I need help choosing reloading equipment

The Guide

Hello all,

Now that I have finally found some powder and such, I can start buying a press and all of the associated loading equipment. What I am looking for is the the best press kit to buy and then the additional items I will need to buy that doesn't come with the kit. I want to do it right the first time.

I will be loading for the following rounds:

243 Win
263 Win Mag
270 Win
7mm-08 Rem
308 Win
300 Win Mag
338 Win Mag
338 AX (hope to have it for this hunting season if the parts come in)

I have always been a factory round guy but since there are no factory rounds for the 338 AX I have to learn to roll my own. I'm a machinist and Mill Wright by trade so I know I can figure things out. I just need some help getting the right/best tools for the job. I'll spend good money on the tools buy I don't want to have to buy them twice (cheap then have then fail and have to buy good ones).

I have been looking at this press kit...

RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Deluxe Reloading Kit

What else would I need or should I get instead?

Thanks guys,

Jay

The search feature on this site (upper right corner of your screen) when reading this reply will take you many, many threads where all of your questions and concerns have been discussed at great length.

Befor starting yet another thread, I suggest you use the SEARCH feature.

I'd also suggest before buying any hardware to get RELOADING MANUALS from the respective manufacturers of bullets you want to load. Every manual will contain step by step instruction for reloading.

The search feature on this site (upper right corner of your screen) when reading this reply will take you many, many threads where all of your questions and concerns have been discussed at great length.

Befor starting yet another thread, I suggest you use the SEARCH feature.

I'd also suggest before buying any hardware to get RELOADING MANUALS from the respective manufacturers of bullets you want to load. Every manual will contain step by step instruction for reloading.

I have the Hornady manual (it's at home and I'm at work 600 miles away and all they want to do is peddle their own brand of gear), can't find a Berger manual in any stores (I'll have to order one when I get some Berger bullets to load), and I have used the search function (use it almost daily to look up thing on this great website as there is so much information to sort through) to look this up. I don't want anybody to hold my hand while I actuate the press, I just want to know what the best kit and components are.

Sorry my posting a question has been a burden to the forum. I'll go back to my cave.

Jay

I recommend the Wilson seating dies. Dont waste your time with threaded seating dies. They do not have stems for VLD bullets or even High BC bullets like the Nosler Accubond or Hornady bonded bullets. To test this take out the seating stem and turn it upside down. Place a bullet by the tip into the seating stem and see where it touches. Most threaded dies will push directly down on the point when the bullet is seated. Not the best for accuracy. You will need an Arbor press for the Wilson dies but you may already have one. I was given a heavy duty Arbor press but also have a K&M press that will fit in my travel box. Wilson makes blank seating dies that can be reamed with the same reamer that your chamber is making them the tightest fitting seating dies available. You can get a Micrometer top through Sinclair if you want. I have two micrometer tops but I also have a several standard stems and tops for the same caliber. I one stem and top tuned for each bullet that I shoot in that caliber. I write on the top wtith a Sharpie. I mark the "touching the lands" point with the sharpie on the top of the seating die. Then you can twist off from that or into the lands using the stem thread pitch to calibrate your adjustment. Sinclair also has calibrated shims for Wilson stems for changing your seating depth.

If you want to use threaded size dies than the Forster or Redding "bushing" dies are the most useful. Redding offers bushing dies that will size the neck only or dies that will size the neck and the base of the case. Redding gives you the option of not using the button for stretching the neck and pulling the neck to the side. I haven't used a size die stem button in years to destroy my case neck alignment. If you don't believe me measure the neck runout with and without the size die button on loaded rounds. The Forster dies are available in a much more limited selection of calibers but I have sets for .204 Ruger and 6.5-284 Norma and I do use them.

The Wilson neck size dies were the model for the Redding bushing dies. Wilson size dies will not push back shoulders or size case bodies but they are very effective. It is not a coincidence that Wilson bushing fit Redding and Forster threaded bushing dies.

The most accurate ammunition made is made with Wilson dies. If you do not believe me, attend a 600 yard or 1000 yard benchrest match and ask the participants what they use.

So use Wilson seating dies. They can be made with your chamber reamer. Redding, Forster or Wilson "Bushing" size dies.

My favorite press is a Forster "Bonanza" Coax. Talk to others that own these presses. You will find that they are very well thought of.

Attachments

• P1020155.jpg
    P1020155.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 98
It's not a burden, it's just that there is already volumes of good input on many threads already on the forum about what you request.

Far as a specific manufacturer tooting their own equipment, thats to be expected in any reloading manual. You look past that (ignore) the sales hype and read the rest. You'll need the manuals anyway for whatever pill you choose and every manufacturer has their reloading data on line, it accompanies their respective websites.

I usually pass over threads like yours without replying because it tends to ruffle peoples feathers.

I believe in searching forums for answers first, but thats me.

I'll remove my subscripton from this thread and you can continue on unabated.:)

I have the Hornady manual (it's at home and I'm at work 600 miles away and all they want to do is peddle their own brand of gear), can't find a Berger manual in any stores (I'll have to order one when I get some Berger bullets to load), and I have used the search function (use it almost daily to look up thing on this great website as there is so much information to sort through) to look this up. I don't want anybody to hold my hand while I actuate the press, I just want to know what the best kit and components are.

Sorry my posting a question has been a burden to the forum. I'll go back to my cave.

Jay

Hey Jay,

This is probably the best forum that you will ever be a member of... period. There are absolute experts here who have 'been there, done that, made the mistake, fixed it and shared the info'. The members here will go out of their way to explain, demonstrate, and even illustrate the solution to any and all conundrums encountered.

That being said, there is an unfathomable wealth of knowledge and information in the archives. We all refer to them and it's very easy to do. At the very top of every page, in the upper right hand corner is a search feature where you can access the archives. Being referred to the archives should in no way be considered as a slight, but rather as a good beginning reference.

I can't imagine any member of this forum who considers it a 'burden' to assist any member here, regardless of their experience level. Advice and assistance comes in all shapes and formats, one only has to be cognizant enough to perceive it when it is offered and gracious enough to thank those willing to help and coax you 'out of your cave'.

None of us were born knowing all about this wonderful sport. We all sought out those we considered to be experts and learned at the knee of the masters, graciously and humbly.

Always at your service, and always grateful for those masters who are here for us 'padiwans'.

DocB

I have been flustrated by the loading data in the manuals and online for the 6.5-284. It it very similar to the 6.5-06 but the data from the Hornady manual is loaded much lower than the 6.5-06 a page away. The online Hodgdon data for 6.5-284 shows no pressure data. It is the only cartridge for which load data does not include pressures. Nosler does not have a clue which powders are suitable. Evidently they do not have Quickload.

Quickload is helpful for selecting candidate powders. The new Berger data for 6.5-284 is the best I have seen. I have tried and gotten similar velocities with their recipes. If you send me your e-mail I will send you data of from 8 powders, the Berger data and Vihtavuori.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.