reloading suggestions for 44 mag with barnes

SilentButDeadly

Does anyone have have any experience with blue dot and barnes xpb handgun bullets? I need loading data for my 44 mag for barnes 200 gr XPB copper bullet. Less then for a lead 200 gr bullet I know this for certain.

Does anyone have have any experience with blue dot and barnes xpb handgun bullets? I need loading data for my 44 mag for barnes 200 gr XPB copper bullet. Less then for a lead 200 gr bullet I know this for certain.

if you look at the 44 mag and special data with blue dot you will see that they are using 10.2 grains in a 44 special with a jacketed 240. they are also using 16.0 grains with a 200 grain speer in the 44mag data. Since what I see in the data I have leads me to believe the 200 barnes really acts like a 225 grain lead core offering pressure wise, I'd say the ten grain 44 special load would be an absolute bottom; I would also say that the sixteen grain 200 grain load data would likely be around ten percent hot.

I would run the pistol from 10 to 14.5 grains and see what happens. Take your time and use standard primers; blue dot does not need magnum primers.

Not that anyone cares.
25 years ago I was running blue dot for my 44mag and I had to run near max loads with a heavy crimp to get the powder to ignite and burn well.
I know nobody asked, but, I would suggest using 4227 for a 44mag heavy round.

What powder?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.