Reloading suggestions for .338 Lapua

Hey SidecarFlip, im seeing this on my brass after i chamber a round, whether or not i fire it.

7mag037.jpg

Now this isnt my actual brass but it looks exactly like this, any suggestios as to what it could be? Rough chamber?
Thanks for any help!

No, I bump my shoulders back just enough for the bolt to close like there isn't even a case in there.

I polished my chamber

I am using Hornady brass works great, before my bolt was stiff after firing the Rem 700 in 338 Lapua

Like others said if the bolt is stiff while loading set the shoulder back just a tad with the sizer die

I am new to the site and have not figured out how to post a new thread? Sorry for posting on this thread...I just purchased a 338 Lapua Ackley Improved (Knapp Custom Rifle). I have been shooting a 300 RUM. I love the Reloader 25 in my RUM, and would Like to load that powder in my 338LI. Does anyone have a loading recipe for the 338LI with 300 gr. SMK bullets? Thanks for any help.

Reloader 33 was made specially for the 338 Lapua with 300gr bullets.

Reloader 25 proved to be to fast burning with the 250's in the 338 lapua hence the new Reloader 26 with 250's.

I have used Reloader 33 in my Lapua.......but went back to H1000 because that is the powder I use in my 300 Win Mag with 230 OTM. So now I use H1000 both in my 338 Lapua and 300 Win Mag to keep it simple.

As for the 300 Rem Ultra Mag........suggest RL 25 or H1000 and Retumbo......with heavy bullets.
I like the Berger 230 OTM. I would think RL 33 would be to slow burning for the 300.

Last edited:
In reality, any slow burn rate propellant will do so long as one, it meters well and two, it fits in the casing and still provides ample velocity and kinetic energy to the pill down range, without overpressuring the case.......

I'm not advocating deviating from published load charts for the respective pill however.

I prefer H1000 for this load myself and I also use H1000 in the 300 Winchester Magnum sending Berger VLD's.

I spent 6 months of months and 500 rounds of bergers with many powders, RL33, RL 25, RL 22 Ramshot magnum( cant get any) broke down and loaded 90-92 gr of H 1000 91.5 is the winner lights out out to a grand, 18 shots finished load development.

I spent 6 months of months and 500 rounds of bergers with many powders, RL33, RL 25, RL 22 Ramshot magnum( cant get any) broke down and loaded 90-92 gr of H 1000 91.5 is the winner lights out out to a grand, 18 shots finished load development.

just curious what kind of velocities are you getting?

I'm shooting 300 SMK with 80g of H1000 and getting 2550 ft/sec but I have come to realize my gun is a little different than most. anything over that I start to get ejector marks. the guy I got the gun from had a few loads around 90 grains and it was putting them out just under 3000ft/sec

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.