huskemaw vs leupold mark 4 m1

Depends on the uses.
The biggest negative to me is Huskemaw's small amount of windage adjustment.
For the multi-types of LR shooting I do, it is not enough.
For LR hunting only, it does not pose a problem.
Then it becomes a matter of preference about reticles, zero stops, etc...

Which models? I have four Leupold 16x40 M1s. Zero Huskemaws.
I like the 16x40 for:
huge elevation adjustment
light weight
properly calibrated mil-dot reticle
long eye relief
simple
rugged
I prefer the fixed 16x40.

The only scope I own which I like better is a Horus Vision Falcon with an H37 reticle.
It's advantage is that it's much faster to use because it eliminates knob twisting.
It's disadvantage is that it's big and heavy.

What I'd really like a simple, light, and rugged scope like the Leupold with a mil grid reticle similar to the H37.

This question is like the 308 vs 30-06 debate. IT NEVER ENDS WELL. It seems the 3 best ways I know to start a dust up, or ruffle feathers on L/R/H is to start a post about Huskemaw, 308 vs 30-06, or H.A.T. bullets! These posts are better left alone or researched using the search function to access the L/R/H archives.
IMO its a personal preferance thing. Both scopes work as advertised. I am from Oregon, and Im very loyal, local, and opinionated, and money concience. So you can guess my vote, but again, these kinds of posts dont ever end well. Do a search and youll see.......
In the end, it all comes down to personal preferance. The best thing to do is to TRY BOTH PERSONALLY, Price both, and get wichever YOU like best.

I am not tryin to start up any bs or anything. I am in the market for a long range scope and don't want to regret my purchase. I only have the funds for a one time purchase. To tell you the truth its a toss up between leupold mark 4, huskamaw, vortex pst, night force br, and the trijicon long range. Sorry if I sarted any wrong doings just tryin to buy a scope with no regrets.

If you plan on competing or practicing in high winds, do not get the Huskemaw IMO.
I own a Huskemaw, a Mark 4, and a NXS.

I looked at scopes for the last year, and I looked threw all that interested me. But I also was concerned with weight. I picked the mark 4, 6-20x 50, TMR, M5 . So far very happy

I own a mark 4 6.5-20X50 with the illum. TMR reticle and have looked through a huskemaw and I think the leupold is optically better. To me the leupold was much more clear and sharp optically. Also, I am not a big fan of scopes with adjustable turrets, I hunt and shoot in too many different places and would have to have several different turrets. So, for me the mark 4 is the way to go.

Thanks for all the input. Its hard cause at my out door store they both are side by side. I think I'm going more on the mark 4 side. Because I hunt and shoot all over new mexico and anyone that's been heer knows the elevation can change big time in short distance and weather. And my bulistics calculater reads all that on its own in the field.

Last edited:
I own mostly Leupold with one Nightforce ( just bought a 5.5-22x50 with speed dials, zero stop and NP-R1 reticle ) and I have looked through a Huskemaw but never used one. My favorite scope is Leupold's Long Range VXlll's. With Kenton MOA turrets they are hard to beat. I am not a fan of the custom turrets calibrated for certain loads because I feel they are limited in their use. But if you are going to be hunting in one area all of the time then I am sure these would work fine.

QUESTION: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT MANUFACTURER BUILDS THE HUSKEMAW FOR BOTW?? Sorry for the hijack but this question has never been answered!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.