Sub caliber tumbling media?

comfisherman

Converted to stainless media some time ago, but went with a media one of my blasting companies had on hand instead of pins. It works amazing but can log jam and ruin brass under .243 in opening. Getting ready to load a bunch of .204 and 17 some of which is pretty dirty brass. It's been a while since I've cleaned 204 and remember spending way to much time shaking media out of brass.

Is it worth ordering pins? Or some other media?

My vibratory tumbler ran out of smoke, and stainless took over 90% of its role. Maybe ultrasonic is worth revisiting, they look like better units than my early adopted one was.

What do you 20 and 17 caliber shooters use?

I use stainless chips such as these: https://www.ammobrass.com/product-page/stainless-steel-cleaning-media-chips-for-wet-tumblers
They don't get stuck and clean the primer pockets better.
Tell me Raz, are these new chips as magnetic as the pins?

I switched to sunshine media and it cleans better and faster. I only tumble range brass for 20mins to half hour. It doesn't get stuck in cases but it's not as magnetic…so I can't pick them out of the dirty water with my FA magnet. I have to filter and strain them out of the dirty water. It also makes a bigger mess that's harder to clean up.

I'm not sure if they're magnetic or not. I run water into the tumbler and I dump the chips out of the brass while it's still in the tumbler. The chips slide out better when they're under water. Then I rinse the brass and set out to dry. When all the brass is out, I pour the majority of the water out of the tumbler. Put the lid on until next time. No need to ever dump the chips out.

Converted to stainless media some time ago, but went with a media one of my blasting companies had on hand instead of pins. It works amazing but can log jam and ruin brass under .243 in opening. Getting ready to load a bunch of .204 and 17 some of which is pretty dirty brass. It's been a while since I've cleaned 204 and remember spending way to much time shaking media out of brass.

Is it worth ordering pins? Or some other media?

My vibratory tumbler ran out of smoke, and stainless took over 90% of its role. Maybe ultrasonic is worth revisiting, they look like better units than my early adopted one was.

What do you 20 and 17 caliber shooters use?
The secret to wet tumbling no matter what kind of media you are using is time. I don't care how dirty your brass is, if you have the rolling barrel type tumbler 15-25 minutes is probably going to be enough.

Check it, and if it needs a bit more go ahead and run it another five or ten.

Pins are definitely the way to go.

Now I'll throw you for a big loop.

Dump all your media out and just use whatever cleaning solution/water mix you've already been using and see where that gets you. It won't be polished up like new but all of the carbon and gunk should be gone.

If you want shiny then run it through a dry tumbler afterwards.

I use about a teaspoon of dawn and a couple of ounces of Purple Power degreaser along with a sprinkle of lemi shine.

Over tumbling with the steel media will eat your brass at warp speed so be careful.

comfisherman ,

You sir , are correct .
The magic ingredient that powers ALL things mechanical , whether they be electric motors , internal combustion engines , or electronic computer chips is SMOKE .

When you LET THE SMOKE OUT , they all CEASE TO WORK .

I learned this through 50+ years as an automotive mechanic .

DMP25-06

My stainless steel chips are magnetic and I wet tumble with TRC 7-11 industrial cleaner with a tablespoon of lemi shine. They look like new and primer pockets are clean.

I use simple green and lemon juice in hot water tumbled in a V8 jug and I am quite happy with the results. I don't understand the dry media and steel pins hype.

For those using chips, there are two ways I use to separate them from the brass and dirty water. You can either use the paint strainer sieve cloths painters use or get a large cooking sieve, possibly from a thrift store or restaurant quitting the business. The really large ones will filter the brass and chips out of the water and can then be separated. I use a thrift store food dehydrator to dry both the media and brass.