Switching from VX6-HD to ATACR

I am in the same boat but when I try a new scope I go ahead and build a new rifle to go along with it. I have the early VX-6 4-24x and like it but like the March 2.5-25x52 better and they sit on most of my hunting rifles as the glass is better and more elevation 120 MOA vs ~70 for the VX-6. I have had four NF scopes and am down to two of them as I'm not a fan of the rotating eyepiece and I had the not in focus while the image is parallax free issue. I recently put the 5-25x ATACR on a 9lb 300 RUM and the first thing that struck me was how big the turrets were compared to the March and VX-6, but that's part of having an ATACR, it's big, heavy, and packs a bit awkward compared to the more compact models. The clicks on the March are more pronounced and the zero stop is the easiest around. As far as recoil management goes switch out that 3 port brake to a 4 or 5 port and you will be happier. I push a 227 grain over 3,000 fps and very little recoil and can spot shots at 20x with a 5 port Beast from Muzzle Brakes And More. I took a cow at 987 yards with the ATACR so yes it works and I'm happy with it.
I see where u are a March fan....I'm considering buying their 2.5-25 and just can't make up my mind.
I just sold a rifle with a Swaro Z8i on it and I couldn't have been more impressed and hated to sell it. My main hunting rifle is a .280ai with a S&B Exos, and aside from it being a little heavy it rivals any glass I've ever looked through.
So I'm getting a lighter weight build and want a lighter scope....must have a simple duplex illuminated reticle and a friendly yardage turret. The March is 10oz lighter than the S&B, has the desired reticle and comes in a bit less than the Swarovski.
How does it perform in low light? And where can I find one??
EuroOptics has one available but it's mil adjustments and I'd prefer MOA. It's also the 44mm objective and I'd like the larger one. I've heard nothing but good things About them and am about ready to take the plunge.

The VX-6HD is noticeably better than the NSX glass but I think it's a toss up against the ATACR and would come down to ones eyes or preference.
The width of the ATACR windage & parallax turrets prevents a couple of my hard cases from closing. I have never had a Leupold fail to track but had a bad spring in the parallax adjustment( made a loud pinging noise when turned) but I would give the ATACR the edge in reliability at the cost of added weight. You already know it weighs more so you can't be disappointed, I think you will like it for the extra elevation....and it's your 1st of the legendary Nightforce ! They do have a great reputation.
I had a rifle built recently and topped it with a the Atacr 5-25x52, i think that was the exact specs.....anyway I sold it right away. The quality was exceptional....it was built like a brick $h!thouse....and the glass was very good. I never considered the weight and that was a mistake. The bare rifle has a 24" barrel and a 419 brake, it weighs just shy of 9lbs bare. The scope, which I think weighed 39oz made it too heavy for me. It seemed top heavy and I just couldn't get past it. I also prefer a simple duplex reticle and I dial my yardage.....it has to be illuminated as well. I didn't like the illumination feature on the Atacr either. Not user friendly in my opinion.
I ended up buying a Schmidt Bender Exos and couldn't be happier. A convenient dial for illumination, it's 8-9oz lighter, and the glass is second to none. I found a demo online and bought it for around the same $$ as the Atacr.
The only other glass that compares is the Swarovski Z8i......I just sold a rifle with one on top and it was every bit as clear, weighed even less than the Exos, but the illuminated dot wasn't as crisp.
Im the kind of guy who will spend less on the rifle to afford better quality glass.
Just don't ignore the weight and assume it won't make a difference.....especially if it's on a rifle that you'll be carrying a lot in the field.

