Reloading Equipment

I started with a used Hornady progressive press, worked but it was a little finicky, didn't always seat primers well.

Bought a RCBS rock chucker when I began precision rifle loading, it works well without breaking the bank.

Upgraded to a Dillon 650 (now 750) for loading pistol rounds and wow what a difference. Smooth and fast. You will NOT enjoy loading pistol rounds on a single stage press, tedious and time consuming. I also reload my .308 plinking rounds on the Dillon.

You have plenty of time to start the process, because it may be a while before primers start becoming available at less than scalper prices. Powder, brass and bullets are available if your flexible, but primers are unicorn teeth.

For pistol dies get the lee dies with the factory crimp die, reason being when you run the rounds thru the crimp die they are guaranteed to run thru your pistol.

On the Lee Turret. I've loaded at least 1000 on it 38, 45, 460, 450 BM, 223, 308 w/o any issues. In "everyday" rifles, all shot MOA or better. I also have 3 Redding Turrets that are a bit more precise but for hunting and banging steel, it's a non-event. For ultimate precesion you buy Wilson--- end of story. My 6.5 CM HB Tikka shoots better groups w/Wilson than Redding dies in the Redding press. 1/20" inch better which means nothing when afield.

I have set up tool heads for 308, 30-06 and 223 for my 550's. So far only lead bullet loads have been run on the progressives. I'm slow but think that precision has more to do with dies than the press. I had used a Co-Ax press for many years never finding that state of ecstasy currently reported on the net.

I have 2 presses. A single stage RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme for roading my .338 LM and a Hornady Progressive AP Lock and Load for my 5.56, .30-06, .308, 9mm, and .45ACP.

With these two presses, there isn't much I can't reload should I choose to add more calibers.

I got into reloading about a year after Sandy Hook. The panic buying had pretty much subsided, some supplies were still sparse but at least available on B/O with a few weeks wait I think for my 9mm dies if I recall correctly.

Right now... probably THE WORST time to start reloading. Projectiles are mostly on B/O at best. Shells can be had. Primers seem to be harder to find than projectiles. Reloading presses... I see them here and there. Dies I've seen about 50% of the places I've gone into. Powder almost non-existent.

All that said, it's a worthwhile hobby. I reccommend it highly especially if you shoot a lot. Reloading is the only reason I can afford to shoot.

My advise FWIW; buy what you can, when you can and eventually you'll have everything you need. 😁

Looking for some advice. I have been shooting since I was old enough to hold a gun however I have never done any reloading other than helping a few buddies. My question is if you had the following calibers and were starting new reloading with the objective of being able to reload the following rounds at a reasonable speed (ie wife isn't going to let me spend an entire weekend day reloading) once experienced what equipment would you buy? I don't shoot competively, my objective is more reloading for reasonable distance (less than 400 yards max) at reasonable speed for hunting and range rounds. Not looking to spend a fortune but assume money is not a serious limitation.

Rifle
50 BMG
338 LM
458 SOCOM

Pistol
10 mm
45 Auto
357 SIG
9 mm
38 Special

Pistol collection will never expand beyond this. Rifle wise I may end up with 30-06, 25-06, 300 Blackout, 300WM.
I load all of these except the 50 and 338LM. Get yourself a Dillon 550 and Big press for those two rifle calibers. All the others are perfectly fine on the 550. You can get as crazy as you like but a simple tool head change and you are off and running again with a different cartridge. You will quickly run out of patience loading pistol on a single stage but you can load plenty accurate on a 550, even run it as a turret/single stage if you like. Don't let the stick powders scare you either. They make a powder die to drop charges from a scale or another powder dispenser if you want to weight every charge. Super versatile from 1000's of 9mm to a handful of match rifle ammo, no problem at all.
Good luck and be safe

I use 550's for all my handgun calibers. Previous post by jfloyd cover the Dillons very well. A Rockchucker is set up here. This press is used for case prep and cartridge forming. To me, having a strong single stage press is one of the basics. I run two 550's feeling that those presses are unbeatable. For the other world of heavy duty sizing around here there is a strong preference for Rock Chucker like presses. Loading some longer than ordinary rounds can be awkward on my old press. Right, Dillon and a big press. I buy these these things second hand if possible.

I load up to 300 win on a 550 progressive
But I don't load for a 50 bmg I would check out the area 419 zero press it will load 50 bmg its a redding press on steroids its not a progressive press but does have a moving turret so once you have the dies set they won't need to be moved again and you can get more turrets to load all your calibers it utilizes a pull stud for the turrets so it is repeatable when you change out . I have one on order so when they actually ship i will try to get a review up for the money I think the cry once motto is applicable plus they added an arca mount to the back so you could probably mount it to a tripod and load at the range if you can pick it up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts