What Rifle for future build

junior71

I plan to buy my two boys each a rifle for xmas. I want to get them started in the right direction. They are not afraid of recoil, as they both have expeirence.

Question is what to buy?
Some are saying buy a gun for the action. Why not just buy a action and start the build? Or are the actions that exspensive/hard to find? Whats the best for the money?

If your buying just to build on then I would buy a custom unless of course you were going the savage route. Factory actions can be made to shoot as good as customs however you will wrap just as much money into them and still just have a factory action.

However if this will be a work in progress as money permits buy the rifles and do 1 thing at a time.

The wife and I are for sure on a budget, and only have a couple G's to spare, and want to spend it right the first time. Maybe the grandparents can swing the scopes, lol.

The savage route? I have read a little on here about them, and have just never been a fan. I didn't like the feel of the stock, and wasn't impressed with the trigger. But if its the cheapest way to go and have a quality gun, then I will look in to it. I will say in defense, the savage I looked at was years ago.

I have just always been a remington guy. I have a custom 7 stw. Its on a 700 action with shilen barrel, and jewel trigger. But I know what I had into it to!

How much is a couple G's? :)

Throw out a number for both gun combined it will help with determining what you will end up with.

ANd what will this be used for? Ranges? Bench or carry? Animals? You reload?

$2000 that doesn't get you very far anymore! We shoot at the range alot, but mostly hunting. I am planing a hunt in Wyoming for antelope/deer for 2012, and would like for them to have there own gun. Yes I reload.

Definitely look at the various Remington 700s. Their SPS entry level rifles are fairly inexpensive and available in a wide variety of calibers. They are a great platform to start with as everyone makes aftermarket parts for Rem700s and all gunsmiths will work on them.

If you want to go a little higher end to start, the earlier suggestion of the Sendero is a good one.

As an example, here's my nephew's Rem700 SPS....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

If you like a more dedicated longrange rifle, here's an example of an SPS Varmint....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

Read all the way to the end of the thread and you will see this 308 turn into a full-blown custom 260.

I would look at savage actions - alot of calibers available, my favorite beside the 338 Lapua is the 7mm-08. Easy shooting and very accurate with 140 NBT's.

Thanks for the info guys! I kinda had my mind made up to go with a rem before posting.
rscott- Awesome job with that boy of yours!
Trebark- Nice write up! You guys are inn it to win it!

Now I just have to figure on the caliber. I was thinking the 300 wsm would be a good choice. The 30 cal. all seem to shoot right out of the box, and I could tame the load until they get older. Would be nice to start with long action for the future, but It is what it is.

Oh yea, thanks to JUDD. Our phone conversation was very helpful, and I will be in touch with you!

Now I just have to figure on the caliber. I was thinking the 300 wsm would be a good choice. The 30 cal. all seem to shoot right out of the box, and I could tame the load until they get older. Would be nice to start with long action for the future, but It is what it is.

300wsm would be a great choice. Remington has a model 700 stainless in 300wsm....

Centerfire Rifle - Model 700 SPS Stainless - Remington Centerfire Rifles

Remington has quite a few other choices, but many of them are not chambered in 300wsm. Good alternative would be 300winmag or if you prefer to step down the power scale a bit, virtually every Remington can be had in 30-06

Here are some thoughts. You can pick up a Savage hunting action from factory for $375-$400 (w/accutrigger). Sin arms prefit barrels $275 (Savage Barrels) $180-$235 Stockade money saver stocks (unfinished, but doesn't require a lot of finish work), EGW base $40 (Savage Round Back Picatinny Rail Scope Mount: Evolution Gun Works Inc.), Weaver Tactical rings $30 a pair(Weaver Six Hole Tactical 30mm Rings), $25 SSS recoil lug (Savage Competition Recoil Lug), $400 Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 (Vortex 6.5-20x44 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope I personally own this scope and love it!).

Total- $1325 w/ low price options
Total- $1405 w/ the upper pricing on action and stockade stock

You can figure another $100-200 for a muzzle break should you decide to put one on. These would be complete guns. I don't think you will be disappointed. The reason I suggested Sin-arms barrels is due to using Lothar Walther barrels.

Here is what my hand built Savage can do in .308 Win with 168 bullets:
100yd group from a bench and rest .116" 3 shot group
img005.jpg

718 yards prone off bi-pod and rear bag 3 shot group
1101111310-00.jpg

My baby! It has the B&C Medalist A2 stock, but the next one will be a Stockade Stock
Johnspics3-10-11025.jpg

Tank

Last edited:
My vote would be for something in a "standard" chambering in a long action Rem 700 like 25-06, 270win or even 30-06. They are all known to be excellent shooters straight out of the box and they can be had in a very wide variety of Remmy 700 models without breaking the bank and a pair could be easily found, probably even scoped out, for the amount of money you are looking at spending.

These three are your meat and potatoes, tried and trued, calibers that have stood the test of time. They probably don't possess the "cool" factor alot of the new chamberings do because they are pretty much your "standard" rounds but in this situation that is a good thing because it will help lower the price in the used market.

IMO, if you start with a Rem LA it pretty much opens all the doors to build whatever you want down the road where as if you start with a SA you will be considerably more limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.