Suppressor that don’t break ya

Someone said Banish and Thunder beast are at the top, not in 2021, and not in 2022 either.
Lol. Ok. Greats reads at Pew. 13 of the of the 15 "top performing" suppressors use subsonic 22LR, Subsonic 300 BLK, or subsonic 9mm. The perfect rating scale, seeing as how it completely and utterly disregards the entire concept of being able to kill what you're shooting at and not just **** it off. Actually, it doesn't actually even consider hitting anything. It's 100% sound based. Consideration for weight seems absent as well, but if you don't care about accuracy why would that matter?

There's one TBAC - the Ultra 9 - listed on the website (it was tied for #3 shooting supersonic centerfire rifle also, definitely "not at the top") , which is a a whole generation behind current production, and the review includes this:
The repeatability of the measured sound signature characteristics may be indicative of the repeatable accuracy potential of the ULTRA 9, but this has not been verified by PEW Science.

The silencer is advertised to have "very little to 'no' first round pop" which is independently verified in this PEW Science Sound Signature Review... The ULTRA 9 exhibits advanced sound signature suppression and is the first centerfire rifle silencer tested by PEW Science that is postulated to almost completely mask perception of first-round-pop... Given the performance characteristics highlighted in this review, the ULTRA 9 illustrates a possible upper bound of sound signature suppression performance for that length and diameter design envelope.

So it might be the best for suppression, not just currently, but best possible for the size, they lived up to their marketing hype regarding first shot suppression, and BTW we didn't test the whole point of TBAC which is precision rifle accuracy.

But hey, in other news, water is wet, subsonic 22LRs are quiet, and Anna Nichole married for love, just in case anyone needed the obvious stated for them 🤣

Last edited:
Lol. Ok. Greats reads at Pew. 11 of the 12 of the "top performing" suppressors use subsonic 22LR, Subsonic 300 BLK, or Subsonic 9mm. The perfect rating scale, seeing as how it completely and utterly disregards the entire concept of being able to kill what you're shooting at and not just **** it off. Actually, it doesn't actually even consider hitting anything. It's 100% sound based.

There's one TBAC - the Ultra 9 - listed on the website, which is a a whole generation behind current production, and the review includes this:

So it might be the best for suppression, not just currently, but best possible for the size, they lived up to their marketing hype regarding first shot suppression, and BTW we didn't test the whole point of TBAC which is precision rifle accuracy.

But hey, in other news, water is wet, subsonic 22LRs are quiet, and Anna Nichole married for love, just in case anyone needed the obvious stated for them 🤣
The Hyperion and the Dead Air Nomad L were both tested with a Savage Model 10 in .308 win with a 20 inch barrel....... Both of those are #1 and #2 for sound suppression, and both of them have been ran on precision rifles since they were on the market. The Dead Air Nomad 30 (1st gen) and Dead Air Nomad Ti were all shot on the same host for testing.
TBAC is currently living that "precision rifle" thing, but in today's manufacturing this isn't even a thing. They are all precision machined, they are all precision welded, they are all precision bored and most of the time have a positive impact on rifle accuracy. TBAC is living on legacy, and that is fine, I respect it, but better cans have better suppression, better features, and better price points, and perform the same accuracy wise. I like TBAC cans, nothing against them, but they are living on that "precision" thing a little too much in 2021. It's not the 90's anymore, it's all built by programmed machinery with capabilities well beyond what a human could do for 8-12 hrs a day. Not sure why you would think that a suppressor has anything to do with killing something down range, but it's your world, you live it. Any of these on this list will do the same thing a TBAC will do for accuracy. Also don't know where you got the info for the sidetracked comment about subsonic, you can sort and filter the table (It's all supersonic below).
Here are the links for the tested cans listed above if you are interested:

Here is the rankings based on supersonic centerfire ammo. I would take the OCL over TBAC for the money all day, every day.
1640746978333.png

Last edited:
Oh I read them all. Including the 22LR and 300 BLK sub reviews. 57 in total on the main page (there's a glitch in the Surefire links, you go to the same review twice and can't see the 24.8 overall score review). I'll admit I wished they tested the default brake on the Omega 300 for a direct comparison to the (outdated, like the Ultra 9) Harvester 300 instead of replacing with a flat cap. The brake is obviously ineffective as a brake but apparently has provable negatives to the shooter, which should be included in the review because they modified the Omega 300 from the factory configuration.

