Need Suggestions For Picking Reloading Equipment

I was about to pull the trigger on the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast but kept seeing the Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit for nearly the same money so for curiosity I just checked E-bay to see what the prices of the components, separately, that come with the kit are and when adding up the price of the components included you're getting the press nearly free so now I'm torn on just starting with that kit. Looks like they'd offer that kit for another $50 to $70 with the heavier cast press instead of the Challenger press.

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press And Bushings 50th Anniversary Kit 90050 FREE S&H 90050. Lee Reloading Presses and Press Accessories.

Are these components in this kit even worth having or would you guys recommend going ahead with a heavier press and buying different components than what's in this kit? Sorry for such amateur questions here but that's what I am at this point in time with reloading supplies LOL.

Please scratch my last post, price sells and I was getting caught up in that marketing technique for a moment. I don't want to buy cheap then end up replacing every item of that cheap kit down the road, I want to go ahead and by good stuff to begin with that I'll keep and enjoy for a long time.

As for the press: I'm looking at the Rock Chucker Supreme and the Lee Breech Lock Classic Cast. Your opinions on how they differ for the good or bad is appreciated. I know the Rock Chucker and Classic Cast were mentioned by most of you as good presses but the "Supreme" and "Breech Lock" designations on these weren't, I think these are just updated to use a quick change bushing for die change outs but not 100% sure of the advantage so any input would be helpful on that.

Powder scale: It sounds like an electronic is nice to have but any good reloading bench should still have a good reliable beam scale. Please give some feed back on this. I just looked quickly at the RCBS 505 and a 10-10 scale with great reviews yet not that many reviews on them. I like quick but don't want to sacrafice reliability and accuracy for it so probably a good quality beam scale would be my best first purchase.

Powder measure: I have no ideal, any feed back would be helpful here, something precise, repeatable, durable and user friendly.

The quick-change bushings are a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

If the Rockchucker does not require bushings it is a better choice than the Lee Breech Lock Classic that does require bushings.

If the standard Lee Classic Cast press (w/o) bushings is on the list, it is a better choice than the Rockchucker.

If the Lee Classic Turret is on the consideration list I recommend it over any other press.

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life ...
never make a pretty woman your wife ...
so from my personal point of view ...
get an ugly girl to marry you ...
and get one each ... Lee Classic Single Stage and Lee Classic Turret.

I put my reloading equipment together buying individual items instead of a kit. Lots of reloading equipment manufacturers out there and they all make something better than their competition. I got exactly what I wanted and if something didn't work out I sold it and bought something else. It took me a bit longer to get it all together but I like my tools and there is not a single thing on my bench that sits there as a bench queen.

I use my scale for load development with the Don Newberry Optimal Charge Weight method and then switch to Dipper Cups. Some are custom made cups but most are from the Lee set. A scale is one thing you don't want to cheap out on. My scale is the RCBS dial type balance beam made by Ohaus for RCBS. They quit making it years ago, I got lucky and found one on eBay.

Powder measures are great if you take the time to learn its quirks to get it to operate correctly. I have the Redding 3BR. Great product and I recommend it if you plan on doing volume rifle reloading for cartridges with a medium to large case.

The hand tools you select/use for case prep will define your reloading technique. Buy durable stuff.

I like the Lee Case Length Gage and the Lee 3-Jaw Chuck for case trimming. I have gages for all 7 cartridges I load for. The chuck will fit in a drill or you can use it by hand. I have a short 1/4" nut driver I use with the chuck if trimming by hand.

I like the Lyman large deburring tool, easy on the hands.

I like the RCBS Bench Mount Primer, the one that does one at a time, for priming cases. I also have the RCBS hand held priming tool. Both are great. I'm not a big fan of priming on the press.

I like the EJS primer pocket uniformers and primer hole deburring tools.

I like the Baby Crockogator primer pocket cleaner tool.

I like the Lyman model 2200 brass cleaner with walnut medium.

It's all a matter of personal choice. Some will not like my choices and recommend something else. You have to figure out your style and technique to see what works best for you.

Thanks Flashhole, that's the type info I'm looking and also want to avoid those "Bench Queens" LOL.

Can you give me a little insite about the reason these new single stage presses are using the quick change bushing and why you would prefer one without it.

I feel I'm getting worrysome here on this hunting site asking so much about reloading. I usually just read alot to get the info I'm looking but I don't get on-line much other than at work as I work long crazy hours and they block just about every website that has anything to do with firearms so I'm very limited to the info I can see here from work. I'm on the computer so much at work till I hate to see one when I get home, rather be reloading or even better gun)

The bushings facilitate quick die change and require a bushing adapter that goes in the press. It makes marketing sense that if you make reloading equipment you can make another thing the consumer can buy ... whether there is any utility value in it or not doesn't matter. If someone will pay money for something, someone else will sell it.

There are two ways to look at the quick change bushings:
1) it adds slop and misalignment (vertical, horizontal and angular) that can hurt accuracy and repeatability.
2) it adds slop that can help the die be self-aligning to the case/shell holder/ram and that helps accuracy.
I'm in camp 1. Others may argue against me but I've used both systems and have my own opinion.

