Switching from VX6-HD to ATACR

Have you compared the new ATACR to March scopes for washout while viewing towards the sun?

Yes, it is very close to my March which I have found to be one of the best in minimizing glare. The new enhanced ATACR has better low light resolution then my March 2.5x25x52 which I would expect when comparing it to the more compact scopes.....IMO, this is the primary trade off when hunting dusk and dawn.

I wanted to clarity my position on the Atacr....I loved the quality of the scope. For me the only major factor was the weight. It's a big chunk and could do some damage in a bar fight...and still hold zero I'm sure.
I don't really shoot long range as a hobby. I use a scope for hunting only. I do practice at 400-500 but hardly ever hunt terrain to be able to take a shot that far. I've taken a liking to a simple duplex hunting reticle with an illuminated center dot, like the German #4 and similar ones. And I dial my yardage, so the turret is a factor. So the Atacr MOAR wasn't as busy as some but it just wasn't my flavor. The turrets were large and well made.....the movement was good by me.
Now I'm considering a March for those same reasons and feel safe that it will not disappoint compared to the S&B Exos and Swaro Z8i glass.
The March comes in at approx 24oz., which is plenty light. My only concern is the only model I can find in stock is the 42mm objective, and I'd like to have at least a 50, I've never used a 42mm.

Yes, it is very close to my March which I have found to be one of the best in minimizing glare. The new enhanced ATACR has better low light resolution then my March 2.5x25x52 which I would expect when comparing it to the more compact scopes.....IMO, this is the primary trade off when hunting dusk and dawn.
Greyfox, are you talking about the 56mm on the 5-25x or a 4-16x ?

Also the lower 2.5x power of the March seals the deal for me in the close up woods hunting as 5x is way too much power, but the 5-25x is fine on my elk rifle. I think scope choice is a compromise of all the items we have discussed and what fits your situation the best, there's not really a wrong answer.

Supposedly Nightforce will be coming out with a 4-20 ATACR this year. If it shares the same footprint and weight as the 4-16x50 ATACR that could be a really nice do-all scope that is bombproof and not too awful in weight. Eagerly awaiting that one!

Greyfox, are you talking about the 56mm on the 5-25x or a 4-16x ?

Also the lower 2.5x power of the March seals the deal for me in the close up woods hunting as 5x is way too much power, but the 5-25x is fine on my elk rifle. I think scope choice is a compromise of all the items we have discussed and what fits your situation the best, there's not really a wrong answer.
My ATACR is a 5x25x56 F2, Enhanced.
Don't get me wrong, I think the March is a superb scope as well...

The VX-6HD is noticeably better than the NSX glass but I think it's a toss up against the ATACR and would come down to ones eyes or preference.
The width of the ATACR windage & parallax turrets prevents a couple of my hard cases from closing. I have never had a Leupold fail to track but had a bad spring in the parallax adjustment( made a loud pinging noise when turned) but I would give the ATACR the edge in reliability at the cost of added weight. You already know it weighs more so you can't be disappointed, I think you will like it for the extra elevation....and it's your 1st of the legendary Nightforce ! They do have a great reputation.
I had that same ping. I sent it back and they fixed it no issue plus put new lenses in it for me. I got a new scope for the most part.

Well I just pulled the trigger on an ATACR 7-35X56 Enhanced (SFP) MOAR-T.

I've been using a Leupold VX6-HD 4-24X52 for the last year. It's been a great scope and has never let me down. Literally had no reason for the change up other than curiosity. I really wanted to compare their two top tier optics to each other.

I decided on the ATACR over the NX8 after a ton of research. Obviously the extra 10oz was the big hang up. But I feel, If I'm going to see what nightforce is all about, I should really go with their best scope with no compromises other than the weight. But with the weight comes a better overall package also. Super curious to throw this on my gun and see how it compares to the leupold and if the extra 11oz (over the leupold) is a game changer or not.

