Swaro vs Huskemaw

IndianaMatt

Guys I am getting closer to getting a rifle ordered. The funds are stacking up! So I am looking at optics. I have owned a few Zeiss scopes and love them but this time I am thinking something different. I have been looking at a Swaro Z5 and a Huskemaw blue Diamond. I figure both are great optics and comparable in price. Which one would you choose and why?

The rifle will be a mid weight hunting rig. I haven't decided in chambering yet but something close to 6.5 PRC or 6.5-284.

Well... I put my hardhat on for this one for the rock throwing that will ensue.

I have a few long range hunting rifles with 3-12 and 4-16 Huskemaw optics and have found nothing bad about them.
Glass and weight is good, reticle is great and turrets have dialed up and down as good as any.

Glass should be better on the Swaro but from my research (I never owned one) they don't normally dial up and down as good as other top tier scopes.

One of my rifles is in 6.5-284 like you're interested in and with the custom dial, I can make good first round hits way out there on steel and have made kill shots on game out to 560.

Last edited:
Guys I am getting closer to getting a rifle ordered. The funds are stacking up! So I am looking at optics. I have owned a few Zeiss scopes and love them but this time I am thinking something different. I have been looking at a Swaro Z5 and a Huskemaw blue Diamond. I figure both are great optics and comparable in price. Which one would you choose and why?

The rifle will be a mid weight hunting rig. I haven't decided in chambering yet but something close to 6.5 PRC or 6.5-284.
How far do you plan to shoot? You plan on dialing for elevation I would assume?
Swarovski will have better glass and be lighter but you will be limited to 800 yards and under for the turret.

Huskemaw glass isn't bad and I think it's going to be more reliable for dialing elevation but they are .3" clicks instead of .25".

I took my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 to the store. The clerk picked up his Huskmaw and brought it outside to compare with mine. I set up a sandbag on top of the car and aimed the z5 at an optics chart I stapled to a power pole a couple blocks away. I asked the clerk to adjust the scope all he wanted until he was convinced it was as good as it could get. Then I asked him to do the same with the Huskemaw.. Then I did the same thing. Both agree there was no difference in the glass quality.

Again, I reminded myself, One does not get what he pays for, but what he shops for.

I just went back and read what the others posted. The reliability of the z5 is terrible. Twice the ballistic turret quit functioning on my z5. Both time a note was included when it was returned: Replaced erector.

How far do you plan to shoot? You plan on dialing for elevation I would assume?
Swarovski will have better glass and be lighter but you will be limited to 800 yards and under for the turret.

Huskemaw glass isn't bad and I think it's going to be more reliable for dialing elevation but they are .3" clicks instead of .25".
I would love to be capable of 1000. That is kind of the entire point of this build.

The z5 Swarovski only gives 13.25 Moa of elevation adjustment because of the zero stop so unless you zero it at about 350+ yards you won't get 1000 yards.
IIRC... Husky standard turrets have only one revolution which would take you up to 21 MOA or so.
With a 200 yard zero your looking at about 900+/- yards with a 6.5-284.
I've tapped the 1000 plate with mine by using the 2 MOA hash marks as MOA builders.

IIRC... Husky standard turrets have only one revolution which would take you up to 21 MOA or so.
With a 200 yard zero your looking at about 900+/- yards with a 6.5-284.
I've tapped the 1000 plate with mine by using the 2 MOA hash marks as MOA builders.
They offer a double stack turret so you can continue yardage on secondary revolution.

I have Blue Diamonds with single turrets and have no issues with them as far as I'm willing to shoot game with.
I'm sure the newer Tactical Hunters glass is somewhat better as well as the turret feel and function.

The Z5's aren't real reliable, I have had a couple of them and they have all had issues with either tracking or zero retention. The X5 is definitely a step up but I had one of those go down too so they aren't bulletproof. Swaro makes incredible binos and spotters but they need to re-think their scopes a little bit. Great glass but that doesn't do you much good if it won't hold zero.

I have only owned one Husky and shot a few others. For the money I'm not impressed, the glass isn't great, the zero stop is kinda a joke and the 1/3 moa turrets and reticle are a little goofy. I don't think they are bad scopes they just charge about 2x what I think they should for them.

Yeah... I agree they shouldn't be priced where they are.
I've never bought one for full advertised price. I've found mine on discounted sales in the $650- $800 range.

They work well for what they are...which is better than a lot of them.

As for the ones without custom turrets, instead of doing the 1/3 MOA math, I simply find my dope and wrap tape around and mark off yardage for drop.
Range, dial, shoot...simple and effective.

I actually like the reticle because it seems to center the target quickly and the expanding windage marks makes counting windage quicker since they are not all the same size.

I simply have too many rifles to buy top tier for all. I have Nightforce, Zeiss, Razors, Lupys, Burris and Meoptas.
They all work well for their intended purpose.

If they don't...They don't stay here...just like my rifle barrels!

Just my .02...

I'm a big fan of swaro glass….but wont buy another Z3, Z5 or Z6. I'm getting ready to send a Z3 back to the shop for the second time…as it won't hold zero….again. Glass quality is not uniform. Some Z3s have better glass than a Z5 or Z6, and some are pathetic. None have dialed reliably. I will say I have one Z3 and one Z5 with brilliant glass that have been outstanding when used as set and forget scopes, even on hard kicking rifles (300wby/7STW).

I've only played with Huskema in a gun show. They looked and felt like LOW built optics of which I've been a fan. Of course, it would take owning and shooting several for mult years to be able to give a fair report.

Recent Posts