Switch from ATACR?

I always thought USO was a top tier scope (and they may be) but I attended a national 2 day prs competition that had a ton of stuff on the prize table including 3 coupons for 1/2 off USO scopes. Nobody wanted to pick those up and they stayed till the bitter end...FWIW
That does raise questions. So, what scopes were they grabbing up? :) ..or maybe the other stuff wasn't optics.

I own ATACR 5-25 and March 2.5-25, both SFP scopes. I nearly exclusively hunt. First, you cannot go wrong either way. Most obvious difference is weight (14 oz between them). Some other observations:
  • March is a shorter scope
  • Both have simple reticles that I like (MOAR-T and MTR-3)
  • NF used to be my favorite feel for turrets, the March is every bit its equal, perhaps a bit better. This is subjective, of course
  • March has a very simple zero stop, no tools. A coin or empty shell casing will do the trick.
  • March does have a much more sensitive parallax adjustment. This has been noted by others (see Google). I do not find this to be limiting in any way, but it is very noticeable.
  • Eye box on Atacr is just a bit better than March. Again, not limiting from my perspective. Both are very good.
Tracking, glass quality, low light,.... are not distinguishable to me.

Good luck

I own ATACR 5-25 and March 2.5-25, both SFP scopes. I nearly exclusively hunt. First, you cannot go wrong either way. Most obvious difference is weight (14 oz between them). Some other observations:
  • NF used to be my favorite feel for turrets, the March is every bit its equal, perhaps a bit better. This is subjective, of course
  • March has a very simple zero stop, no tools. A coin or empty shell casing will do the trick.
  • March does have a much more sensitive parallax adjustment. This has been noted by others (see Google). I do not find this to be limiting in any way, but it is very noticeable.
  • Eye box on Atacr is just a bit better than March. Again, not limiting from my perspective. Both are very good.

Good luck
Good. I like these detailed and objective reports. Thanks Clickr. Wish a local store had the March for me to get my hands on. EuroOptic is 2 hrs away. The eye box issue did concern me a little. For long range where you tend to have more time to settle for the shot, it doesn't create as much of and issue. It's the close and fast shots where little things like that come into play... And everyone is a little different in their individual tolerances on various points...

Good luck
I will add on this I think the March glass is better than gen 1 ATACR but the enhanced gen 2 edges out March a bit but the March has the ability to cut glare when looking into the sun that the NF glass doesn't have. I am not a fan of the rotating eyepiece on the NF scopes and the fine thread diopter adjustment takes too long, your eye adjusts while you are trying to dial it in.
The new March mentioned has the high master(HM) glass which is a step up from their "normal" glass.
For a lightweight hunting scope the March is hard to beat, I have no experience with the MK5 which is fairly light of the scopes mentioned. I don't mind carrying the extra weight of a quality optic and prefer to cut weight in other areas.
(edit)
The low profile turrets on the March make a very compact package also.

Last edited:
I have or had the NXS and NX8 and like them equally regardless of how to change power. Also, with my aging eyes I can't tell the difference in glass quality.

This is going on a Gunwerks 7-LRM Magnus that has the 5-25 ATACR on it now. Looking to shave some weight without sacrificing too much performance…. Maybe I'd even be happy with the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44? (I like the weight! But would like a little more power.) Zeiss? March? Most of my experience is with the NF's. Really like their solid turret system. Mine has the Mil-R C546 reticle which I would like to duplicate in some degree. Low-light performance is important to me as well as a critical hunting asset.

Longest shooting is at steel 1,000 – 1,500 yds – but only on occasion. Mostly hunting – mountain and prairie... Big game shots up to (rare) 1,000+ yds. - most between 100 - 500 yds.

Anxious to hear from this group of pros and their collective experience.

Stay safe and do some good today.
March!

Got the NX8 4-32 the other day. So far it seems like an upgrade from my 5.5-22 NXS...and more compact to boot. Likin it. Going on my 6.5-284. May try a K624i on the GW Magnus. Swaro glass makes me feel better switching from an ATACR, and losing a few oz helps too. 😎