It is not a big deal to change out a die in a single stage press, I went the route of the bushings several years ago and decided I didn't like the results so I bundled them all up and sold them. I only have one handgun and the rest of what I load are rifles. I get better accuracy and less runout without the bushings or I wouldn't have sold them.

On the subject of runout ... another good tool to have is a runout gage. I have the Forsters tool and use it to find inaccuracies in my reloading steps that introduce runout. Then I modify my reloading step to eliminate the runout.

The bushings facilitate quick die change and require a bushing adapter that goes in the press. It makes marketing sense that if you make reloading equipment you can make another thing the consumer can buy ... whether there is any utility value in it or not doesn't matter. If someone will pay money for something, someone else will sell it.

There are two ways to look at the quick change bushings:
1) it adds slop and misalignment (vertical, horizontal and angular) that can hurt accuracy and repeatability.
2) it adds slop that can help the die be self-aligning to the case/shell holder/ram and that helps accuracy.
I'm in camp 1. Others may argue against me but I've used both systems and have my own opinion.

It is not a big deal to change out a die in a single stage press, I went the route of the bushings several years ago and decided I didn't like the results so I bundled them all up and sold them. I only have one handgun and the rest of what I load are rifles. I get better accuracy and less runout without the bushings or I wouldn't have sold them.

On the subject of runout ... another good tool to have is a runout gage. I have the Forsters tool and use it to find inaccuracies in my reloading steps that introduce runout. Then I modify my reloading step to eliminate the runout.
That makes sense with the bushings, good thing to think about.

You mentioned the Lee Classic Turret press as one of your favorites. How well can you reload rifle ammo on this press? Is it about as good as a single stage as far as alignment, rigidity and such?

if you got to have the snap in die feature, then look at Forster and forget the rest. But if threaded dies will do everything, then most any will work well. If cases are big, then your looking for power and less flex. The threaded area on a die will flex under pressure, otherwise you would not be able to thread the die into the frame. A .88-14 thread will have at least .0075" clearance just to work. ( Federal standard for a .88-14 TPI thread is 69% thread contact) That thread will move under extreme pressure, and where it moves is anybody's guess. But the bayonet system (lock & load, and others) will be even worse.

The above are one good reason a solid setup like a Wilson are always better. All cast iron framed, "O style" presses are pretty much similar. All have the same pluses and minuses. The one major advantage of the tread system is that the jam nut will pull the male thread of the die into better contact, and help fight the thread flex issue. The only problem there is having to tweak the die adjustment a couple times. Still we all have to do that, so it's a given.
gary

I load 45-70, 223 Rem and 40 S&W on my Lee Classic Turret press on a regular basis and get great results. I used to also load 30-30, 243 Win and 357 magnum on the turret press but sold those guns.

Just by choice I load 7mm Rem Mag, 25-06 and 221 Fireball on the single stage presses but the Classic Turret can do those too.

One thing about the Classic Turret I like, I can use the Lee Powder Through Expander dies and the Lee funnel fits in the top of the die. It makes it real easy to charge a case using a dipper cup and you don't have to pull the case out of the press to charge it.

I'm not a fan of the automatic powder dispensers and don't use them on any cartridge I load.

One thing I do not recommend using the Classic Turret for is re-forming cases. The Single Stage press works best for that operation. I form 221 from 223 and 25-06 from 30-06.

I load 45-70, 223 Rem and 40 S&W on my Lee Classic Turret press on a regular basis and get great results. I used to also load 30-30, 243 Win and 357 magnum on the turret press but sold those guns.

Just by choice I load 7mm Rem Mag, 25-06 and 221 Fireball on the single stage presses but the Classic Turret can do those too.

One thing about the Classic Turret I like, I can use the Lee Powder Through Expander dies and the Lee funnel fits in the top of the die. It makes it real easy to charge a case using a dipper cup and you don't have to pull the case out of the press to charge it.

I'm not a fan of the automatic powder dispensers and don't use them on any cartridge I load.

One thing I do not recommend using the Classic Turret for is re-forming cases. The Single Stage press works best for that operation. I form 221 from 223 and 25-06 from 30-06.
Thanks for that info.

Thanks to all who have replied, I've got a lot better understanding now of the benefits of different type presses and to avoid the quick removeable bushing type. Since I'm mostly going after accurate rifle loads it sounds like a good single stage is a must have for that and a simple starting point so now just the choice of which, I'll probably go with either the Lee Classic Cast or the Rock Chucker that was mentioned by most everyone so I don't think I'd go wrong with either of those. I wish I could pull the handle on a few rounds from each press before choosing but I don't know of any place to test drive reloading presses LOL.

I always thought those little plastic cups that came with Lee die sets were for putting batter on a cookie sheet to make very small cookies......:)

I see no ther use for them.....

Cute but far as I'm concerned, worthless.

Never been a fan of turrett presses with 'automatic' powder dispensers simply because of metering inaccuracies with different shapes of extruded powders. I see nothing automatic about non-uniform powder dispensing.

This place has really good prices. I've used them several times. You can get on their notification list when their inventory is replenished with an item you are interested in.

https://fsreloading.com/

I think you will always find a need for a single stage press not matter what else you add to the bench.

Here's a pic of my bench. All the presses have the bore down the center of the ram for spent primers. It is a very tidy way to decap cases as spent primers don't go all over the place.

Good luck with your purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.