Future build

duckslayer

Hello all, I want to start by saying this is my first post and I apologize if my questions have been answered. I have done a lot of research lately and can't really seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I am looking at building a rifle that has a manageable recoil, hits hard, bucks the wind, and is accurate. My research thus far has yielded that a 6.5 caliber of some sort would fit the bill the best, but I'm open to suggestions. It seems a 140 grain 6.5 caliber bullet has great sectional density and can be loaded into something that has a pretty manageable recoil. With this in mind I'm leaning toward the 264 Winchester. I don't reload so I would most likely be shooting HSM ammo. I should also say that this gun will be used mainly for mule deer and the occasional elk as well as long range paper punching. I don't plan on taking a shot at an animal over 500 yards but I want a rifle that is capable of shooting well past that for fun. Oh and I'll be building this gun with a remington 700 long action. Haven't decided on a barrel maker yet either so suggestions there would be appreciated as well.

My suggestion will complicate your decision.

If you would use a short action, a 6.5 Creedmoor would fit your desires perfectly.

If I were buying a barrel, I would buy a Krieger or a Bartlein.

Well I do have a model 70 currently chambered in 243 win. Will that work or is it too small of an action?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts