Suggestions before I buy some reloading equipment?

I would go with a good solid steel press like the rockchucker. As you advance you might start forming cases etc and will need something stronger than the lees.

Google "Shooters Corner" once you have your list and call Bob White there. He has tons oh high quality reloading equipment for sale and can save you some money and maybe upgrade you at the same time.

Dang! Lots of great suggestions! I'm glad I decided to post the question and ask you guys. I'm going to look into everything you guys suggested.

I'll be reloading mostly my own once fired brass that I have been saving.

Currently I'll be reloading for 30-06 (x3), 270, 303 British, and 223 match stuff. Although I have a couple donor actions that will most likely get turned into Wildcats of some kind, and hence my restored interest in reloading. But I've been wanting to for a while anyways.

I do have some digital calipers already that I had from a different DIY project. But I did forget to list a case trimmer.

I'm pretty open to who's dies and what press I use. From what I gather so far, most dies and presses are interchangeable?

I like to purchase things with good value. I don't need the "best name" manufactures if someone else does just as good of a job for the same money. At the same time, I'm not broke and I would rather buy good tools to begin with.

I'll throw one other curve ball in here... I also plan to get a progressive press eventually as I have some pistols and a really fun pistol caliber carbine that can go through ammo faster than anything I've ever seen. Knowing that I will eventually get a progressive press also, would that change any considerations on the Press, Dies, equipment?

Thanks again everyone! Sincerely appreciate the feedback and I'm looking into all suggestions. :)
If money is no object, I would look in to a Forester CO-AX. Or better yet just call forester and get their catalog. As far as a progressive, Hornady, Dillon and Lee make them. Dillon seems to be the best, then Hornady, my neighbor has the Lee, it took some polishing to get it to run smooth. But once we did that, it spits out ammo fast.

Dang! Lots of great suggestions! I'm glad I decided to post the question and ask you guys. I'm going to look into everything you guys suggested.

I'll be reloading mostly my own once fired brass that I have been saving.

Currently I'll be reloading for 30-06 (x3), 270, 303 British, and 223 match stuff. Although I have a couple donor actions that will most likely get turned into Wildcats of some kind, and hence my restored interest in reloading. But I've been wanting to for a while anyways.

I do have some digital calipers already that I had from a different DIY project. But I did forget to list a case trimmer.

I'm pretty open to who's dies and what press I use. From what I gather so far, most dies and presses are interchangeable?

I like to purchase things with good value. I don't need the "best name" manufactures if someone else does just as good of a job for the same money. At the same time, I'm not broke and I would rather buy good tools to begin with.

I'll throw one other curve ball in here... I also plan to get a progressive press eventually as I have some pistols and a really fun pistol caliber carbine that can go through ammo faster than anything I've ever seen. Knowing that I will eventually get a progressive press also, would that change any considerations on the Press, Dies, equipment?

Thanks again everyone! Sincerely appreciate the feedback and I'm looking into all suggestions. :)

You could start with a turret press like Lee makes. It would do both single and multiple loadings. Plus you could put 30-06 dies in the turret for one caliber then put 223 in a different turret so that all you have to do is change turrets.

I would go with a good solid steel press like the rockchucker. As you advance you might start forming cases etc and will need something stronger than the lees.

Google "Shooters Corner" once you have your list and call Bob White there. He has tons oh high quality reloading equipment for sale and can save you some money and maybe upgrade you at the same time.
A lee classic cast is as strong or stronger than a rock chucker and 50 bucks cheaper . He chose the lee challenger which is a small press but it will do the job he would like.

I have been loading for 40 years this fall.

I have a lot of different presses etc.

I would say that a electronic scale is fine but I would still invest in a balance beam scale but not the Lee for a primary scale.

Mine is an Ohaus 505 and you will also recognize them as RCBS.

The problem I have with the E scales is too many environmental factors will mess with them ..... such as flourescent lights, cold drafts ...... slight breezes ....... they are just too fickle for me.

I own them ...... two exactly but when I am running rounds ...... I go old school (balance beam).

For case prep I would use a VLD inside debur tool. Mine is a Lyman ..... there are probably other brands as well?

Since you are thinking about a progressive press later on ....... a single stage would do fine and be a good starter press as well.

The RCBS Rock Chucker is the single stage that all other single stages are judged by .... but the Lee Cast Classic single stage bows to none ....... and is actually stronger. If you ever decided to swage jacketed bullets the Lee would be a better choice. It even edges out such icons as Redding. I own a Redding Boss and was not too happy when I learned of it's weak points .... LOL!

The Lee Classic Turret is also a very good choice ..... no swaging though. I have one and it's not going anywhere and that's even though I also have a LNL AP (progressive).

