Switch from ATACR?

Northkill

This is going on a Gunwerks 7-LRM Magnus that has the 5-25 ATACR on it now. Looking to shave some weight without sacrificing too much performance…. Maybe I'd even be happy with the Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44? (I like the weight! But would like a little more power.) Zeiss? March? Most of my experience is with the NF's. Really like their solid turret system. Mine has the Mil-R C546 reticle which I would like to duplicate in some degree. Low-light performance is important to me as well as a critical hunting asset.

Longest shooting is at steel 1,000 – 1,500 yds – but only on occasion. Mostly hunting – mountain and prairie... Big game shots up to (rare) 1,000+ yds. - most between 100 - 500 yds.

Anxious to hear from this group of pros and their collective experience.

Stay safe and do some good today.

The Mark 5 HD is a fantastic scope. I have two and the tracking is superb. I think for the money you can't go wrong with one. The NF is obviously a great piece of equipment, I don't think you'll be disappointed if you make the switch to save a few. Just my opinion.

I have an LRM magnus and also wanted to save some weight. So I tried these and then ended up with a MK5 3-18 on it. I believe I have total weight somewhere for all the scopes. We plan see if I can find the info.

I believe the mk5 put it at 9.4 lbs and the Revic was at 10.4

Edit.....
The PR-1 retical is my favorite from leupold

Attachments

• 69679A64-2E52-4252-882F-C6313584A31B.jpeg
    69679A64-2E52-4252-882F-C6313584A31B.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I have an LRM magnus and also wanted to save some weight. So I tried these and then ended up with a MK5 3-18 on it. I believe I have total weight somewhere for all the scopes. We plan see if I can find the info.

I believe the mk5 put it at 9.4 lbs and the Revic was at 10.4

Edit.....
The PR-1 retical is my favorite from leupold
Nice info. I can't quite make out what your top box is? The Leupold 3.6-18 is a 44mm objective. Do you feel it restricts performance in any way? How's the low-light performance? And have you any experience with the ATACR to compare it with?

Nice info. I can't quite make out what your top box is? The Leupold 3.6-18 is a 44mm objective. Do you feel it restricts performance in any way? How's the low-light performance? And have you any experience with the ATACR to compare it with?

Top box is a Kahles 525i. It's actually my favorite all around scope. The 3.8-18 x 44 is not in that photo. But it's what I left on that rifle for that particular hunt. Low light isn't as good as the kahles or swaro, but you would have to have them side by side to notice the slight difference. I would also say I couldn't notice the difference between the big and smaller mark 5's and I did have them side by side one day while breaking in a few rifles.

I have not been any night force but I do hear great things.

Tracking is great and weight was the big reason why I like them. Also really like the un cluttered reticle.

Top box is a Kahles 525i. It's actually my favorite all around scope. The 3.8-18 x 44 is not in that photo. But it's what I left on that rifle for that particular hunt. Low light isn't as good as the kahles or swaro, but you would have to have them side by side to notice the slight difference. I would also say I couldn't notice the difference between the big and smaller mark 5's and I did have them side by side one day while breaking in a few rifles.

I have not been any night force but I do hear great things.

Tracking is great and weight was the big reason why I like them. Also really like the un cluttered reticle.
Thanks for the feedback. I have he 525i on a 7 Allen Mag Magnus and that is a really nice scope. I'd put it pretty much along side the 5-25 ATACR overall, but Kahles probably a little better in low-light.

What happens if we bring an NX8 4-32 into this picture? I have no experience with those vs against my ATACR either...but they are a bit lighter.

FWIW, Here's one take on the NX8:

Nice review. Gets me leaning toward the NX8. Especially since I'm used to the NF's... Still wanna look through a 3.6-18 Mark 5HD yet... Maybe there's brands I'm missing that should be considered?

My shooting buddy even admits that my K525i is better than his ATACR..........Of course I think it gets easier to tell a difference between scopes the older you get:)
Have had both an ATACR and 624 - Hard to save too much weight without sacrificing something and if you want the best of everything on a high end LR rifle, you have to be willing to carry some extra weight. Love Leupold, nightforce, and other scopes and after owning and seeing them side by side, I bought a Kahles. The benefits were so prominent, I went and bought 7 more 624 scopes for the rest of my LR Rifles. Kahles is the tactical line from Swaro. You get the best swaro glass, the best function, and it weighs a few ounces less. Snipers Hide did a test on function and both the 624 scored best

Attachments

• IMG_2899.jpeg
    IMG_2899.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Have had both an ATACR and 624 - Hard to save too much weight without sacrificing something and if you want the best of everything on a high end LR rifle, you have to be willing to carry some extra weight. Love Leupold, nightforce, and other scopes and after owning and seeing them side by side, I bought a Kahles. The benefits were so prominent, I went and bought 7 more 624 scopes for the rest of my LR Rifles. Kahles is the tactical line from Swaro. You get the best swaro glass, the best function, and it weighs a few ounces less. Snipers Hide did a test on function and both the 624 and 525 scored best
My new 300 PRC with K624i.......Love it!

IMG_1510.jpegIMG_1511.jpegIMG_1512.jpeg