cartridges for wifes savage build. opinions?

well i really don't mind changing the bolt i just didn't want to have to work on making it feed right other then that i don't mind getting away from standard cartridges.

ive really been leaning toward 280 ai (mostly because i want one) and 6.5x 284 ive been thinking alot about a 270 wsm but ive never shot one and dont know how bad the recoil is .
Mitchell,
The rifle I am having built in 6.5-06 was a 280AI, but was a rifle I traded for that was rechambered from a 7mm Mauser. It was a rem 700 mountain rifle with a thin barrel and just wouldn't shoot, the best I could get out of it was 1/3/4 MOA with anything I put through it, but I chaulk that up to the stock, thin barrel. The light weight made it a rip rouring, rip snorting, fire blowing piece. So the reason for rebarreling and the recoil was a bit much for the light weight. Another reason was it never fed well either from the magazine, it had a tendency to catch when feeding into the chamber. It is a fine round and put out almost 7mm RM performance.lightbulb
FE

Mitchel,
I guess I should through in my hat for the 6.5x55 also, I have one of those too and it does well and has light recoil, but you néed to hand load to get the best performance out of it.
FE

I know you have the long action, but what about the .308 Win? Ballistics are almost identical to 30-06 but with less powder & recoil. You can build a 7-8 lb rifle that won't beat her up and with a 24" bbl have plenty of range..270 or .264 WM would be my next choices..284 ballistics don't do any more than .308 so it's a great round, just harder to find.

Good luck

My choice, without changing the boltface would be 6.5-06 (or, improved if you don't mind fireforming).

order yourself a Brux 26+" 1:8 twist in 6.5x284, order a couple hundred 139 lapua scenars or 140 bergers, and 100 pieces of Lapua brass, and you'll never look back. 3050fps is easily attainable with a 140 in a 26" tube, with the right placement you wont be tracking game, plus there is no fireforming and is fairly easy to load for.

a 243 has enough power to take down an elk at 600 yards. Its a light recoiling cartridge as well as accurate. If she can consistantly place a bullet into the boiler room there is no way that elk is going to get away

i think she can handle a lot more than a 243 she hunts with a 30-06 and has shot my 300 win mag, but the recoil does other her . i wanted something a little lighter on the shoulder because i want her to be able to practice a lot and im afraid that it will shy her away from shooting more .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.