I'm saying that Pew's entire concept of "overall composite suppression rating" that they put on their rankings page is utter BS because it doesn't consider the most salient points of shooting - which can be boiled down to "hitting things hard enough to hurt them". Splitting hairs over the first jet peak and how many microseconds long it is is very interesting, but ultimately has zero bearing on anything considering they're admittedly ignoring any factors other than sound. And that's a conclusion drawn from their own reviews, because despite their own Point #4 being "accuracy influence on the host weapon" and the word "accuracy" itself only appears in the reviews for the CSG Hyperion, TBAC Ultra 9, Energetic Arms VOX S, and the SIG SRD762 Ti-QD.

Pew is not turning out to be a great appeal to authority.

The Ultra 9 was tested on the same rifle and still scored better than the DA Nomad -Ti and DA Nomad-30, so not really sure what your point is there? Seems like the TBAC legacy is still beating those two.

If you like yours, great. Nothing wrong with that. Just a weird flex to try to cut down Banish and TBAC using oddly specific, outdated data.

Last edited:
Oh I read them all. Including the 22LR and 300 BLK sub reviews. 57 in total on the main page. I'll admit I wished they tested the default brake on the Omega 300 for a direct comparison to the (outdated, like the Ultra 9) Harvester 300 instead of replacing with a flat cap. The brake is obviously ineffective as a brake but apparently has provable negatives to the shooter, which should be included in the review because they modified the Omega 300 from the factory configuration.

I'm saying that Pew's entire concept of "overall composite suppression rating" that they put on their rankings page is utter BS because it doesn't consider the most salient points of shooting - which can be boiled down to "hitting things hard enough to hurt them". Splitting hairs over the first jet peak and how many microseconds long it is is very interesting, but ultimately has zero bearing on anything considering they're admittedly ignoring any factors other than sound. And that's a conclusion drawn from their own reviews, because despite their own Point #4 being "accuracy influence on the host weapon" and the word "accuracy" itself only appears in the reviews for the CSG Hyperion, TBAC Ultra 9, Energetic Arms VOX S, and the SIG SRD762 Ti-QD.

Pew is not turning out to be a great appeal to authority.
I have never pulled anything other than sound and gas pressure performance from Jay's Reviews. That's what people in 2021 buy suppressors for, and it's what they target. Some people buy for flash suppression, but that's a limited number of people.
I still don't get why you think that a modern production suppressor will negatively impact accuracy. It is a moot point, the accuracy gain is measurable, but the limitations are always the shooter. Not sure what you expect someone to do to generate a scientifically measurable variable for that in the first place, but again, your world you live it. We can measure sound pressure, we can measure peaks, we can measure other variables. We can even measure them all through the same host.
We can't measure the human factor and doing a bench accuracy test of 50+ cans just to prove what we already know is just unrealistic. If you measure cans by being able to hit a target with a precision rifle, well then you just have a pile of cans with no discernable difference because they are all precision made with the best tolerances in history, and don't change much, and it's all dependent on load, barrel, and an entire list of other variables.
Not sure what makes you so salty towards collected data, but it's the best you get, you want something different, nothing is stopping you from doing it. His reviews are well written, and they start with solid collected data. His composite score is a summary of collected data.

Dude, walk with me for a second here - I think what you're not getting is that I'm objecting to the rampant generalizations you made in your statements. Let's look at this one in particular:
Someone said Banish and Thunder beast are at the top, not in 2021, and not in 2022 either.
You're making a declaration that isn't supported by your own cited source. The source you cited didn't review Banish at all. Banish literally isn't on the list of reviews you used to support your statement that Banish isn't as good as other cans. Even if I conceded TBAC's rating of 5 out of 18 by Pew as being meaningfully convincing then half your argument is still entirely unsupported. That makes it a bad argument.

I pulled up your source, looked at their data, and came to the conclusion based on his presentation his own data that it's pretty irrelevant to meaningful discussion because it ignores significant factors that are common to suppressor applications. The score is apparently agnostic of any considerations other than sound, and he rates very obviously different applications on the same scale. I get what he's trying to do in synthesizing a uniform metric that applies to super versus subsonic, pistol versus rifle, bolt versus direct impingement, but the scale and relativity of intermixing the results on the list looks bogus to me, even if you can sort it. I'm not "salty" for disagreeing with his interpretations - his composite score isn't an authority you can appeal to counterbalance my own interpretation of the data or my dismissal of his factor weightings.

I'm sorry that I'm not taking your arguments as seriously as you want me to, I'll admit I'm being dismissive because what I'm reading amounts to you jumping in, saying "y'all are wrong", making a poor cite that doesn't even support your statement, and then listing out generalizations and opinions like they're facts. All over something so highly subjective that it borderline defies quantification.

