Taking opinions on a 30 cal cartridge for a future build

The 30 Nosler is a long skinny case reminds me of a shortened 300 Ultra Mag Case. The 300 Norma is a shortned 338 Lapua. The 300 Norma is a proven cartridge the 30 Nosler is bran new not a lot of data out there.

That's exactly what the Nosler cartridges are.

That is an impressive cartridge for sure Swamp but the only thing that would turn me off about it would be the brass and the wildcat nature of it. I'm looking for something a touch more run of the mill with better brass availability.

I think I've more or less narrowed it down to the following options.

If I come across a deal on a magnum bolt face R700 LA for a deal I might consider using it for the build and getting it trued up. If I do that I will likely go with the 30 Hart/300 Ackley based off of the 300 Weatherby. This will likely depend on how brass availability is between now and when I build the rifle. Right now it's pretty good. It offers pretty **** good performance and as Mud eluded to...I already have the dies and experience with the cartridge. The only downside to me is the fireforming...I just hate it.

The more likely path will be that I purchase a Stiller or Defiance 338L based action with an integral 20moa rail and integral recoil lug and do a 30-338 lapua. The performance of that cartridge seems to be inline with what I'm going for and there are multiple brass manufacturers. Also, with the popularity of that cartridge I doubt that will change. Lapua brass is no doubt expensive but with how I plan to use the rifle 100 pieces will likely outlast the barrel as I don't intend to hotrod the **** out of it. 3100 or so out of a 26" barrel with a 210 VLD or the like will satisfy me. Hopefully I can get the accuracy out of it that I want with H1000 or Retumbo as I already have a good stash of both on my bench.

We'll see how it goes.

The primary purpose of this rifle will be long range hunting. It will not be a volume shooter of any sort. I plan to develop a load for it and take it on a few elk hunts and maybe a deer hunt or two out west. Also would be practice time with the rifle in preparation.

I'm not limiting myself to these two but they're the ones that I've kinda honed in on. The 300 RUM and the 30-338 Lapua. If brass availability weren't an issue I wouldn't even consider the 30-338. If Remington kept up with the brass production for the RUM it would be a simple choice. But with the Lapua's popularity it seems that can be had fairly easily although the price is up there. But if it last's 7-10 firings with a reasonable load, I could live with that.

Currently the only "big" 30 that I have experience with is the 30 Hart which is basically a 300 Weatherby Ackley Improved. It's a good cartridge but brass can be scarce at times and I really don't like the fireforming side of that deal. But other than that I can't say too much bad about it. I don't own one. I've just done load development with it.

I'd like to know what the basic pro's/con's are to each, ballistics, brass life, barrel life, rules of thumb, etc and any other knowledge folks have and are willing to share.

Thanks in advance for your time.

I had a .300 Lapua , Lilja 1-10 twist barrel. It was a Remington action, Greg Tannel built it and opened up the boltface. He built this one which is a heavy singleshot and he built a repeater at the same time for my buddy. Both these rifles were built for him, he sold me the ss with 177 rounds down it. Both were very accurate and at just over a mile mine shot 3 shots under 8" with a 216 Clinch River bullet. If you think the Remington action is weak for this build then step up to something you feel will be superior in strength. The .300 Lapua is a good choice for a BIG .300.

the only thing that would turn me off about it would be the brass and the wildcat nature of it. I'm looking for something a touch more run of the mill with better brass availability.

We'll see how it goes.

The Lapua made 423 Dakota brass I use is definately not going to be available anywhere, I was fortunate to stock up when It was available for .45 cents each, but the 300 Long Range Hunter is not entirely devoted to the 423 Dakota brass, I used 338 Norma Magnum brass to develop all my loads so far and fireforming is no more difficult than doing the 300 Ackley, just neck down the 338 neck far down enough to make a temp headspace shoulder, I use WLR primers, 20 gr Blue Dot or 15 gr Green Dot topped with cream of wheat and fire in chamber and thats it ! no neck turning or reaming necessary ..... I also use 300 Norma brass but it comes out with a slightly shorter neck ...
The 423 Dakota brass obviously offers all the good stuff, max neck length and high quality Lapua brass but requires neck turning that some guys try to avoid, I prefer it because it allows me to turn necks for optimum precise chamber clearance for best accuracy ....

I've also used cut down 338 Lapua Mag brass from Hornady, Nosler and Lapua to make brass for it, a bit more involved but is another option if other brass becomes scarce ,

There is nothing wrong with doing the 300 Ackley Mag , plenty of power for all game in North America I've always liked the 8mm Rem Mag and have seen it's work in Alaska for 20+ years, the 300 Ackley will be flatter shooting with the 215 and 230 gr Berger Hybrids and smack 'em just as hard

Thanks for commenting Dgd. I currently have 2 of Greg's rifles and when I build this .30 cal it will be my 3rd. He is a great gunsmith and a really nice guy to deal with. I'll probably have him build all of my guns until I quit or he retires.

I guess if he built the guns on R700's it must be safe. I can't imagine Greg doing anything unsafe. For my other 2 700's I already had the actions for him to true up. I don't have any more doner's at the moment so when the time comes I'll probably just go with a custom action that has an integral rail and lug. Probably Defiance or Stiller... maybe BAT.

If you don't mind sharing please post any load data that you have for the 30-338. I seem to be leaning that way more all the time.

Swamp... that's def a cool sounding cartridge design. If I had more time it would be fun to play with but anymore I just don't have the patience.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts