FA tumbling media

bushwackr

Hi all I have been having an issue with the fa treated walnut tumbling media. It works great but it leaves a rust colored dust everywhere when I run the tumbler. Just wonder is this stuff too dry or just no good?

If you don't want to wait for the order to come in, I have also used "Brasso" from the cleaning section in the supermarket. Works, but not quite as well. About a tablespoon should do it. Be sure and run it for a few minutes before adding cases or it will clog inside some of them.

I got a bottle of wizards metal polish from napa. It looked like the same stuff that i put in my last tumbler.

i have used dryer sheets. just cut them in 1/4 sheet pieces and toss them in.
Cool idea, never tried it. I can see it now. Wife: "Where is my box of dryer sheets?" With the Pledge and your lipstick on my reloading bench. "Why are you always taking my stuff?" "Tell you what, bring them back inside and I will show you how to use them properly." Or something like that not printable. BTW pledge is perfect to slick up charge bars on Dillons and Mecs...

Hi all I have been having an issue with the fa treated walnut tumbling media. It works great but it leaves a rust colored dust everywhere when I run the tumbler. Just wonder is this stuff too dry or just no good?

The treated media has a reddish polishing compound applied to it to clean and polish the brass.

You can buy "untreated" walnut media in pet stores called Lizard Litter that works great. I just add a little Nu Finish car polish that keeps the cases from tarnishing and no red dust inside the cases.

Watch the video below and see for yourself. Watch to the end of the video past the pistol shooters, it covers the Nu Finnish car polish that leaves no dust on the cases.

NOTE, I cut up paper towels into two inch squares and spray a little water on them just barely damp. This will pickup any dirt and dust from the cases and media when placed in the tumbler.

Last edited:
If you don't want to wait for the order to come in, I have also used "Brasso" from the cleaning section in the supermarket. Works, but not quite as well. About a tablespoon should do it. Be sure and run it for a few minutes before adding cases or it will clog inside some of them.
You should never use Brasso or any other product that contains ammonia. It will weaken the brass, which could result in the case failing.
As previously suggested, a capful of tumbling polish (Flitz,etc) designed for cartridge cases (notice I didn't say brass). Let it run about 15 minutes before you put the cases in.

run from any pet media typically too large and will fill cases for you to try and empty.

run from all additives except NUFINISH car POLISH . half the cost of BRASS polish. orange and black bottle everywhere walmart car stores amazon.

for media try graniger, with a couple of fellow shooters buy a bag( 40 lbs) of
BLASTING MEDIA..fine ground corn cob.

i retired last year from over 12 years in the cartridge brass business. ground corn cob is the std of the industry..typically in cement mixers( we do big loads). there is one company that has a wet system...unknown to the rest of us.
do not argue with me, i do not care, i am just passing on how i made my living for 12 plus years

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.