Sub 2k long range hunting scope?

Im no expert. But Im 64 years old & Retired and shoot at a gun range nearly every day.Ive hunted all over the USA and Canada.I got into long range shooting 4 years ago .I use FFP scopes for that.But They are not what you really want to hunt with. Get a Second Focal Plain with what ever power you need depending on where you are hunting.If its going to be long range like Prong Horns in West TX or NM with 500 yard shots get a 6-18 power or so.If you going to be hunting where its 100 yard shot a 3-9 should be fine.But you really dont want FFP scope and have to adjust the parallax and then on low power you cant see the reticle..Thats my opinion and experience. GOOD LUCK
Fantastic post * sound advice. Thanks for passin along the decades of experience.

My issue is not with high power scopes for hunting, although they are mostly unnecessary. My issue is with highly variable magnification range and FFP reticles for hunting. Having additional "horsepower" is great for flexibility. But I have yet to see a 6x variable with a useable FFP reticle across the range. The best I've seen has tapered crosshairs that appear to stay the same size as you "zoom". I can't remember who made that. Burris?

anyway, I have used my H59 and other Xmas tree reticles hunting. They have their place in my quiver. But it is not my first choice. my go to rifle scope is a 3.5-10 VX3i with windplex and cds. It meets all my needs. Keeps it simple. And I spend virtually no time setting up a shot.

there is no perfect scope. But the simple reliable old 3-9 duplex covers 90% of hunting shots. My high speed Bushnell 3.5-21x H59 actually covers less due to the invisible reticle at 3.5-10x. Great for precision long range. Not so great for a 100 yard first light chip shot.
Outstanding post. Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.