Stainless Steel tumbling media

thumbs

Has anyone used this media to clean .223 brass. Tonight was the first time I tried it and it worked fine but each case was packed with the media to the point where it took quite some time to clear each casing. Am I doing something wrong here or is this normal?

thanks for the help

You're not doing anything wrong. I noticed the same thing. It just takes a little more time getting them out.

I guess it's pretty easy to do stuff like 9mm where the walls are straight. I really didn't expect it would take so long just to get the media out of the casing. I do like the way it cleans. I wonder if an ultrasound would clean as well and be less labor intensive? Have you tried ultrasonic cleaning?

Have the hornady ultrasonic and stainless tumbling. As far as I'm concerned the ultra sonic is garbage! Get the media separator and you'll be done in 30 seconds

stainlesstumblingmedia.com/media-separator-deluxe.html

Have the hornady ultrasonic and stainless tumbling. As far as I'm concerned the ultra sonic is garbage! Get the media separator and you'll be done in 30 seconds

stainlesstumblingmedia.com/media-separator-deluxe.html

Ok let me get this straight. This "tumbling type" media separator will get the stainless pins out of a necked down case such as a .223 casing right? The pins get into the case and get stuck because they can't get though the neck of the case. Now they are in there pretty well. They seem to come out better if I shake the case under water rather than shaking them and tapping them on the side of the bucket. I see in the instructions for the media separator they suggest for stainless steel media to have the bottom separator in water. Don't mind spending the money but want it to get the pins out of the smaller necked casings.

thanks for the help

Never used it for 223 but with my 22-243 it works amazing. Still a good idea to check every case. Tried it once with no tumbler and it's a pain! You won't be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.