I had a rifle built recently and topped it with a the Atacr 5-25x52, i think that was the exact specs.....anyway I sold it right away. The quality was exceptional....it was built like a brick $h!thouse....and the glass was very good. I never considered the weight and that was a mistake. The bare rifle has a 24" barrel and a 419 brake, it weighs just shy of 9lbs bare. The scope, which I think weighed 39oz made it too heavy for me. It seemed top heavy and I just couldn't get past it. I also prefer a simple duplex reticle and I dial my yardage.....it has to be illuminated as well. I didn't like the illumination feature on the Atacr either. Not user friendly in my opinion.
I ended up buying a Schmidt Bender Exos and couldn't be happier. A convenient dial for illumination, it's 8-9oz lighter, and the glass is second to none. I found a demo online and bought it for around the same $$ as the Atacr.
The only other glass that compares is the Swarovski Z8i......I just sold a rifle with one on top and it was every bit as clear, weighed even less than the Exos, but the illuminated dot wasn't as crisp.
Im the kind of guy who will spend less on the rifle to afford better quality glass.
Just don't ignore the weight and assume it won't make a difference.....especially if it's on a rifle that you'll be carrying a lot in the field.
I hear you on this one dude!! I have definitely taken weight into consideration. I had the rifle built ultralight 6lb 10oz, so that I could add weight with the scope for shootability. But I'm definitely unsure how 9lbs compared to 9lbs11oz will feel. Only one way to find out hahaha.

Mark5HD has considerably better optical properties over the NX8. I've literally compared them for months to each other in ever situations. I'm not a fan of the NX8 at all in any way. Edge to edge, contrast, CA, resolution, brightness and so on. The Mark5HD is on the heels of the ATaCR but much better than the NX8.

The "improved", 2nd Gen ATACR with its improved parallax controls, shorter turrets, and nicer glass is a noticeable improvement over my the original ATACR. In 5x25/MOAR, it has performed superbly in all aspects/requirements for my LR hunting....Particularly low light work. The 3/4 of a pound or so of weight, and extra inch of length has been quickly forgotten about.

I have both the March (2.5 - 25 x 52) and the ATACR (5-25). Both SFP . Differences (from my experience are) below. I only use for hunting. This does not address original post, but figured if there were others considering same it may help. Just one man's opinion.

Parallax - March is very sensitive. Not a show stopper but be aware

Eye box - slight advantage to ATACR. This is only even noticeable as you near the 25X mag.

Turrets - Both have precise clicks but March turrets are much smaller and setting zero stop only needs a coin. Dirt simple. Advantage March. I have found both to hold zero and are accurate (I tested by zero, then up 10 MOA then, back to zero. 2 shots at each position. Both scopes were spot on).

Glass - Toss up. Both terrific. Accurate, clear, high contrast, bright. My old eyes cannot see any difference. Younger eyes may see it differently.

Reticle - MTR3 vs MOAR-T : Both are simple cross hair style reticles with vertical/horizontal marks. The MOAR T is a much finer cross hair version of MOAR. For hunting it is ~OK, but a bit more of a struggle. March MTR3 is perfect line width for me.

Illumination - MOAR T illuminates only the cross hair in the middle. Personal preference - I like this better. To be honest, I have never used illumination when hunting. Not sure it is even needed.

Weight - slam dunk....March

Magnification Range - for hunting east coast (woods) being able to dial down to 2.5x is a game changer. Out west, starting at 5X is no problem. Advantage March.

Can't wait to hear your review of the ATACR. I think weight aside, you will love it.

The "improved", 2nd Gen ATACR with its improved parallax controls, shorter turrets, and nicer glass is a noticeable improvement over my the original ATACR. In 5x25/MOAR, it has performed superbly in all aspects/requirements for my LR hunting....Particularly low light work. The 3/4 of a pound or so of weight, and extra inch of length has been quickly forgotten about.
Great to hear!! I was definitely more entrigued with the changes made to the Enhanced model for sure. And I personally like SFP so it was a win win on that decision! I was going to go with the 5-25, but got a killer deal on the 7-35 ($2600 brand new) and thought what hell hahaha. Lose 2X on the low end but gain 10X on the high end for target shooting. I'll give it a shot!

Have you compared the new ATACR to March scopes for washout while viewing towards the sun?

Have you compared the new ATACR to March scopes for washout while viewing towards the sun?
That is something the lens coatings in March seems to tame, 1st gen ATACR and NXS didn't but I don't have an enhanced version.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.