bipod and sling. Recoil is inline with my youth model 243 shooting 80gr Barnes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 48
That's a pretty sweet piece TX. That performance is awesome too. Sounds like a non improved version of what you have would work pretty well for what I want to do.

Thanks again for posting the info.

If I go the 300 lapua route I will def get a custom action.

With a 338 lapua based action will I be able to use standard R700 LA stocks or are there special stocks for that footprint?

what are the pros and cons of the 30 nosler and 300 norma?? I have been watching this thread as I have a 300 rum that am wanting to barrel upgrade and am considering new caliber options.

They are both good choices. And from what I can gather from others will run just a bit slower than the RUM.

The pro's and con's would be the same for each to me.

Pro's would be good brass quality and close to RUM performance.

Con's would be pricy-er brass and only one manufacturer.

They are both good choices. And from what I can gather from others will run just a bit slower than the RUM.

The pro's and con's would be the same for each to me.

Pro's would be good brass quality and close to RUM performance.

Con's would be pricy-er brass and only one manufacturer.

lightbulblightbulb

The 30 Nosler is a long skinny case reminds me of a shortened 300 Ultra Mag Case. The 300 Norma is a shortned 338 Lapua. The 300 Norma is a proven cartridge the 30 Nosler is bran new not a lot of data out there.

As far as the 300 RUM brass availabillaty problem....you could always get some 338 EDGE brass from Shawn Carlock and simply neck it down to 30 cal.

Of course, that does not fix the short magazine and OAL limitations in the rem 700.

300 Norma is what I'd go with in a M700 action. With a 26" barrel you should be about 3050-3100 with the 215 Berger and about 3,000 with the 230gr.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

But it can be done.

I don't care what the smallest group is from any cartridge reloading methods. Tiniest groups happen when one of two things happen; everything's perfect and has no variables. . .or...all those variables cancel each other out. Which one happens for record group or most often? Biggest groups with a given process give a much better idea of what can be counted on all the time; all the variables add up in all directions. But that's not a popular way to think.

There's only one record group of anything; all those thousands of others are much, much bigger. The largest group in a many-group aggregate is the best descriptor of the load's accuracy.

Two things Bart is VERY correct on, you can and often will have trouble with accuracy trying to save a bit of brass life with a belted case by neck sizing... I've gone to fl sizing all my belted stuff; no neck or partial fl sizing for me anymore. I've seen two to one accuracy spreads at times between the two.

Also, shoot larger shot count groups to prove a load actually shoots and you aren't just getting a screamer group once in a while. I'm starting to go to ten shot groups at 200+ yards (and a few of them) before I count a load as good.

Picking the guy apart is serving no one any purpose here.

As to the o.p.'s question on 30 cal... get into a 300win or 300rum, get a decent amount of brass, and forget the rest. If you need more than a 300rum, a serious step up on caliber is warranted.

The new Nosler manual has plenty of data for the 30 Nosler and it's a step up from the 300 Win mag,
Kind of a 300 Wby, 300 Ackley, 300 Jarret without the belt and maybe a bit faster, some loads come close to what published data shows for the 300 Rum, not too shabby and brass would be easy to make from 338 Rum & 300 Rum if it came down to that , but still .........
the 300 Norma , 30-338 Lapua have so much more sex appeal ! the 30-338 Norma Imp. versions are probably the best 30 cal you can do at this point in time .... with a case length of 2.480" to 2.502" max, case length is shorter than all of the above that allows to seat the heavy long 215 gr -230 gr+ 30 cal bullets out of the powder room and still fit in detachable mags ..... My version has a case h20 capacity of 111.0 gr (verified with once fired cases) to top of case mouth and loaded with 100.0 gr of Reloder 50 spits out the 236 gr Chinchaga bullets at a comfortable 3146 fps with 1/4"-3/8" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with initial load developement .025" off rifling, without messing with seating depth yet, haven't had tome to take it out further but working up loads with 215 gr, 230 gr Berger Hybrids and 212 gr and 220 gr Hornady Eld-X bullets with RL 33, RL 50 and 50 BMG , once the nodes are found will run out to 500 yards, max range I have access to now ..... recoil is almost non-existent with the Muscle Brake from Ryan Pierce , kind of like a mild load in 308 Win with a gentle bump ,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 52
300 Norma is what I'd go with in a M700 action. With a 26" barrel you should be about 3050-3100 with the 215 Berger and about 3,000 with the 230gr.

A couple of well respected action builders have told me they don't think it is a good idea to use those large diameter cases with an action that has a .700" diameter bolt and a 1.062" tenon thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.