switching bullets

red dawg

My question to some of you longer time reloaders than me is this, I have a great load of 64 grains of imr 4350 an a 120 grain nosler red tip, and I want to use these 120 grain ttsx, with same charge and primer, and I know I will have to change seating depth, but do any of you think I should drop the charge by a grain or to and work up? or go with the 64 grain charge I have?

For me personally, as long as I'm not pushing them into the lands, then equal bullet weight-to-powder charge ratio stays the same... I haven't had any problems.

But remember, each bullet might respond differently to a set charge...So, you still might have to do some load development.

I also thought about this... Going from a cup & core to a solid copper mono, the bullet might still react different as well, despite them being the same weight. So that might also be something to keep in mind.

But as for me, I have interchanged powder charges with similar weighted bullets that I didn't have the reloading manual for, and some (being different bullets) still required a small amount of tweaking, but I have never encountered a pressure issue when interchanging bullets, as long as the new bullets were the same weight, and were not touching the lands.

Hey mud, I loaded 3 ttx 120's in my 7 mag with a factory muzzle break at .050 off the lands and shot them, the were 1.25 inch group but I think will come around, but I noticed my brass custom nosler were all 2.485 out of the box instead of 2.490 I have never seen this out of nosler brass before

I would be hesitant to go cup/core to solid. Also depends how hot the cup load is. Only 2 ways to find out.

The solid copper bullet is longer but since it's grooved will have less of a bearing surface so it should produce less pressure with the same load. Watch your OAL and be sure you aren't compressing the load by accident.

It never hurts to back off a grain or two and work up watching for pressure signs while looking for your accuracy node.

Your should re-work your load. The Barnes bullet will have higher pressure than conventional bullets almost always, despite the grooves. When Barnes grooved their bullets it helped with the higher pressure but did not make it less than conventional bullets.

Steve

I would check the Jacket/Core load against Barnes' data. See where it places between their Min. and Max. for the powder and load you list. If it is at the top or above the Barnes Data I would start over developing the load.

I tried to work up a load for my 300 WSM going from Jacket/Core bullets to one piece bullets.

I even dropped from 180 Gr. to 165/168 gr. Hornady GMX and Nosler E-Tip which was even longer than the Jacket/Core 180 Gr. No Luck,

Groups went from less than 1" for the 180 Gr. to near 3 " for the 165/168 gr. one piece. I have come to the conclusion that my barrel has to soft twist to make these bullets stabilize.

Good Luck and Be Safe in your search for your new load.

Hey Guy's, good morning to you all' since yote season is here and 2 days left to shoot a doe here in missouri I will postpone changing bullets for a while longer' I killed a nice 8 point at 310 yds with the nosler red tips that didn't even kick after the shot' the bullet went to almost exit , I cut it out under the skin on the other side' performance was much better than I had read about them! thanks for all the info, I will keep you posted

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.