Swarovski 1500 Laser Rangefinder and the Leica 1200

Ian,
Thanks for such an informative post on the two units. Having owned both units I can agree with you on some of the observations of these units but have to disagree on some of what I would call the most important issues of both units.

You had said in your post "The Swarovski is easier to use in the field than the Leica 1200. The larger eyepiece, coupled with the larger sending button combine to make for faster, easier readings." I totally disagree with your opinion.

I have used the Leica on many hunts in the past and loved it. I saw the new Swarovski Laser Guide 8X30 and thought that it would serve a dual purpose as a bow hunting optic/rangefinder. This might let me use just the rangefinder alone to hunt in areas that do not require much glassing. I then could use it on rifle hunts as well. The optic is without question great, but the ranging function really was useless. The laser is super SLOW and I mean SLOW!!!!! I could not get a single reading on an Antelope at 65 yards until I had pushed it 4-5 times. By then the jig was up with out a shot. I thought I might not be using it correctly when I allowed my friend to use it with the same results. We then brought out his Leica and did not have any problems. Very quick and fast readings with only one push of the button. This happened on an elk hunt that I guided this fall, same results….SLOW readings with multiple push of the button to get a reading. The Swarovski's are a little bulky compared to the Leica's and the holster that it fits in being hard plastic was very irritating.

I found this unit not even close to being worth the $860 w/tax I paid for them. I had wished I didn't sell my Leica's. I took the Swarovski's back to where I bought them. They looked at the unit and verified it was operating correctly. I could not live with it functioning in this manner so I bought the Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF and nothing compares to them!! Finally got my dual purpose bow hunting optic/rangefinder.

In my opinion, I would buy the Leica's LRF over the Swarovski Laser Guide based on the price and function any day of the week! Save your $$$ and buy the Leica's.

Kam,
I believe I mentioned the unit may be somewhat slower to obtain a reading but not so much that I have a problem when hunting. I really like the Swaro and also the Leica Geovid - but now that I have used the Vector I am ruined for life...
I would not hestitate to hunt with a Swaro, Leica or the sweet little Bushnell Elite 1500 for most of what we do.

I BOUGHT ONE LOVE IT. HAVE GOT READING OUT TO 1990 YDS. ON A GOOD DAY AND 1500 TO 1600 ON A NOT SO GOOD DAY. THE BEST ONE ON THE MARKET [ QUOTE ]
Rick,

I am left handed/ left eye dom as well and have a Swaro, it works just fine either eye. The performance of mine I have posted about late last year. I can not say enought good about the Swaro unit. I have gotten good readings at 1560 yards into dirt and grass. If you use a tripod to steady it I have gotten several solid readings at 1600-1718 yards on a good target (light colored rock). The more I use it, the more I am of the opinion that the rest are junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a leica 1200 scan and on a sunny day it will not range past 700 yards. Everything has to be perfect for it to work out to a 1000. 700 to 750yrds is the best it will do in the sunlight.

Ian ,

Thanks a mill for your post/review. I have one as well ( Swaro) I can concur on most everything you have experienced ,..........however, I want to sell mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif See , I want a Leica Duovid ( 10 x to 15 x with the twist of a wrist, with the laser piggybacking , you know , like the Geovid10x42 brf only more mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I think this would be the ultimate combo for the LRHunter and I* don't care whether Leica or Swaro makes it, just hoipe one of them does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Not holding my breath though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim

Anyone tried the Newcon's? 1500 meter version? I've heard both very good and very bad reviews of them and nothing in between. I definately like their prices.

Had the LRB 1500 Newcons. Not a good experience. Very happy with the Swaro 1500 though.

David.

For who may be interested and on a limited budget, I looked at the Swarovski 1500, Leica 1200 and Bushnell Elite 1500, but only compared them in the store for Size, price and optics. Swarovski Optics was the best by far.
I searched the internet for pricing and decided to try the Elite 1500, and since there is a 30 return policy and the price was 340 to 399 compared to 599 or 850+. For the Leica and Swarovski.

With 1 day of testing in bright light of Arizona. I can laser a wall min of 6 yards, to 1072 yards for a bush pretty constantly, free hand to the bush. I was not able to laser a bush past that point free hand. I did not have any animals to laser for this test, but hope to do some more testing next time I go out and bring a tri-pod.
Also the Elite use's a simple 9 volt battery.
So far I'm happy with the Elite and will retire my Bushnell 800 pro. Any one interested in the 800 pro for less than half of new?
Will post more tests, as soon as I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.