huskemaw vs leupold cds

silvertip-co

thinking about a huskemaw 4-16x blue diamond with dual turret knobs for my 300roy next yr. having had many fine leupolds in past im curious how the leupold cds system compares with the huskemaw system given both are specific to the cal/bc/fps/environmental/elev. any members actually used both and could comment? tyia

thinking about a huskemaw 4-16x blue diamond with dual turret knobs for my 300roy next yr. having had many fine leupolds in past im curious how the leupold cds system compares with the huskemaw system given both are specific to the cal/bc/fps/environmental/elev. any members actually used both and could comment? tyia
I think they are both a scam and a money grab. I do own one of each and it's a complete scam waste of time and money. You can make a drop chart and tape it to the stock or a lense protector.

I own both scopes. The optics are better on the Leupold, especially in low light. The dial is significantly better on the Huskemaw. The clicks are much more pronounced. I had problems with the Leupold not returning to zero. If Huskemaw had the low light capabilities of the Leupold, you would have a superior scope. The 1/3" clicks on the Huskemaw are a little weird too.

I think they are both a scam and a money grab. I do own one of each and it's a complete scam waste of time and money. You can make a drop chart and tape it to the stock or a lense protector.
I guess thats an interesting take

Leupolds out then. I dont use them or a drop chart but they make a lot of sense for a lot of people

Do you make a drop chart every time you have a significant change in elevation and conditions too?

Many people use a LRF with ballistics calculator. In that case, it will compensate for environmentals through the sensors on the LRF. So as long as your scope is zeroed and you have validated the drops, you get a solution that will be current and accurate. It will tell you how many MOA to dial, and you dial to that MOA on the scope. If you change bullets or anything else, the only thing you need to update is the info that goes in the ballistics calculator; no dial to order, pay for, and wait for.

You can also do drop charts, but those must be updated for environmentals if the distance and/or changes require it. If the shot is maybe 300-500 and in the drops for those ranges should hold.

🤣 🤣That was harsh for sure!! I have several CDS coupons I have never used. Yes, you can build a chart to allow maybe slightly....slightly more accuracy on dope past 5-600yds. For me this would apply to any pre-set drop dial regardless of who makes it. Try the Hornady free calculator and throw in some different environmental variables to see minimal differences if any. NOW, my son and his buddy are going to Africa this next year and will cash in a coupon for a dial to match their trip. This is due to the need for easy, clear, fast, and accurate adjustments if one is made. Yes, they are more than accurate enough for a once in a lifetime African hunt.

Do you make a drop chart every time you have a significant change in elevation and conditions too?
You will be surprised how minimal of the Point of Impact reality is. Sure, if you run numbers from sea level and 100 degrees compared to 10000' and 15 degrees there will be a noticeable difference. Reality is few if any hunt more than 3000' feet change in a day. Run the numbers in the middle of what elevation you will actually hunt with an average temperature. The difference is minimal and few can shoot that accurately at distance.