Dude, walk with me for a second here - I think what you're not getting is that I'm objecting to the rampant generalizations you made in your statements. Let's look at this one in particular:

You're making a declaration that isn't supported by your own cited source. The source you cited didn't review Banish at all. Banish literally isn't on the list of reviews you used to support your statement that Banish isn't as good as other cans. Even if I conceded TBAC's rating of 5 out of 18 by Pew as being meaningfully convincing then half your argument is still entirely unsupported. That makes it a bad argument.

I pulled up your source, looked at their data, and came to the conclusion based on his presentation his own data that it's pretty irrelevant to meaningful discussion because it ignores significant factors that are common to suppressor applications. The score is apparently agnostic of any considerations other than sound, and he rates very obviously different applications on the same scale. I get what he's trying to do in synthesizing a uniform metric that applies to super versus subsonic, pistol versus rifle, bolt versus direct impingement, but the scale and relativity of intermixing the results on the list looks bogus to me, even if you can sort it. I'm not "salty" for disagreeing with his interpretations - his composite score isn't an authority you can appeal to counterbalance my own interpretation of the data or my dismissal of his factor weightings.

I'm sorry that I'm not taking your arguments as seriously as you want me to, I'll admit I'm being dismissive because what I'm reading amounts to you jumping in, saying "y'all are wrong", making a poor cite that doesn't even support your statement, and then listing out generalizations and opinions like they're facts. All over something so highly subjective that it borderline defies quantification.
I think you have started out with the misunderstanding of my original comment.
I gave pew science as a measure if 1 or 2 metrics. What does the original post say? There are better cans available with better performance, better FEATURES, and better PRICE POINTS..... Jay only covers 1 of those attributes. I literally dropped that so people will have a well made source to use to compare sound data instead of numbers companies claim. Nobody else supplies that kind of information, so that's why it's posted.
I don't understand how you jump to his findings are irrelevant because his focus is sound and gas performance. It's what people want to know about suppressors. Again, he focuses on sound and gas management, don't go there looking for meltdown testing. Don't go looking for some kind of accuracy measurement that would be virtually impossible and also a useless test in 2021. They are all precision made instruments in this day and age. You wouldn't go to the car dealership and say "they told us how fast the car accelerates but, they didn't tell us how fast it stops so that information is useless".
As far as the banish goes, it's a given how it's going to perform, it's been compared to other cans, but it's not a shining star. Is it a great can? Yes, is it listed in the best? No. It's been around and had name changes, it's not anything special, it's claim to fame is "user serviceable" and "shipped to your door". The awards they win are always poised with the question "well who did you compare it to?". Only magazines are handing out awards to SC, and SC is the only MFG advertising in hunting magazines (That I have seen). I look at those cans as buying a Form 1 can that has the same internals, a tube, and threaded endcaps. You could put together a duplicate for a fraction of the cost. No welded construction is what you can do at home. If I'm going to spend that kind of cash on something it's because I can't do it myself at home.

Now for features...... both TBAC and Banish will limit you to attachment options. With TBAC it's their CB or it's DT. Banish is DT only. Banish gold at a whopping $1700 MSRP allows you to have the DT that Silencer Central uses. The implied warranty is for manufactures defects, and mentions nothing else. TBAC says "will replace or repair any product manufactured by TBAC for the duration of this lifetime warranty." I would purchase a TBAC, might be my next can, but a Banish I can build from purchased radial cups and tubes for less than $900.

Please don't use the source of Pew science as to what I base my comparison on. Most of the top cans are DT only, but there are a few that offer features that allow the use of any mounting system you like. There are a few that don't offer "whatever" warranties, there are a few that have a full lifetime warranty. There are a few that cost more than the Banish 30. Again, this is why my original comment states: "There are better performing cans with better features for less cost than both of those." It even says in the post "if you are interested in numbers check out Pew Science"..... It can't get any clearer than that, and you can't say Jay's numbers don't convey what he is testing and the results.
You use this source for sound and gas management, then use your features YOU like, and then look at the price and determine what is the best can YOU can afford. This is a post about being on a budget. TBAC is not what I would recommend on a budget, neither is Banish. If you want to know how your budget can stacks up against known standards, the data is there for you. Hopefully the Banish will end up on Jay's list somewhere and we will have it compared to a standard.
What is subjective about data gathering? What is subjective about someone doing more than the industry standard and putting it all together and sharing it for free with the industry? This is why people hate for absolutely no reason, you can't understand the method if you come to your conclusion. It's simple, industry runs their cans and says "best in the world sound suppression", but as soon as someone starts to implement standard testing procedures all of a sudden we end up here. Idk if it's because people's chosen brands don't out perform other brands or the results don't come back to as good as they hope. One thing is for sure people always hop up and hate on the man who is doing what nobody else will. He literally offers a summary of data as a composite score, just like making a score card. He reports what the scorecard says, and weighs each metric. I'd love to see someone such as yourself start another program just to compare data to what he gets. Then you can make your own scorecard and we can all criticize it.