For powder measures, I own three ......... a RCBS universal, a Lee Perfect and Hornady's LNL. I would say none are "junk" nor are any of them infalible! I use my RCBS about three to one against the other measures .. but I want the Lee Perfect for handling hard to measure powders .... heavy stick powders go through it better and then those charges are trickled up. The RCBS or the Hornady LNL are needed at the very minimum for fine easy to leak and easy to measure powders.

Take it from me, one measure does not cover all the bases.

You can spend a lot of money all at once, but I prefer to go easy but buy quality when ever there is a choice.

When someone tells you that this or that tool is uncategorically "junk" ....... don't buy it easily. I have found that all tools have niches and few are junk.

May your journey you are about to embark upon be fruitful and enjoyable!

Best regards

Three 44s

I wanted to thank everyone again for their suggestions. It gave me a lot of food for thought.

Well I ended up going with the Lee Classic single stage. What did you mean by "swaging" jacketed bullets?

Lee reloading dies. 223 and 30-06 to start.
223 - Amazon.com : Lee Precision Pacesetter .223 Dies (Red) : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
Picked these ones because I read that for semi auto I'll need to full length resize every time so I didn't need the neck resizer.

30-06 - Amazon.com : Lee Precision Reloading 30/06 Ultimate Rifle Die Set : Sports & Outdoors
Picked these because I have 2 bolt guns and a semi-auto 30-06 to reload for.

I also got the Hornady Lock N Load conversion kit and some spare bushings.
Amazon.com : Hornady 44099 Lock N Load Conversion Kit : Gunsmithing Tools And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com : Hornady Lock N Load Die Bushing 10 Pack : Sports & Outdoors

From everything I've researched I'm fairly confident that the Hornady stuff will work in this press with the conversion kit.

The only thing I got that was a "nice" to have and not a "got" to have in my opinion is this: Amazon.com : Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep Center System : Sports & Outdoors

I'm excited to get it all here. I'll try to go to Lowes this weekend to pick up some materials to build a bench to mount everything on.

Hazmat fees are a killer trying to order Primers or Powder online. I'm a little worried that people have said buying powder locally has become scarce. Is this still the case of has supply caught back up with demand?

Thanks!

You got some nice stuff. Swaging is pressing one size to make another. If you dont plan on making your own bullets don't worry about it.

The Hazmat fees are one time. So it's around $17-30 bucks deoe6on where you buy online. So if you buy powder and primers you would only pay the fee once. So you can buy 8lb of powder and 10000 primers and still pay the same fee. When you do decide to stick with a powder buy 8lbs of it. It comes to $20 a pound instead of $30 for 1lb at a time. Check around for primers. I luckily found federal 215 primers online a month ago for 30 bucks per 1000. Everyone that owns them wants $60 or more. Price gouging.
Anyway good luck

If you have a store called Harbor Freight near you, they have nice work benches that work well for reloading. I picked one up for $80, including a 20% discount that you can get online. Could save you time and money compared to building your own.

You got some nice stuff. Swaging is pressing one size to make another. If you dont plan on making your own bullets don't worry about it.

The Hazmat fees are one time. So it's around $17-30 bucks deoe6on where you buy online. So if you buy powder and primers you would only pay the fee once. So you can buy 8lb of powder and 10000 primers and still pay the same fee. When you do decide to stick with a powder buy 8lbs of it. It comes to $20 a pound instead of $30 for 1lb at a time. Check around for primers. I luckily found federal 215 primers online a month ago for 30 bucks per 1000. Everyone that owns them wants $60 or more. Price gouging.
Anyway good luck

I do plan on changing one of my 30-06's into a wildcat using the 6.5 projectiles soon. So I could "swag" probably using 25-06 brass and then fireform correct? (Not asking specifically if I could use 25-06 brass. More asking if I am using the nomenclature correct?)

Good advice on the Hazmat. Maybe I'll experiment with some 1lb jugs of powder I can find locally until I find one I like, then order 8lbs online.

If you have a store called Harbor Freight near you, they have nice work benches that work well for reloading. I picked one up for $80, including a 20% discount that you can get online. Could save you time and money compared to building your own.

I have a Harbor Freight right down the road. Can you able to send me the link to the one you're talking about? I would definitely apprecaite it.

Also, do you find it is sturdy enough? I watched my dad reload enough when I was a kid to know that if your bench isn't secure, everything starts rocking pretty good. Thanks!

Item #60723. Very sturdy, the main shelf is particle board, so I used another piece of wood underneath to secure my press. They May have one out so you can get an idea if that will work for you. With the 3 shelves it works well for my needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts