Suggestions for Reloading Excellence?

MtPockets

With a nod to Les Voth, who wrote a very good article on shooting excellence in the December online issue of LRH, I'd like to ask what everyones' secrets are to Reloading Excellence?

What do you feel are the most important steps that need to be taken to make sure that you get every bit of accuracy out of your reloaded round?

Is there anything that you've learned from others that is a bit unusual but effective?

I'd like to include suggestions for testing of the loaded rounds, since that is a vital part of the reloading process, as well.

Thank you, in advance, for all the helpful suggestions!

Ron

With 3 plus decades at the reloading bench if there's any one thing that I've learned that's more important than everything else it's consistency.

Brass make, length, neck thickness, weight, powders, primers, bullets, seating depth and on and on and on it all boils down to being as consistent as possible yields the best results.

When you are doing everything the same with each and every round you eliminate a whole lot of problems that can otherwise drive you nuts.

good notes
Pay attention to lot numbers (bullets, powder, brass, primers) when the lot numbers change, so do the groups.

Re: Suggestions for Reloading Excellence?,

IMO, the load development process(design) is a prerequisite that defines reloading excellence. The requirement of a +1000 yard long range hunting is more demanding then even Benchrest competition. The variables and demands for the LRH rifle/load are far more. Establishing consistency in the process/components of the reload is the easiest part, once the load is designed. The "excellence" part,IMO, is a function of the basic design of the reload. I believe that this is where 90% of the experience and work resides. Establishing raw accuracy(precision), and ES, while the logical starting point, only represents a portion of the requirements of a LRH rifle. The factors of cold bore testing, temperature stability of the load, terminal ballistics and performance, and zero stability can make or break the the success of the critical opportunity of that B&C trophy. I have found that the only way to truly test and optimize for these factors is to subject the rifle to range of actual conditions, test, and optimize the load if required. My pet LRH rifle(Cooper 6.5x284) for the past seven years has undergone subtle but effective load refinements for the first two years before I felt it was where I wanted it, meeting the above conditions. While both my initial load and final load both produced .25MOA at 500 yards with <12FPS ES, my final load gave cold or warm bore precision, has held zero w/o adjustment for 5 seasons, and produces <.5 MOA accuracy at 1000 yards from 80F down to 20F. Most importantly the confidence in this rifle/load is very high and has increased my effective range in my hunting conditions.
Original load: 59gr Retumbo,215M, Lapua brass, 142 JLK, .002" shoulder full length resize. .292 neck dia.
Final load: 58gr Retumbo(Extreme Temp}, 210M, Lapua brass, 142 JLK, .292' neck size only.
My 300 WM and a few other LR rides have also undergone this type of evolution in load optimization.

-
-

Thank you all for the replies!

I began reloading 30 years ago when I was using a Ruger Redhawk for deer, woodchucks, and paper. I also bow and muzzleloader hunted at that time but really didn't get into centerfire rifles until I moved to Wyoming 10 years go.

I've picked up a couple of rifles and have been handloading for them, but always wonder if I'm getting the most out of my loads.

After reading your responses, I know there is more for me to do and improvements to be made.

Thanks again for the help!

Ron

There's two things that made a difference for me . Take detailed notes on EVERYTHING , and slow down. When I started reloading I was always in a hurry and quality suffered .

Personally, I have to try all of the variables to see for myself. Learning what does and does not truly make a difference is important. That means also having the tools to measure; a chronograph and a led sled help a lot. As much as I resisted against the led sled early on, at 100 yards on paper I'm just trying to measure everything besides my own abilities (that comes after load development). I got frustrated with mixed brass and bought new brass of one headstamp.

As previously stated, the goal (IMO as well) is consistency. I'd prefer to get the equipment & ammo down good then all I can blame is my own abilities :D.

