Switching from VX6-HD to ATACR

Supposedly Nightforce will be coming out with a 4-20 ATACR this year. If it shares the same footprint and weight as the 4-16x50 ATACR that could be a really nice do-all scope that is bombproof and not too awful in weight. Eagerly awaiting that one!
Look at the NX8 2.5-20x50 light weight and fits the power range also.

Thats exactly the Zack I was talking about, you resemble him maybe look a little younger,LOL. Small world, he is a good guy I have known him for at least 20 years. He has fished on my boat and we have duck hunted together.
You will love it. I have 5 ATACR 2FP ,4 in MOART and 1 MOAR and 2 FFP in MIL-R. I also have a NX8 4-32 FFP. Its a nice scope but I haven't had a chance to take them out side by side yet. I have taken the NX8 out to 1200yds doing load development and validation. I have had the ATACR's out to 1700 yds quite a few times and use a few in 1000yd F-Class at least twice a month for the last 5 years with out missing a beat and then lots of hunting. The only thing I could see that may bother you is the weight, it doesn't bother me, I can cut weight other places if need be.
Yeah, he's a super good dude! Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I just feel like if there's one place to cut weight, it isn't in quality optics. Or that at least shouldn't be your sole focus when searching for a good quality scope. I've also added a spotting scope to my arsenal this year as well. So my pack is getting heavier, but for the right reasons I believe.

0221DF43-8B1C-47F1-A573-9750ED9126B7.jpeg

Got it mounted up! Got about 1/16" of clearance from the barrel with my same mounts, which is exactly what I figured. Scope seems solid as a rock. Everything seems great! But one very apparent flaw is the rear eye cover. My bolt handle hits it in about every position and magnification setting. It's definitely useless and is not going to be on the scope. Other than that, everything seems legit. I'll shoot it tomorrow and write a good first impressions review!! I also don't like the push button illumination. The Leupold had it too. I just leave the batteries out because I hate how it always randomly gets turned on. I never use it anyways.

Last edited:
Did you check clearance on the scope cover when it's open? I have an ATACR on my Christensen and I have to have it clocked in the perfect spot to not have the bolt hit it when it's closed. When the scope cap is open, it's not an issue at all.

Did you check clearance on the scope cover when it's open? I have an ATACR on my Christensen and I have to have it clocked in the perfect spot to not have the bolt hit it when it's closed. When the scope cap is open, it's not an issue at all.
NOPE. I was checking with the cap closed and the hinge and clamp on opposite sides. Just threw it back on, aligned the hinge and clamp and actually opened the cap lol. I can go from 7-32x without any issues now hahaha. And I just have to rotate it slightly to go to 35X. Thanks dude!!

NOPE. I was checking with the cap closed and the hinge and clamp on opposite sides. Just threw it back on, aligned the hinge and clamp and actually opened the cap lol. I can go from 7-32x without any issues now hahaha. And I just have to rotate it slightly to go to 35X. Thanks dude!!
You bet! You've got a killer scope!!

I figure that when I can't handle the weight of this rifle/scope for hunting (200-1200yards), I'm may be ready to pack it in......My light weight, compact scopes have only taken off a few ounces less then a pound.
8D6D9BF5-09D3-46E4-9E0B-45E53CED961B.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.