Leica 1200 Rangefinder

I haven't had mine out in rain that was too bad yet, at least I haven't used them in the bad rain so far as I can remember.

I did use my YP1000 in very, very heavy fog one time. We couldn't even shoot at 200 yards it was so bad, 100 yards was barely doable. Mid day, chrono never worked once either, it got that dark out.

The YP1000 did range the target at 500 yards with a slight fog at first, and that's where we were planning on shooting the gongs at after we all dialed in good 100 yards zeros, or verified them.

I remember ranging the target when we were getting ready to set up at 200 before moving to 500, dad wanted to zero one of his SA scopes at 200 so the BDC worked right. The rangfinder worked, but you'd of never seen the bullet holes, and could "barely" see the black circle on the white paper. The white paper soon blended in with the fog and the snowy backstop and we never ended up firing another shot that day, 200 yards never happened.

I'm not sure if the YP1000 did OK because it works awesome at dawn or dusk, or some other reason.
I would think they'd all have problem with "any" particles interfering with the beam, and all be affected the same way?

It does hold it's own out to 600-800 yards in the mid day sun. Often, darker objects like spruce trees, moose, etc are better to get readings from than other things you'd think would be more reflective, really, really strange. 1400 yards and beyond ranges are easy as the light dwindles on the spruce trees. Maybe if I run 18 volts throught the thing it would do 1500 yards in the DAY!
grin.gif

Anyone converting the Leica 1200's to the Vector model somehow?
grin.gif

Well, it went below freezing and all I had here was snow this morning. I suppose the bear hunters were happy but, there was no fog to range in. First time in over a week.

I had my first experience with my LRF 1200 (Non-scan) in the fog just after Thanksgiving. I was hunting deer in northern Idaho and the patchy fog limited visibility with the naked eye to about 250 or so yards. I looked through my rangefinder, I could see a deer out in the fog that was not visible with the naked eye. I could not get a range on it because of the fog. Both my Dad and I estimated 300 - 350 yards, so I dialed in the elevation and dropped the deer (my longest shot on a deer so far). I am a little bummed that it couldn't give me a range in the fog, but nothing is perfect. It has worked flawlessly everywhere else.

Craig Lange,
You ask if anyone has had a problem in "fog or "rain". My Leica Geovid will only range what you can see will your own eyes in the fog or maybe a little less.

The rain has no effect on them,but a heavy snow will shorten the distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.