IMO, the load development process(design) is a prerequisite that defines reloading excellence. The requirement of a +1000 yard long range hunting is more demanding then even Benchrest competition. The variables and demands for the LRH rifle/load are far more. Establishing consistency in the process/components of the reload is the easiest part, once the load is designed. The "excellence" part,IMO, is a function of the basic design of the reload. I believe that this is where 90% of the experience and work resides. Establishing raw accuracy(precision), and ES, while the logical starting point, only represents a portion of the requirements of a LRH rifle. The factors of cold bore testing, temperature stability of the load, terminal ballistics and performance, and zero stability can make or break the the success of the critical opportunity of that B&C trophy. I have found that the only way to truly test and optimize for these factors is to subject the rifle to range of actual conditions, test, and optimize the load if required. My pet LRH rifle(Cooper 6.5x284) for the past seven years has undergone subtle but effective load refinements for the first two years before I felt it was where I wanted it, meeting the above conditions. While both my initial load and final load both produced .25MOA at 500 yards with <12FPS ES, my final load gave cold or warm bore precision, has held zero w/o adjustment for 5 seasons, and produces <.5 MOA accuracy at 1000 yards from 80F down to 20F. Most importantly the confidence in this rifle/load is very high and has increased my effective range in my hunting conditions.
Original load: 59gr Retumbo,215M, Lapua brass, 142 JLK, .002" shoulder full length resize. .292 neck dia.
Final load: 58gr Retumbo(Extreme Temp}, 210M, Lapua brass, 142 JLK, .292' neck size only.
My 300 WM and a few other LR rides have also undergone this type of evolution in load optimization.

-
-

Greyfox; do you feel that the neck sizing only on the final load gave you better consistency?

Some great suggestions so far. These are some steps that seem to make significant improvements to my accuracy. Brass should consistently provide the same neck friction/tension and thus one of the main benefits of annealing or using newer/quality brass. I like to run my brass through a vibratory tumbler immediately prior to loading regardless of what other cleaning has been performed to help assure consistent neck cleaning/friction. Every effort to assure the bullet starts out straight, in the middle of the bore/throat will cut down on flyers (turn the necks and make certain the bullet is seated strait in the neck). I take detailed notes of what each change makes and only change one loading parameter at a time. I only load the number of rounds necessary for the current season since I will likely come up with minor improvements before the next season. I take the rifle in the condition in which it was dialed in so I don't clean the barrel prior to going on the hunt.

Greyfox; do you feel that the neck sizing only on the final load gave you better consistency?

Yes. With this particular rifle the ES is consistently improved from 10-15FPS to single digits, and average group size runs about .25MOA tighter. I neck size the brass until I feel anything more then a slight resistance closing the bolt. The FL sized rounds will be used for fouling, zero check, and short to mid range shooting and hunting. Once fire formed, I will again neck size them and use them for my serious LR work. I think the neck sizing has side benefits of prolonging brass life and certainly makes for an easier reloading process. At about 800 rounds through this rifle, I'm still on the original 100pc lot of Lapua brass. I'm hoping they will last as long as the barrel....

My typical 100 yard 3 shot group, neck sized.

Attachments

• IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 46
There's two things that made a difference for me . Take detailed notes on EVERYTHING , and slow down. When I started reloading I was always in a hurry and quality suffered .

The above fallowed religiously and as stated be absolutely 100% exactly consistent in your reloading are IMHO the 3 most important factors.

<>Maintain ABSOLUTE consisitentcy
<>Take detailed notes on everything you do from all reloading steps, shooting form, and label all targets
<>Take your time.

Working up loads for my smokeless muzzleloader of all firearms taught me the immense importance of consistentcy in your reloading steps and keeping crazy accurate and detailed notes, and labeling every target as which load each group was from.

Yes. With this particular rifle the ES is consistently improved from 10-15FPS to single digits, and average group size runs about .25MOA tighter. I neck size the brass until I feel anything more then a slight resistance closing the bolt. The FL sized rounds will be used for fouling, zero check, and short to mid range shooting and hunting. Once fire formed, I will again neck size them and use them for my serious LR work. I think the neck sizing has side benefits of prolonging brass life and certainly makes for an easier reloading process. At about 800 rounds through this rifle, I'm still on the original 100pc lot of Lapua brass. I'm hoping they will last as long as the barrel....

My typical 100 yard 3 shot group, neck sized.
Pretty right on from my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.