Leica 1200 Rangefinder

meathead

I was finished with my timber hunt for Elk or whatever and was driving the dirt road out of the mountains where it opens up to sagebrush and grass hillsides. I stopped and decided to glass for Mulys. It was about 4:30pm and the sun was down behind the mountains, sky clear and about 15 degrees F. I was glassing the eastern slopes and right off the bat I started to spot deer. Nothing to get excited about, just does and one forked young buck. The buck was with one doe on one high bench, and four does on a closer ridge. I decided to try lazing them. The Leica gave me instant readings on the buck at 1134 yds. I took three or four reading ON THE BUCK and got the same reading everytime! I switched to the four does and got 849 yrds and 851 yds several times! To bad I was packing the 338-06, as there was a dead calm so the little buck was doable with the long range rig. Oh well
frown.gif
Anyway, I am impressed with the Leica and would like to thank everyone on this board who recommened it.

I've never ranged to a deer at that range because of them being in the woods where I shoot, but, for ranging pines, or rocks, I have had similar results out to about 1220 yds. I think it stops working past there because of the firmware because I get real good quick readings out to just over 1200 and then it just quits. I've heard of people with other brands getting numbers way over the listed range under extremely good conditions, but never had that with my Leica. My Bushnell 1000 would do 1500yds in the dark. Just wouldn't range 400 in daylight. I had a Newcon 1500 that wouldn't do 700 in daylight. Well, I don't hunt over 300 yds at night much, so I kept the Leica.

I also think that the results depend on the rangefinder you get and the user. I may have a good Leica, and you get one that doesn't work as well even though they are the same model for example. I know this to be true with Bushnell's because my neighbors 1K works much better than mine did.

In addition, I've had people who could not range 75 yards with my Leica. I cannot guess what the hell they were doing to screw it up that bad, but, short of waving it around and ranging, I can't repeat that. So, I concluded that some people are simply inept at holding the unit still. This same person couldn't range a barn 275 yds away. With a NEW STEEL ROOF! Don't ask me?

Glad to hear your's works well for ya. I know others have different views about them and about differing brands. It's not all things to everyone, But, like I say, the price per yard is about as inexpensive as anything and only gets beat by a Barr & Stroud. For a carry unit, other than the illegal models, I like it the best. I've never had my hands on a Nikon and would think they also would be a quality unit.

dbhostler*
It is the LRF 1200(pre-scan)
4mesh063*
I agree. When my Father visited me after "lo these many years" I whipped out the Leica to show it off, and he couldn,t get it to read anything(a little shakey at 78)I have heard that holding a lazer rangefinder steady is VERY important and I almost bought the Bushnell 1000 because it is threaded for tripod usage. Which brings up this question:
Mr. Kidcoltoutlaw
Where can I get the tripod adapter??
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I have one in the 1200 scan model and love it. I am new to the board and I have been reading the post for a while and it is great.I think I can learn a lot here.

what is the differance between the LRF and the scan model? And the differance in $$$?

what is the differance between the LRF and the scan model? And the differance in $$$?

GS,

The LRF is the standard model that you point at a stationary object and it gives you a range. The scan model, constantly updates the numbers so you can get a "floating range" on items as you pan the rangefinder around. It simply fires the laser very often and gives a realtime reading on the range.

FWIW, a little trivia on rangefinders. For those of you who feel the laser is a powerful laser diode, beleive it or not, it actually uses about 1/20th the power of the IR remote control for your TV. Even for myself with hands on experience with that sort of thing I still am amazed at the emitter, receiver, and amplifier technology in these things. Sorting the signal out of all the light noise present just blows my mind. I realize that a lot of it is in the lenses but still for the electronics to see that burst of light and time it, ... wow.

I just did a test between a Bushnell 1000 yard pro and a Nikon 400 yarder (mine).
I ranged a target at 419 yards with the Nikon, was never able to get a reading on the Bushnell, quality of target never went over more than one bar on the thing. I was ranging to a tree that had a reflective "No Hunting/Private Porperty" sign on it, couldnt ask for a better target "reflective".
Ive always gotten good readings form my Nikon its a bit hard on deer at 350 yards plus gotta hit that range button a few times and hold extremely still.
The Bushnells never gave me a reading on anything I ranged maybe it was me but Ill stick with my Nikon's.
One of these days I'll get those Leica's though.

Has anyone had a problem with the LFR 1200 read in fog or rain, beacuse I couldn't get the thing to take areading on a whitetail that was about 200 yds on a foggy misty evening.

Craig, I don't seem to remember ever having mine out in the rain. Nor fog for that matter. It will be foggy tomorow morning here and it's raining now, I'll get it out and see how mine works and get back with ya. 200 yards seems a little too close to have troubles (to me). I've been amazed how different that Leica is than the others I had. I never got good readings in the dark, where most other units work super. Yet, in daylight, it's right on where others usually stink. I'll let you know on the fog for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.