Switching Primers Advice

drenner43

I've had some Click:Boom issues and a misfire with my CCI250 Mag primers and am thinking about switching. First off I assume the best switch would be to a Fed 215? Secondly, If I switch to this can I just swap primers and try my current load since it isn't a max load? or do i still need to back it off? If so, how much?

Here is the load info:

30-378 wby mag
97.5gr H1000
Berger 210
CCI250 Mag
2920 Velocity

Obviously i'll probably need to do some load tweaking but for starting purposes can i stay where i am? Thanks

43, the 210 primer isn't a magnum primer. I've never had a single glitch with the 215M primer. Try the famous "Broz" load for your 30/378, most have had excellent accuracy with it using H1000. His load shot excellent in my 30/378 after some seat depth tweaking. Always start a little below the recommended load since no two rifles like the exact load. Many are having problems finding the 215M primers and I've never used any other. Perhaps another member can help. Good luck

Never had the "Click:Boom" but have had the "Click" several times with a lot if CCI250 primers I have. CCI primers have a thicker cup than most primers and it is not unheard of to get a misfire with them. I have never had a click with the F215M. The 215M is a bit stronger than the CCI250 also. Not much, but it is. I get about 20 FPS more with the F215M. Would never hurt to back off a 1/2 Gr. to start just to be certain....

The Click:Boom I have never had with the CCI250 though. Make sure your load is sufficient and you have no hardware issues, firing pin, etc.

You're correct, i've checked everywhere and can't find any 215M's. Any problem going with the standard 215 instead of the 215M?

I've had some Click:Boom issues and a misfire with my CCI250 Mag primers and am thinking about switching. First off I assume the best switch would be to a Fed 215? Secondly, If I switch to this can I just swap primers and try my current load since it isn't a max load? or do i still need to back it off? If so, how much?

Here is the load info:

30-378 wby mag
97.5gr H1000
Berger 210
CCI250 Mag
2920 Velocity

Obviously i'll probably need to do some load tweaking but for starting purposes can i stay where i am? Thanks

The other day I had the very same results with CCI250 magnums in a 6.5mm wildcat igniting 85-92 grains US869 for fifteen shots. Switched to Federal 215 and have no more hangfires and no other problems.

Another experience: I developed a good load with Retumbo and Winchester WLRM primers. In the past when I want to check for better accuracy I change primers only. Also in the past I never had a problem doing this. The other day I tried to switched to Federal 215 Magnum. The first shot almost locked up the action! When I opened the bolt, the primer was gone.

Here is the load info:

30-378 wby mag
97.5gr H1000
Berger 210
CCI250 Mag
2920 Velocity

Check this out >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/just-playing-different-primers-159193/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.