Question for 44 mag reloaders........

the 29 platform was designed long before SAMMI ever was thought about. By the way most manuals list loads that are well in 38K+ range of pressures. Now a T/C is good for about 40K max, and your telling me that the 629 is as strong as a Contender!! A Dan Wesson, Super Blackhawk, or a Redhawk maybe, but that's about it
gary
Anaconda, or so I'm told. :rolleyes:
It's not really as simple as strong enough, or not. Think more about how fast your going to wear it out. End shake, (cylinder play longitudinally) will be one of the first symptoms in a Model 29 fed a steady diet of full tilt .44 Mag loads.
S&W makes X frames for folks desirous of wrist abuse.

Anaconda, or so I'm told. :rolleyes:
It's not really as simple as strong enough, or not. Think more about how fast your going to wear it out. End shake, (cylinder play longitudinally) will be one of the first symptoms in a Model 29 fed a steady diet of full tilt .44 Mag loads.
S&W makes X frames for folks desirous of wrist abuse.

I think the first time the initials SAMMI were really used was in Shooting Times magazine way back when Milek and Skelton were still alive. That would have been in the early 1970's. The organization might have existed but nobody gave a crap about what they thought back then. They'd blown a gasket if they checked out the reloading data that Elmer Kieth gave out alone! Let alone Lee Jurras! Looking at the 1980 Hornaday manual, I can't find anything it involving SAMMI. Samething with the Hogdon manual published in 1992. Let alone the one Hornaday put in the early 1970's. The idea might have been there in 1926, but nobody ever paid any attention to it till the 1970's, and that's about the time they started handing out specs. But no matter what the N frame is nothing but a big K frame, and that's a 1930's design

I've never really looked over an X frame S&W much. Is it a double lockup like the Dan Wesson? A Dan Wesson will take 36,000 psi for awhile, but even then it's hard on them. And there's no way that any of these double action revolvers will handle loads designed for a T/C and live long.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.