I hunt A LOT and pack my rifle around A LOT. The ATACR would bring my gun up to 9lb11oz. But the added weight will of course manage the recoil just that much better and I would assume, bring with it even more rigidity. Which is also a big deal with a rifle that is constantly strapped to a pack or throw over a shoulder for miles upon miles, and honestly somewhat abused.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the two scopes!! Also, I just love to mess with gear and stuff, so that's always fun haha. It'll be going on this Hells Canyon Armory "Carbon Killer" in 28 nosler. I shoot steel at 1000+ very often and this is furthest kill, at 630 yards.View attachment 240089
Super nice buck dude.! Congrats.!

The VX-6HD is noticeably better than the NSX glass but I think it's a toss up against the ATACR and would come down to ones eyes or preference.
The width of the ATACR windage & parallax turrets prevents a couple of my hard cases from closing. I have never had a Leupold fail to track but had a bad spring in the parallax adjustment( made a loud pinging noise when turned) but I would give the ATACR the edge in reliability at the cost of added weight. You already know it weighs more so you can't be disappointed, I think you will like it for the extra elevation....and it's your 1st of the legendary Nightforce ! They do have a great reputation.

I owned an NXS and liked it alot. I have only looked through an ATACR a couple of times but never in low light. I do have some time behind the NX8 and loved it. I also have a little time behind the 15-55 Comp and the glass is as good as there is out there IMO. NF products are excellent.

I've had great success with the nightforce scopes I've had and still use. I've had very unimpressive results with leupold. My 5-24x56 atacr replaced a 4-16 Schmidt Bender that was a stellar scope, but I'm shooting marmots out around 1300 yards and want to try at a mile so needed more magnification. I'll hunt long range elk with the same rifle and 5x was as high as I wanted to go on the low end. The scope was all I hoped it would be on last falls marmot hunts. Good glass is subjective and good turrets are an absolute must.

I've had great success with the nightforce scopes I've had and still use. I've had very unimpressive results with leupold. My 5-24x56 atacr replaced a 4-16 Schmidt Bender that was a stellar scope, but I'm shooting marmots out around 1300 yards and want to try at a mile so needed more magnification. I'll hunt long range elk with the same rifle and 5x was as high as I wanted to go on the low end. The scope was all I hoped it would be on last falls marmot hunts. Good glass is subjective and good turrets are an absolute must.
Great to hear. My absolute must haves are good tracking, RTO, durability and dependability. Like you stated, good glass is definitely subjective and I don't feel like I'll be taking a loss in area with the ATACR. The scope is supposed to show up tomorrow. I'm more than excited to start testing it out!!

Supposedly Nightforce will be coming out with a 4-20 ATACR this year. If it shares the same footprint and weight as the 4-16x50 ATACR that could be a really nice do-all scope that is bombproof and not too awful in weight. Eagerly awaiting that one!
Ohhhhhh, that would definitely be sweet!

No, my name is Steve Evans. Got a buddy named Zack Showaker though. I just did a Caribou hunt with him.
Thats exactly the Zack I was talking about, you resemble him maybe look a little younger,LOL. Small world, he is a good guy I have known him for at least 20 years. He has fished on my boat and we have duck hunted together.

Great to hear. My absolute must haves are good tracking, RTO, durability and dependability. Like you stated, good glass is definitely subjective and I don't feel like I'll be taking a loss in area with the ATACR. The scope is supposed to show up tomorrow. I'm more than excited to start testing it out!!
You will love it. I have 5 ATACR 2FP ,4 in MOART and 1 MOAR and 2 FFP in MIL-R. I also have a NX8 4-32 FFP. Its a nice scope but I haven't had a chance to take them out side by side yet. I have taken the NX8 out to 1200yds doing load development and validation. I have had the ATACR's out to 1700 yds quite a few times and use a few in 1000yd F-Class at least twice a month for the last 5 years with out missing a beat and then lots of hunting. The only thing I could see that may bother you is the weight, it doesn't bother me, I can cut weight other places if need be.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.