Last edited:
There's a good reason that SOCOM units will take a Surefire over any other can: They don't fail, period. Pricey definitely, but their quality is better than anything else you can buy. If you want one that's a lifetime purchase, buy once, cry once, but you'll never regret buying the best.
Surefire's contract with SOCOM or any SPECOPS does not make them the best suppressor or not susceptible to failure.
SOCOM units chose it because of the low muzzle flash capability. Surefire is just as prone to failure as any other mfg, hang around a few boards enough and you will see failures from them just as often as other companies. I saw one last week where the end just bulged out, no baffle strike, nothing, it just bulged out and the can had to be destroyed (not reparable). They make great equipment, but it's still not immune to mass manufacturing. Just because SOCOM units chose 1 can doesn't mean they won't go to the lowest bidder next time around. Also doesn't mean it's the best option for someone not interested in doing SOCOM things either, or have a desire for flash suppression.
Agreed! Murphy does not discriminate.

Having worked on A-76 Cost Comparison and closely with Contracting Officers for nearly three decades, I have seen my share of government contract awards. Award contracts have a lot to do with acquisition officer/strategy, performance work statement, bid wars, and project officer (esp. at the 4-star level) has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm going to end this now. Once again you make sweeping generalizations and unsupported opinions presented as facts. Look at the data says you.... but it's a given how it's going to perform so you don't bear the burden of proof of your own argument? Then you say I hate a man because I disagreed with his interpretation of raw data? Bad faith arguments followed with an ad hominem attack on me.

Enjoy your Nomads.

Surefire's contract with SOCOM or any SPECOPS does not make them the best suppressor or not susceptible to failure.

Agreed! Murphy does not discriminate.

Having worked on A-76 Cost Comparison and closely with Contracting Officers for nearly three decades, I have seen my share of government contract awards. Award contracts have a lot to do with acquisition officer/strategy, performance work statement, bid wars, and project officer (esp. at the 4-star level) has a lot to do with it.
Just as an example to back this up, in 1985 Sig P226 flat out beat Beretta 92, yet US Armed Forces selected the Beretta as the sidearm!

I'm sorry, but I'm going to end this now. Once again you make sweeping generalizations and unsupported opinions presented as facts. Look at the data says you.... but it's a given how it's going to perform so you don't bear the burden of proof of your own argument? Then you say I hate a man because I disagreed with his interpretation of raw data? Bad faith arguments followed with an ad hominem attack on me.

Enjoy your Nomads.
It's a can with loose internal radial clipped baffles, known diameter, known exit diameter, known length and absolutely nothing different than you can build at home with purchased parts. It's likely that someone has the exact can without the name and can tell you how it performs. We already know what to expect from cans with certain characteristics. It's not like they have done something Innovative, it's been available for quite some time, and they have been compared over and over again. The form 1 world is always in competition with the form 4 world for performance. People want to know if you can easily build a can at home that sounds the same as a manufactured can, cost less, and has a ~30 day turn approval. The Banish is 100% the comparison tool, it's no different than already available F1 parts. Not saying it's bad or the design is crap, it just is what it is. It's a non welded tube with baffles loose inside and two screw in endcaps. People have been using that design in the F1 community for quite some time now, and people have collected this data.

Form 1 and roll your own. Wait time seems to be less than a month right now. My 3 stamps that I submitted Nov 7 came back on Dec 1 and Dec 8. My buddy just got his back in 17 days. My cans are titanium with stainless baffles. They work exceedingly well from both a suppression and accuracy standpoint. Depending on length, you can make a very effective suppressor that weighs 9-15oz including the muzzle brake.

Serious question here, gentlemen:

What's the value of a suppressor if the bullet is going supersonic?

I was at my son in law's house a couple of months ago, and he was shooting his .223 about 200 yards from where I was sitting. I could tell the muzzle blast was suppressed, but then I could hear the bullet breaking the sound barrier on it's way to the target. It seemed to me as if it was as loud as an unsuppressed shot.
Shoot a suppressed and unsuppressed host back to back... It's absurdly quieter. To the tune of 25-30ish decibels. That's the difference between hearing damage or not.

Capitol Armory guys tell me the Nomad Ti and the Nomad LT are in a different league than the TBAC Ultra 7. They sell both. I do not have personal experience to speak of. Just waiting on mine to show up. Might try the Hyperion on my 7 Allen Mag. Or the Hekate. Top tier stuff.

But like they say, almost any can these days will make you happy out in the field as opposed to unsuppressed. No point getting too bunched up over it. 🤠